Mirantis Reviews in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

Mountain View, CA

4.5
Alex Freedland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Nice, friendly environment that deals in open source software (in 8 reviews)

• Great people who are all focused on delivering a great product (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • corporate culture is siloed and old fashioned - needs to be in tune with silicon valley norms (in 4 reviews)

• Unfortunate to be in the situation when the company was being restructured so many people left the company at that point (in 2 reviews)

"I think this company will kill it"

Current Employee - Deployment Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Deployment Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Wicked smart people, focused, driven, impressive CEO and SVP Sales
    Prodcut is good, industry "know how" is world class

Cons

A bit chaotic most days...lots of interest from large companies in market, we services guys are overworked

Advice to Management

Keep executing your plan, help us hire more services people...we are running thin

2. "Glad To Work Here"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mirantis as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Mirantis has really given me great first hand experience of what it's like to be in an office environment. I feel fortunate to be working with a group of people who are really cool and easy going, and who are also good workers/employees. The tasks that I'm given usually aren't too difficult, and if I ever need help or have a question, there's always someone with an answer.

Cons

Kind of curious as to what it's like to work in other departments and what the workload would be like. Currently, I'm given tasks that can be done in less than a day. So sometimes I wish I had more to do, or that I had things to do to last me the whole week.

Advice to Management

Maybe have more of a plan for new hires (mainly interns) coming in and make sure there's enough work for them to do while they're here. Otherwise, Mirantis is a great company and a chill place to work.

"Exciting company in a fast growing field."

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mirantis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is a leader in OpenStack - very fast moving. Great customers and projects.

Cons

Company growing faster than we can hire. Lots of change to keep up with.

Advice to Management

Drive aggressive hiring, and help promote a culture that values work-life balance.

"Great team spirit, lots of excellent technical people, often challenging, but in a good way!"

Current Employee - Cloud Architect in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Cloud Architect in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mirantis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great team of skilled and experienced Cloud engineers and technologists awaits. Due to the wide variety of customers and partners, acquiring new skills and knowledge is the way of life at Mirantis. The company is still small enough that you can see you really are making an impact and that you can be noticed by management. The team spirit and atmosphere are great.

Cons

The language barrier can be challenging at times, also meetings with other offices in the company often happen very early/late. This is mitigated by a lot of helpful colleagues, though. Pressure can be high at times.

"Nice intensively growing company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mirantis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a fun job in a really friendly atmosphere. Working schedule is pretty flexible unless you have meeting with Russian/Ukrainian teams at 8am. You can do those from home though.

Cons

There is no clear policy regarding bonuses/promotions and management is clearly not ready to meet employees asking for a raise. That does not mean that you would never get a bonus or a promotion, but this process is pretty much uncontrollable.

Advice to Management

Mirantis is growing. Keep on and well done :)

"Tech startup"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mirantis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities - growing funded tech startup

Cons

Very disoranized and chaotic, lack of clear direction and strategy on middle and low levels

"Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mirantis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Solid vision, product focus (Be the premier solution for organizations seeking OpenStack expertise, guidance and support)

* Clear leadership toward that focus (Appropriate funding, staffing, sales and R&D to support the vision)

* Exceptional HR support (Avaialble, thoughtful and AGILE HR)

* Actively setting an appropriate corporate culture (Really thinking about hte things that make an employee want to work here; while they are small and can't provide Facebook and Google Cafeterias: they do provide snacks, food, lunches, events that for their relative size are great. They are very considerate of the diversity of families and individuals and provide flexible work options)

* Allow for your desired workstation of choice - you spec it.

Overall - its a very good company that recognizes what it takes to set themselves aside in SV and accomodate quality talent.

Their only barrier to growth is the spped at which they can attract quality talent.

The barriers to entry on massively scaled private and public cloud infra is almost eliminated with the use of Mirantis technology and services. There are so many that could benefit from deploying their own "AWS" level-quality infrastructure with a massive support base in such a short period.

If you see dev-ops and IT-ops as commoditizing over the next few years, where a small, highly effective team can build massively scalable infrastructure extraordinarliy quickly so long as they are backed by world-class guidance and support -- then you can see the value Mirantis provides.

Some if the projects in the pipeline, should they be awarded and successful will be major milestones on the open source cloud history timeline.

Come be a part of this.

Cons

As an employee commuting from the East bay who despises driving, the only downside to Mirantis thus far is that public transit via caltrain is difficult.

There is competition for the professional services that Mirantis offers - but no other competitor provides a tool as useful as Fuel.

Companies like Facebook and Google will draw talent toward their closed, proprietary platforms. If you REALLY support the idea of OpenCompute then you should get some experience deplying OpenStack via Mirantis as you would not suffer from the myopic view of how a behemoth focuses on themselves.

Advice to Management

Please provide incentive to take public transit to the office. Taking Bart/Caltrain costs upwards of $400/month to come to the office daily.