Minted Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Minted Founder & CEO Mariam Naficy
Mariam Naficy

Pros
  • It is the best drama free work environment (in 13 reviews)

• Great Environment, Great People, Great Perks (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • It takes 1 full year working full time to even qualify for benefits, so good luck if you have to go to the dentist (in 14 reviews)

• Very busy during the holiday season (in 13 reviews)

"Opportunity for growth, if you really want it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Minted is a great place to get your foot in the door during their seasonal opportunities. I started as a seasonal design associate and have moved up into a comfortable position within the four years i've been here. With positivity, dedication and passion for the brand I have really grown so much personally and seized many opportunities for growth that were presented to me. I am happy to say that I love my job and am enthusiastic to come in everyday and be exposed to the amazing designs & products we all work so hard to get on the site in front of our customers. Some people may see contracted positions as a con, but if you put in the hard work and present yourself as a culture fit for the company there are people paying attention and willing to work with you to help you create a career. Gorgeous office, fun working environment, and creativity is everywhere!

Cons

I will say that we are paid below market value in most positions at minted, it would be awesome to get up to the industry standard in san francisco.

Advice to Management

Be willing to go above and beyond for those who go above and beyond for the company.

"It wasn't right for me"

Former Employee - Lead Product Data Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Product Data Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People. You will work side by side some extremely talented folks.

Cons

To start, there's very little training into the vast, internal structure. There is a ton of in-speak, acronyms, and politics to understand to be effective.
    You will be expected to know everything with no training or proper on-boarding support from mangers.
    Managers tend to focus on harshly exploiting your weak points with no recommendations or support for improvement. Managers will barely acknowledge your strengths or achievements. If you have a bad relationship with your manager don't expect much help or mediation. When I asked HR who to talk to about being mismanaged and verbally abused by a co-worker I was told that I shouldn't bring it up and just power through. (This pissed me off.) One manger in particular has been known to gossip, if you work In merch ops expect every private discussion with your manger to be spread amongst your co-workers.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate yourselves & others mangers. Placing someone as a manger just fill a spot creates frustration & bad moral. Peer to peer reviews are not a good idea when tension & frustrations are high. Many people received rather harsh peer to peer reviews, why HR or mangers gave these to employees is beyond me.

3. "If you work hard and think creatively, you will go far here"

Current Employee - Associate Merchandising Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Merchandising Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive, fun work environment. Much opportunity for growth.

Cons

Priorities deadlines are constantly shifting.

4. "Design Associate"

Former Employee - Mac/PC Seasonal Design Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Mac/PC Seasonal Design Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with other designers and artist is fun, and the people are generally very nice. The team leads tend to do a good job providing direction, support and leadership. The pay seems to be improving as well. It's near the BART/ Bus stops and at a very convenient location in downtown Oakland.

Cons

The seasonal hours suck during the crunch time which last for around the month of December.

Advice to Management

You've got a good thing going, but make it more flexible for part work to become available.

5. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted (Less than a year)

Pros

great ethics, fast get down and go ethic

Cons

working on messy spaghetti code a lot

6. "Underappreciates employees"

Former Contractor - Technical Quality Control Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Technical Quality Control Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to gain experience and design knowledge
    Community/team is fun and friendly

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement
    Very difficult to get full-time work -- I spent almost two years there on contract until it was abruptly terminated
    Takes over a year for contract employees to receive benefits
    No incentives to work hard or be a quality employee, as there is no job security or bonuses for the best employees
    Contractors are treated as expendable and replaceable
    Wages are very low compared to competing companies

Advice to Management

Value all employees
    Recognize and reward exemplary work
    Hire employees full-time more regularly rather than constantly extending contracts by small increments of time
    Provide benefits on a more reasonable schedule
    Provide competitive wages

"Great start-up to join!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted (More than a year)

Pros

Minted is a fast growing, on-demand e-commerce player specializing in stationery, art and home decor. Minted uses technology and the crowd to source the best designs from artists around the world to deliver highly customized merchandise. You get to work at a great company in a beautiful office right near the Embarcadero in San Francisco. They have great snacks too!

Cons

It is really hard to think of any cons. Minted might be the perfect place to work.

8. "Like designer sweatshop"

Former Contractor - Design Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks when available

Cons

Where to start, awful working hours, very bad supervision structure, cared very little about the actual designer and treated more like a number who had to churn out high numbers or else you didn't get scheduled.

Advice to Management

Treat the designers better, give them worth and don't treat them like you a number.

9. "Great Place to Learn."

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People in the team are kind , smart and working hard. Great working environment. Flat structure. Strict Coding Style. 1 to 1 mentor. All the work were pushed to Production.

Cons

Lots of meetings sometimes. No daily lunch provided and had to prepare by yourself. No other cons I can list any more.

Advice to Management

Keep the origin flat and open structures, and improve the communications of different teams. That's will be great. I think Minted is growing fast .

"Contractor"

Former Contractor - Design Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to advance quickly internally.

Cons

Hours are not guaranteed, possibility for full time employment after contract is expired is a bust, work stations are not up to industry standards and are dated.

Advice to Management

Spend more time finding candidates that not only meet the educational, experience and technical qualifications but are a good culture/social fit.