Mintz Levin Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Firm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Mintz Levin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the most part people very happy, nice and helpful

Cons

None that come to mind

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing

"Former Associate - Team Morale is Down and Turnover is High"

I worked at Mintz Levin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Location: Directly in front of South Station, so a breeze of a commute
    - IT Support: The firm's IT support group is fantastic and super responsive

Cons

- Lack of transparency with hours requirements. When you join the firm, HR tells you one thing about your billing target and the bonus structure, and it's full of fluff. In reality, management is expecting a much higher number. The bonus structure is definitely not an "opt in" incentive, no matter how much HR tries to tell you it is, and with the bonus amounts being so low compared to other firms, it's super frustrating and, frankly, not worth it.
    - Commitment to pro bono is dwindling. The firm used to be (and in some circles continues to be) known for its serious commitment to pro bono and really putting its money where its mouth is to serve the community. This is a big part of the reason I chose Mintz. When I joined the firm, all pro bono hours counted as billable hours. The firm changed this policy and now only counts pro bono hours as they relate to your bonus calculation after taking billable hours into account (i.e. you need to bill 1850 hours and have 2000 total hours). The result is that if you're low on hours, the last thing you'll do is take on a pro bono matter, or, if you're close to a higher bonus tier, you'll pile on the billable work and forget about pro bono work altogether. This is super unfortunate and has resulted in a reduction in associates' willingness to take on pro bono matters. It's frustrating to see the firm continue to tout its commitment to pro bono while silently changing its policies on this, knowing it will decrease pro bono work.
    - Powerless HR Department/Section Management. I get it; it's a big law firm and it will be demanding. However, HR and section management were clearly powerless to effectuate any change in the way associates are treated by partners. There were certain partners that had terrible reputations for treating associates horribly, and the advice my colleagues and I were generally given was "avoid working with him/her." This really set the tone for a) allowing these people to continue behaving badly, and b) precluding associates from gaining valuable experience in certain practice areas because the people in those areas were so awful. I definitely didn't feel like associates were well protected from this in my section. Many times it also felt much like an "Old Boys Club."
    - Culture is dwindling. The firm used to be known as a firm that embraced its local Boston roots and shied away from trying to keep up with the bigger firms, particularly with respect to their approach to work-life balance and competition. However, my experience at Mintz was quite similar to my friends' experiences at these firms, particularly during the end of my time there. Management seems to now be focused on making Mintz a New York firm at any cost, and the first victim of that approach is the culture. My colleagues seemed overworked and bitter, and the more senior associates/partners were often openly nostalgic for the "old" days at Mintz.
    - High turnover among Associates. There's been a lot of turnover throughout the last couple of years, and the firm (or at least a few sections) is becoming a firm of laterals. I only knew of about 2 people in my section that had actually summered at the firm and stayed on to become senior associates. This is another factor that's hurting the culture.

Overall, compared to the other "big" law firms in town, Mintz is probably better. However, it's looking more and more similar to them as time goes on.

Advice to Management

You're running a business in a very competitive environment, so there will certainly be obstacles to maintaining the firm's culture while continuing to grow. However, you need to treat your associates better and actually support them so they will want to contribute to this growth and stay along for the ride. Once you become a firm of bitter, lateral associates with no culture, what will separate you from the rest of the big firms?

3. "Associate"

I worked at Mintz Levin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mintiz Levin is just a few steps from the train station and subway station. It is the best location from wherever you live. You will have a shorter commuting time than working for any other big law firm.

Cons

The bonus is not as great as other big law firms. Some practice groups have low ratings.

4. "Loved Mintz"

I worked at Mintz Levin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great place to work

Cons

Can't say anything negative about this place

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

5. "interesting place"

Current Employee - Attorney in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Attorney in Boston, MA

I have been working at Mintz Levin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

High-profile matters, well-connected firm, lots of talented people and good opportunity to make great connections. Though it may not be the #1 most prestigious firm in Boston, this is still the "big time" in terms of law practice, and you'll learn a lot just by keeping your eyes open.

Cons

Working in a large law firm can suck at times as they are all very demanding, and you can't really establish any power within the firm unless you develop a big book of business. So you need to stand up for yourself and make sure you don't get pushed around or mistreated by any partners or anyone else as an associate. If you go in ready to walk out and leave at any time (not being wedded to the idea of having to make partner), you'll do fine. And if you develop your own book of business, which you should over time, you'll do well whether you stay or go.

Advice to Management

It seems the turnover of associates has to cause a lot of inefficiencies / lost productivity. I know the nature of the beast is to have a pyramid structure, though I don't buy that that's the best model.

6. "Strong law firm to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Mintz Levin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work life balance.
    Great location
    Great benefits and extras
    strong management
    I enjoyed my time there as my direct manager was very good. The company was very understanding during the difficult winter commutes.

Cons

Work is compartmentalized and not very diverse.
    Salary scale for staff is a little on the low side for the industry.
    Nothing cutting edge, slow to adopt new technology.

Advice to Management

Look to advance the supporting technology a little more. Increase salaries a bit if you can. Otherwise the firm appears to be on the right path.

7. "Pretty good place for staff"

Current Employee - Staff Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Mintz Levin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- challenging work
    - Non attorneys have a voice in the C suite - COO and CMO help drive business strategy
    - Partners are often left to run wild - it's difficult to differentiate the contributors to the hangers-on from a staff perspective so you know where to focus your energy
    - diversity is pretty good for an old Boston firm

Cons

- see above comment re: stodgy
    - some lawyers very resistant to change

Advice to Management

N/a

8. "Good, challenging experience."

Former Employee - Project Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Mintz Levin (More than a year)

Pros

There are undoubtedly mentors to be had at Mintz Levin. Seek them out. They truly care about your professional development.

Cons

If you do decide you don't want to go to law school it can be difficult at times to forge your own path. Again, lean on mentors for support.

9. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Mintz Levin (More than 3 years)

Pros

Just a great company. Programs for employees, great benefits, and great location. I was an employee there for 4 years before moving. I hated to leave

Cons

I really don't have any cons to list. Again like I said a great law firm that took value in making the workplace great.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to continue doing what you are doing. Continue making the work place pleasant. Continue being great

10. "Telecom Analyst"

Former Employee - Telecom Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Telecom Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Mintz Levin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All around great place to work

Cons

Commuter rail to work undependable

Advice to Management

Continue in the same direction