Minneapolis Community & Technical College Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

"Adjunct Faculty"

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Minneapolis Community & Technical College part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The ability to work independently at a job you love, meet interesting people, and touch people's lives in a very profound way; work with wonderful people and make new friends.

Cons

I would have liked the opportunity to work more closely with fellow instructors to exchange ideas and discuss how to deal with certain student issues.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for faculty interaction at regular intervals, perhaps once a quarter, to discuss specific topics and solicit input.

"More changes are needed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Minneapolis Community & Technical College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with students to help them access higher education – particularly those who did not believe that to be possible - is an exciting and rewarding experience. The organization is incredibly diverse with students and staff of all ages from all over the world coming together in this one beautiful spot downtown. You can’t beat their location on Loring Park within walking distance of the Walker Art Center and everything happening in downtown Minneapolis. There are a number of talented individuals who are attracted to the college because of the mission and the community they serve.

Cons

The toxic environment and culture led to a vote of no confidence in the college president and leadership in 2013. Despite numerous climate surveys, consultants and finally even a transition in president in 2014 the environment remains a problem. Power plays, politics and bullying were common and I witnessed three different staff members experience breakdowns due to issues. Much of my work was interrupted, put on hold, and often we had to start over or scrap projects due to employee, administrator or faculty transition. With financial issues, drops in enrollment and continued cuts to programs, employment is less steady and staff layoffs will continue.

Advice to Management

When your employees (faculty or staff) are engaged, happy and motivated they will do a better job and they will go above and beyond to help you to be successful. You create that culture by treating them well, giving positive feedback and valuing their expertise and development.

3. "Loved Teaching here."

Former Employee - Instructor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Instructor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Minneapolis Community & Technical College (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was great, and the rom i taught in was vwey good.

Cons

Classes I was going to teach would get canceled.

"Great job to help a lot of people personally in their process of entering college."

Current Employee - Peer Mentor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Peer Mentor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Minneapolis Community & Technical College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn many different positions and work with other departments connect to yours.
    Work one on one with students on the phones and in person
    Hours are very flexible, you basically make your own hours.
    Really understanding of times when your sick or late as long as you call and email ahead
    Offer you the chance to make up hours

Cons

Not a lot of supervision, so a lot of people slack off and disappear, leave the work to others.
    No place for advancement in this position, have to move to a different area for advancement.

Advice to Management

Work on paying attention to your workers actions

5. "This college is a place that has honed my skills as a vibrant, creative, and student centered instructor."

Current Employee - Adjunct Teacher in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Teacher in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Minneapolis Community & Technical College part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at MCTC are the diverse student body, the location, and the flexibility.

Cons

As an adjunct instructor, I have sought the full time status to no avail. I have been there so long, that I wish that my part-time status might be transformed into a full time one.

6. "MCTC revies"

I have been working at Minneapolis Community & Technical College full-time

Pros

Good Team environment and collaboration.

Cons

Pay is not based on performance, but instead, length of employment.

7. "Paid work-study"

I have been working at Minneapolis Community & Technical College part-time

Pros

Awesome people and interesting work

Cons

Not a lot of pay

""Downer" atmosphere"

I have been working at Minneapolis Community & Technical College full-time

Pros

The location is easily accessible, walkable to restaurants, and right on Loring Park.

Cons

Resignations are the norm here. You just learn someone's name and position and then, poof, they're gone. There are tight groups of friends among faculty, but for the most part, faculty teach their courses and go home. A sense of "community" is sorely lacking, and one ends up feeling on their own in a big campus. The students are friendly and polite.

Advice to Management

Seeing the "big picture" is of no consequence without starting "at the bottom" (ensuring a happy workforce) and THEN looking at ways to plan for the future. It's backward right now.

9. "Work Study"

Current Employee - Work Study
    Current Employee - Work Study

I have been working at Minneapolis Community & Technical College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a good opportunity to make connections within the school. As a work study your classes and homework in your main priority and they work around that.

Cons

Only 20 hours per week. Sometimes chaotic.

"Depends on your department"

I have been working at Minneapolis Community & Technical College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The college truly serves the most diverse juncture of individuals in this state. It is, for many students, THE bridge to their success. Hearing a student gush about an incredible instructor, experience or opportunity is extremely validating, and has kept me going for years.

Cons

The departments are very siloed. In addition to a stark delineation between faculty and staff (and the very different opportunities available to the people who fall in those categories), departments themselves can be very separated. The college is a state entity, and is thus 1) pressured to do the most with the least, and 2) subject to opacity, bureaucracy, stagnation, top-heavy decision making, egos, complacency and isolation. Each department is vastly different, and the shining stars truly stand out among the best experiences I've ever had in my professional career. It's a delicate dance between going in with energy, enthusiasm and ideas and running into the brick walls of bureaucracy, egos, isolation and so on. I've stayed for as long as I have because I truly believe in the mission of the college, though there are challenging days.