Mirren Business Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Mirren Team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Mirren Business Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mirren is an enthusiastic, passionate and thoughtful community of colleagues and friends. Primarily based in Seattle, the company has team members around the world. I often find that you can judge a company by how they treat their remote team, and Mirren goes above and beyond. Remote team members are flown to Seattle or to events regularly and treated as a part of the team for meetings. Mirren has a fast-paced and occasionally stressful office environment, but counters it with bean bags, food, and chill music that the staff take turns programming. All-staff meetings - occasionally including team breakfasts - keep everyone on the same page. Major events throughout the year are an all-hands-on-deck affair and bring everyone together to help, and the teams stand behind one another. And it’s pretty hard to beat the space, right in downtown Ballard. There’s hardly a desk without a window and a view.

Cons

Management likes to be very involved and the team is very detailed-oriented. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing - staff across the team get to learn from a true master in the business. It certainly requires strong attention to detail, a commitment to working through challenges, and strong organization. The team is direct during the interview process, including sharing a fascinating personality test - a process that is intended to ensure that they hire those best-suited to the work and the team.

2. "Not a legitimate business"

I worked at Mirren Business Development full-time

Pros

You feel awesome after quitting.

Cons

The owner/manager/everything is a huckster. Also, I'm pretty sure he is a straight-up psychopath.

Advice to Management

Therapy: do it.

3. "Impressive Benefits & Support From Management"

Former Employee - Events Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Events Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Mirren Business Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Mirren I learned a tremendous amount about new business development, product positioning, website design, sales and marketing. I enjoyed learning the ins and outs of the advertising industry as well as interacting with agencies and researching potential speakers.

As a new mother, I was personally impressed with Mirren's maternity package which allows for compensation and up to three months of leave. This package goes above and beyond Washington state requirements for a company of Mirren's size.

Mirren's CEO was also enthusiastic in providing me the opportunity for continuing education. This helped me to build on skills that directly related to my position.

Cons

In my previous positions at larger companies, I had more staff and budget resources at my disposal. It was an adjustment for me moving to the smaller team at Mirren where you work directly with management.

Advice to Management

Continue leveraging the skills and strengths of your employees.

4. "Lots of Growth and Creative Opportunities"

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Mirren for a year now and find it to be a great place to work. Because it's a smaller company, you have your hands in a lot of different tasks and have the ability to really put your mark on the direction and projects. There’s never a dull moment and the company is constantly growing and looking to innovate and improve upon our products. I love being able to run with projects and use my creativity and self-drive to better Mirren’s services.

Cons

It can be very fast pace, so you have to be a go-getter with ambition and grit to succeed. I will say that even during stressful times, we have team outings and one on one check-ins to help make sure work and fun is balanced which is really nice.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for ways to innovate and grow and make sure there’s support in place to be able to foster this. It’s a really exciting time to be at Mirren!

5. "Opportunity for Growth at Small Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee’s opinions are valued regardless of seniority level. Lots of growth potential in the company, they invest in personal growth and make it a priority to ensure their employees are being fulfilled. Employees of all seniority levels get exposure to senior management team and the opportunity to collaborate with senior decision makers. Priorities change rapidly; could be seen as a pro or a con, but it keeps me feeling productive and like I’m making an impact on a daily basis. Upper management listens when you wave your red flags indicating high stress levels.

Cons

It is encouraged that employees work longer hours to get through their workloads during busy periods. Other team members stress can overflow to the rest of the team, and between different departments. It’s tough to get things approved with the bottleneck of upper management.

Advice to Management

Staff appropriately to achieve the ambitious business goals that are set. Consider hiring more trainers to alleviate bottleneck.

6. "We help marketing services firms improve their new business performance"

Current Employee - Client Services Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Client Services Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am on the training team and the biggest plus in my work is helping people do better at their jobs; we show them ways to increase their new business win rate and finds ways to get more business from their existing clients. My work is rewarding and I see the positive impact I have on people’s lives. I receive the support necessary to be successful and I am acknowledged for the contribution I make to the company. The culture is forward-thinking with time set aside to celebrate our hard work.

Cons

Because we are growing very rapidly resources can get stretched thin. But this actually means more opportunity for people to grow here at Mirren. You can take on new challenges and learn new things.

Advice to Management

Continue to build the training team and focus on business development.

7. "Dedicated Team. Opportunity to Scale and Grow Business."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

I’ve been working at Mirren on the Conference Team for 3 1/2 years now. It has been a great place to continue to grow my career as I’m constantly learning and developing. There is a ton of opportunity for me as an individual and always feel that there is an open door to discuss any issues that come up. I believe I make a big contribution to the company which brings a ton of personal reward to the work I do.

I also really enjoy my coworkers - they are so dedicated and effective in their roles. I’m lucky to work with such a strong team!

Cons

As I do not work on our training strategy team, I am often dependent on them to develop content for my various projects. This can be challenging given their client travel schedule and can create a bottleneck at times.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of potential for more growth at Mirren. Continue to hire more senior trainers to help with bottleneck and scalability of the company.

8. "Room for Growth if You Show Initiative"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Mirren Business Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Mirren in the Member Services Department for nearly 4 years, as an Account Manager.

It’s a small company but there’s a ton of room for growth here. You really have the ability to write your own job description and run with it. Essentially, if you see a need - and have strong recommendations - then take the reigns and go for it.

The office culture is pretty busy, but friendly and casual. And because we’re a close group, the daily banter is pretty funny.

What really resonated with me though was the flexibility I was given during a several month long family emergency. I was able to cut way down on hours and still have my job held for me. During my time at Mirren, it was a very supportive and positive environment. And with lots of stresses in my personal life during the time, I so, so appreciate it.

Now, they continue to support and root for me as I pursue other passions.

Cons

The environment is not necessarily for everyone. Management expects you to believe in the product offering and actively contribute to make it even better. So it's not necessarily for someone just looking for a job. If you're looking for a career, this can be a very enriching place to work. This company can give you a wide variety of experiences, knowledge and opportunities.

Of course there is room for improvement. Protocols and responsibilities between team members could definitely be more clear, and long meetings could be less frequent.

9. "Clear Roles, Good Location/Office, Close Team"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Mirren Business Development part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at Mirren for 10 years this January, big anniversary!

I have valued my time at Mirren. I've been given accountability and ownership over my role, and truly feel the impact of my work with our clients, it's a good feeling. We have a wonderful team - respectful, helpful, and a sense of humor in the work place makes light work in my opinion. We jive well together, both new team members and those who have been around forever.

In reference to the couple of not so nice reviews, not everyone works out at every company. When you work for a smaller company, this is even more noticeable - particularly if you’re not too motivated or feel entitled. They were both young team members and I wish them the best as they continue their career journey. They’ve been gone for 2+ years now.

Cons

Because we're a small team accomplishing big things, you're truly accountable for your role and responsibilities. It's not the sort of place you can slide by without doing your share.

"I have been working at Mirren for a year on the training side of the business."

Pros

As one of the senior trainers, I thoroughly enjoy the culture, the people and the manner in which employees are recognized and rewarded. It is definitely a business where employees matter and there’s a strong push by management to ensure a solid work / life balance. Much of the team has been here more than 2 or 3 years, so everyone gets along well.

I would add that, as a trainer, the most gratifying part of my work is the impact we have on agencies and their management teams. We create new learning that has a lasting impact. And they appreciate it.

Cons

During peak periods like our large annual conference, the hours can be longer. However, we receive bonus days off after the event wraps up.