Miraca Life Sciences Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Frank Basile

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Didn't have to worry about forgetting to stop for beverages as there was free coffee available (in 7 reviews)

• Company is forward thinking and looks to grow in over the next 5 years (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No one is safe except management (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management in Irving is out of touch, yes the made Frank leave last July (2016) but new management is no better (in 4 reviews)

1. "Decent Company,"

I worked at Miraca Life Sciences full-time

Pros

good exposure to different internal stakeholders

Cons

sometimes management wasn't clear about long-term goals

"Don't aim high with expectations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Miraca Life Sciences full-time

Pros

The work itself is manageable and coworkers are generally very nice. Definitely a close knit environment any shift you're on.

Cons

Technology is atrociously out of date, facility is falling apart. Also expect coworkers to sometimes ignore maintenance-related problems for days on end. I am evening shift and took the initiative to figure out how to write help desk tickets, but not knowing that doesn't excuse morning and afternoon shift sharing hours with maintenance and not mentioning it to them.

I made a sacrifice when I chose to work night shift hours, and management treats overtime, coverage, etc not as going above and beyond (no problem if you don't do it), but simply as an expectation and it will reflect badly if you don't take the initiative, never mind the fact that my schedule has affected things outside of work and my motivation has progressively declined because technology is just failing in ways I sometimes couldn't even imagine.

"Needs work"

I have been working at Miraca Life Sciences full-time

Pros

The coworkers are easy to work with. The atmosphere can be ok but sometimes negative.

Cons

Management needs work. They never fully clue you in and say one thing, but do another.

"High TurnOver Rate"

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Irving, TX

I have been working at Miraca Life Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-Works, Work Hours, Pot lucks, Location of Job

Cons

Management. No one is on the same page or seems to know whats going on

Advice to Management

Take management training courses

5. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Miraca Life Sciences full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been here almost a year and have enjoyed it. People are nice and job is challenging.

Cons

Need more team building activities

6. "Titanic: Ring Around the Rosie"

Current Employee - Pathologist Assistant II
    Current Employee - Pathologist Assistant II

I have been working at Miraca Life Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

OTS of Overtime.
    Great place to start and get experience in the industry (once you have the exp I recommend moving on)
    Decent sick time
    Awesome vacation time
    Managment always talking about growth within the business
    Lots of Diversity in the workplace (gay, mentally challenged, minorities, etc.)
    Plenty of opportunities for Overtime (always lean in the lab)
    Great opportunities for advancement if you are a yes-man or a toady

Cons

Unorganized due to all the growth and lack of a focus on employee retention. It's been said in more than one meeting, if you don't like it here, leave. Not exactly professional behaivor of a leadership team engaging their staff. If they can't put teeth into you, you'll be forced to leave. Valuable employees rarely stick around and the majority have left in the past three years. It's difficult to meet productivity and TAT goals when staff is always lean or the resources are just not there.

There is rarely any investment into the staff. Few people ever get funds for training/conferences and even if they did, they never get a chance to train due to the amount of hours they have to work.

Merit raises and "bonuses" are borderline insulting in light of the hours invested by employees on weekend and nights.
    Very little communication between leadership and staff, in-office bullying and gossiping, and a ton of corporate finger pointing. This has lead to the creation of a toxic work environment and many Eeyore's on staff.

We are stuck in an extremely long lease for the building and have very little lab space to expand, therefore, you'll be forever bumping elbows with someone. And because the company is running so lean at the moment many job promotions do not come with a salary increase, your "promotion" is a title and increased responsiblities. I should mention as well advancement is only possible if you are considered a favorite; skill, ability, and intelligence mean nothing. It's unfortunate that brown-nosers are the one's most likely to advance and this can be seen most apparently in the leadership staff.

No real innovation although they are proud of their new LIS - coming soon! The company has been testing out remote working in the transcription and accessioning departments. I predict these uncomplicated jobs will be outsourced to India where employees will do the work at a quarter of the pay.

Revenue will trend down over time (already is) and the company is more likely to fold or sell assets within the next decade due to the revolving door staffing problems especially in the client services department. They've grown too fast and haven't focused hardly any attention on employees whom are the ones that "make a company great". The client services department continues to have a huge amount of turnover and if you can't keep your clients happy you certainly can't keep revenue and case volume up.

I have so much more to add but I think this provides a fairly objective view into this organization for anyone who's read this far.

Advice to Management

Don't make employment retention decisions based on reviews here.

7. "Good Job"

Former Employee - Help Desk Technician Lvl II in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Help Desk Technician Lvl II in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Miraca Life Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management cared, good benefits , good people

Cons

time clocks! office politics with some of management

Advice to Management

invest in your people more and trust them.

8. "Miraca"

I have been working at Miraca Life Sciences full-time

Pros

This company offers great hours, easy job, lenient points system, good benefits including 401K and Roth IRA plans.

Cons

The downside to this company is the constant sitting in one place, staring at a computer, nonchallenging, overworking the good employees to pick up the slack for nonproductive employees.

Advice to Management

I would advise that they would look a little closer into the hiring process and monitor the behaviors of employees a little better.

"Gain experience and skills to grow"

I worked at Miraca Life Sciences full-time

Pros

Some management goes to bat for their team more than others.

Cons

Not a healthy environment, constant change in management and scheduling and employee turnover, puts a lot of pressure for people to pick up the slack. High degree of favoritism.

10. "Your Basic Data Entry Job"

Current Employee - Specimen Accessioner in Daphne, AL
    Current Employee - Specimen Accessioner in Daphne, AL

I have been working at Miraca Life Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable Job, Low Stress, Flexible Schedules

Cons

Monotonous, Not Much Career Growth