Minnesota Judicial Branch Reviews | Glassdoor

Minnesota Judicial Branch Chief Justice Lorie Skjerven Gildea
Lorie Skjerven Gildea

"Human Resources Manager"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Mankato, MN

I worked at Minnesota Judicial Branch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefit package, and leave program. Great work conditions.

Cons

Being a public entity, a lot of "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine" goes on. Poor managers are overlooked rather than dealt with if it would be a for profit company. Unfortunately, many (not all) of the employees exemplify the reputation of state workers not working very hard - especially when you consider the excellent benefits and wages they receive.

Advice to Management

Identify and deal with the problem managers. There are more poor managers than there are poor lower level employees.

2. "Review of the 5th Judicial District"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Mankato, MN

I worked at Minnesota Judicial Branch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and pay scale! Up-to-date computer and office equipment, furnishings and supplies. 11 paid holidays and vacation & sick leave time is also a great bonus!

Cons

Because it is not a privately owned company, there is some waste of money and failure to address performance issues of top management.

Advice to Management

Take a close look at unnecessary spending. Don't let poor managers get by with doing less than average work!

3. "Great place to work with dedicated employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Great organization where people work hard and at the end of the day know they are making a difference and serving the general public for the greater good.

Cons

As an organization, things can sometimes move very slowly. Although the Minnesota Judicial Branch is a leader among other states, it is still behind the private sector in technology and services.

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing in regards to employee satisfaction and being a leader in court administration, but improve the time it takes to deliver new technologies and services.

5. "Judicial Law Clerk"

I worked at Minnesota Judicial Branch full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, exposure to broad variety of cases that you would likely not see as a practicing attorney, congenial atmosphere.

Cons

Low pay, heavy work load (depends on which court you are clerking for - court of appeals having highest work load), invisibility as a clerk.

Advice to Management

Better pay would be a start - hard to pay all bills plus student loans and support a family on clerk's salary. More in-house/free CLEs needed.

6. "Great gig but poor communication for what it is"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Minnesota Judicial Branch as a contractor

Pros

Excellent benefits, good pay for many roles

Cons

Salary freezes due to state budget; raises held for years; unqualified hires for new managers

7. "Lots of great things going on!"

I have been working at Minnesota Judicial Branch full-time

Pros

Fast paced, great benefits, pay is good.

Cons

The only chance for advancement is when someone retires or dies.

Advice to Management

Leadership would do well to ask the rank and file how the manager-level staff live out the recommendations in the Quality Workplace Initiative. Not seeing it where I work.

8. "Judicial Law Clerk"

Current Employee - Judicial Law Clerk
    Current Employee - Judicial Law Clerk

I have been working at Minnesota Judicial Branch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work generally is interesting, and you see an interesting variety of cases - and lawyers. You'll gain some exposure to real Minnesota law, rather than just the general principles you learned in law school. Most of the best and worst of this job is driven by the judge you work for - that relationship is paramount.

Cons

When I was in law school, the general wisdom was that prospective future employers would view the clerkship credential as a desirable one. That has not been my experience. I think sometimes the clerkship has landed me an interview, but I've encountered employers who were convinced I would have difficulty serving as an "advocate" or who felt that even a few months of "practice experience" was more valuable than my years of clerking. I worried that there was an expiration date on a law clerk's value, and in my experience, there sure has been. I think this job can be a good opportunity, but I would start looking for a new job by the time I'd been there for 9 months and I'd be getting desperate (and non-picky) for a new job by 18 months.

Advice to Management

In my time in this job, my share of administrative responsibilities has grown, having been sent in from Court Administration. I do not enjoy these administrative tasks, especially because I believe they interfere with my actual research and writing.

9. "Just started"

I have been working at Minnesota Judicial Branch full-time

Pros

Just started, so I don't know the pros yet. They were nice throughout the interview process.Just started, so I don't know the pros yet. They were nice throughout the interview process.

Cons

Just started, so I don't know the cons yet. They were nice throughout the interview process.Just started, so I don't know the cons yet. They were nice throughout the interview process.

Advice to Management

Just started, so I don't know yet. They were nice throughout the interview process.Just started, so I don't know yet. They were nice throughout the interview process.

10. "ok,"

Pros

easy hours, not much job pressure

Cons

at the mercy of your judge

11. "Pretty Decent"

I have been working at Minnesota Judicial Branch full-time

Pros

Great benefits, people are friendly and it's union

Cons

impossible to be promoted, low pay