Minute Clinic Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Minute Clinic Executive Vice President and Associate Chief Medical Officer Andrew Sussman
Andrew Sussman

Pros
  • flexible schedule, OK money, reimbursement for DEA (in 15 reviews)

• For new grads, the book of MC guidelines can be helpful (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited scope of practice for practice model (in 10 reviews)

• No work life balance- you have to find your replacement for off days, vacations, etc (in 6 reviews)

"Ok for new grads"

Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Columbus, OH

I worked at Minute Clinic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, great benefits, decent pay

Cons

No autonomy. All diagnosis are computer generated as are treatment options. You cannot deviate from the algorithm without receiving chastising emails from corporate. It is Burger King for medicine; if you do not give the patient what they want, you will get a bad review.

"Great Start for Newby"

Former Employee - APRN
    Former Employee - APRN

I worked at Minute Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-low stress environment (leave work at work)
    -supportive collaborating physicians and colleagues
    -Decent insurance - high deductible but better than some plans that I've seen in the market
    -you provide a much needed service to communities
    -great start for new grad- learn to treat acute conditions based upon current evidence based guidelines
    -scope of practice is expanding

Cons

-No work life balance- you have to find your replacement for off days, vacations, etc. You have to take call (frequency depends on district), you have to submit requests for days off months in advance, you work every other weekend
    -clinic hours may shorten in summer months
    -average pay (not competitive nor negotiable)
    -Managers are somewhat supportive- they have to "manage" so the main goal is to keep clinics open.
    -You will be expected to market the clinic to promote services and ensure sufficient patient volume for operation. Marketing isn't really a con but it's never shared during the interview process so for that, I'm listing as a con. The on call process is another topic that's never explained or shared during the hiring process. I think people should be informed and it creates a trustworthy relationship for retention.
    -lack of respect from store staff/managers/and some customers. You're not viewed as a "real provider or practitioner" but rather a CVS store employee.
    -lost of skills (no X-ray or lab interpretation, no chronic disease management)

Advice to Management

Be transparent-open and honest from the initial encounter and so on. Be supportive. Be compassionate. Be engaged. Make a strategic retention plan and implement it. (don't make clinic practitioners do this, we do enough). Treat us as professionals.

"Fnp"

Current Employee - APRN in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - APRN in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not enough to list. Management are transparent, IT is slow to help, multiple system issues- never had so many Passcodes in my life, nor so many miles on my car being floated all over creation. If you think you're ready to be tested in terms of patience, ethics, tolerating absolute lack of civility, manners, and professionalism and you like bringing food to meetings because the company is that cheap sign on!

Cons

FYI: your health insurance and 491k shut off the day you resign, any "bonus gift cards" are rescinded - but you'll still be taxed. Expect to have managers wheedle you into working beyond your resignation date, then after you comply out of kindness and commitment ask you to return on your own accord to turn in keys and lab coats.

Advice to Management

Get real

5. "Run away as fast as you can!"

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1 hour lunch
    Colleagues
    5 word minimum, so using characters, but NO OTHER pros

Cons

Worse JOB in my entire nursing career! managers are puppets, all about profit for the company! Ridiculous NP turnover! NP are lowest on totem pole, just want a warm body to see patients. Allowed 18 minutes start to finish to see patients. Required to see & charge every patient even if you know you cant help them (unethical). Revolving door, inappropriate antibiotic dispensing hole in the wall. Too many addititional task to complete in addition to seeing patients!

Advice to Management

Should be ashamed of yourselves!

6. "A wonderul place to work"

I have been working at Minute Clinic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The nurse practitioners are awesome

Cons

At times there are impatient people

"Not warm and fuzzy"

Former Employee - Physician Assistant in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Physician Assistant in Providence, RI

I worked at Minute Clinic (More than a year)

Pros

I had great peers. The patient population was diverse. I only had to work every 3rd weekend. We had parties and meetings so got to know each other

Cons

Under new management, all about the $$$.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers

"Go for it."

Former Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner in Memphis, TN

I worked at Minute Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay. Great bridge to get into the field especially if you want the knowledge of owning your own clinic.

Cons

Meticulous chart reviews that undermine your degree. No real say so on schedule when short staffed. Insurance plans aren't too great .

"FNP"

Pros

When I worked here it was flexible scheduling, it was nice, just worked out with my clinic partner. It is a great job to learn the role of the nurse practitioner. They paid well in comparison to competitors.

Cons

Busy, the front line with the patients. Demands for perfect patient satisfaction and high volume. Also don't count on your manager giving you a reference later on (the reason I gave it a 3 star). No job security, they can drop you without notice. Weekends and long hours. Strict on what patients you can see there. No growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Add job security. Provide references in the future, advocate more for the providers. Provide growth/opportunities to NP's.

"Employees come last"

Current Employee - FNP
    Current Employee - FNP

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Pros are that 30 hours is considered FT and qualifies you for Healthcare benefits, albeit terrible and very expensive. Holiday shifts are typically reduced hours and are paid at time and a half.

Cons

Employees are not well respected. There is a very high turnover rate. You are constantly asked to work extra, requests for time off are frequently denied. If you are sick, you are pushed to find coverage on your own and or work another day in another location on a day off. The managers are so overworked and are responsible for so many clinics and providers, you can't even get in touch with them. They often do not even live anywhere near the clinics and may be in another state altogether. The company is focused on volume not quality. Providers are evaluated based on volume, computer speed, and net promoter scores based on patient surveys. The company continuously downsizes, changes its model, job descriptions, and policies to meet budgets. The computer systems go down routinely. The IT department is unable to troubleshoot and the average time spent waiting for them on the phone is 30 minutes or more. There are no prescription pads so providers have to call in scripts when the sysyem goes down. The phones also go down at times making patient care even more challenging. The NP works alone and is responsible for every aspect of keeping clinics open and operational on top of total patient care and housekeeping.

Advice to Management

Have more respect for your employees. Understand that when employees come first, retention, accountability, and profitability will follow.

"Fnp"

Current Employee - FNP in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - FNP in Durham, NC

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hourly pay with time and a half for over 40 hours; Ability to work autonomously without on-site management presence; Strict "no narcotics" prescribing policy to protect providers

Cons

Lots of admin and marketing duties in addition to seeing patients (but they do tell you about this during the application process); Picking up the slack of other providers who do not do their fair share of clinic duties; Outdated IT system with lots of issues and policy of not being able to check email from home

Advice to Management

I think management really does care and try their best - it shows in their actions and the success of the company. I would like to see everyone held accountable to the same high standards so clinics are run as a partnership between providers, not by one provider doing all the "behind the scenes" work while another just shows up, punches the time clock, and sits around waiting for patients to arrive. I would like the ability to check email from home so I can cross that off my admin duty list before I even arrive to work, and spend more of my paid work hours with patients. I do wish I received a response to suggestions I have made to Shared Leadership Council -- to my knowledge and from reading the minutes, none of my suggestions were even brought forth to management.