Mirren Business Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brent Hodgins

1. "Opportunity for Growth at Small Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee’s opinions are valued regardless of seniority level. Lots of growth potential in the company, they invest in personal growth and make it a priority to ensure their employees are being fulfilled. Employees of all seniority levels get exposure to senior management team and the opportunity to collaborate with senior decision makers. Priorities change rapidly; could be seen as a pro or a con, but it keeps me feeling productive and like I’m making an impact on a daily basis. Upper management listens when you wave your red flags indicating high stress levels.

Cons

It is encouraged that employees work longer hours to get through their workloads during busy periods. Other team members stress can overflow to the rest of the team, and between different departments. It’s tough to get things approved with the bottleneck of upper management.

Advice to Management

Staff appropriately to achieve the ambitious business goals that are set. Consider hiring more trainers to alleviate bottleneck.

2. "We help marketing services firms improve their new business performance"

Current Employee - Client Services Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Client Services Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am on the training team and the biggest plus in my work is helping people do better at their jobs; we show them ways to increase their new business win rate and finds ways to get more business from their existing clients. My work is rewarding and I see the positive impact I have on people’s lives. I receive the support necessary to be successful and I am acknowledged for the contribution I make to the company. The culture is forward-thinking with time set aside to celebrate our hard work.

Cons

Because we are growing very rapidly resources can get stretched thin. But this actually means more opportunity for people to grow here at Mirren. You can take on new challenges and learn new things.

Advice to Management

Continue to build the training team and focus on business development.

3. "Dedicated Team. Opportunity to Scale and Grow Business."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

I’ve been working at Mirren on the Conference Team for 3 1/2 years now. It has been a great place to continue to grow my career as I’m constantly learning and developing. There is a ton of opportunity for me as an individual and always feel that there is an open door to discuss any issues that come up. I believe I make a big contribution to the company which brings a ton of personal reward to the work I do.

I also really enjoy my coworkers - they are so dedicated and effective in their roles. I’m lucky to work with such a strong team!

Cons

As I do not work on our training strategy team, I am often dependent on them to develop content for my various projects. This can be challenging given their client travel schedule and can create a bottleneck at times.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of potential for more growth at Mirren. Continue to hire more senior trainers to help with bottleneck and scalability of the company.

5. "Room for Growth if You Show Initiative"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Mirren Business Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Mirren in the Member Services Department for nearly 4 years, as an Account Manager.

It’s a small company but there’s a ton of room for growth here. You really have the ability to write your own job description and run with it. Essentially, if you see a need - and have strong recommendations - then take the reigns and go for it.

The office culture is pretty busy, but friendly and casual. And because we’re a close group, the daily banter is pretty funny.

What really resonated with me though was the flexibility I was given during a several month long family emergency. I was able to cut way down on hours and still have my job held for me. During my time at Mirren, it was a very supportive and positive environment. And with lots of stresses in my personal life during the time, I so, so appreciate it.

Now, they continue to support and root for me as I pursue other passions.

Cons

The environment is not necessarily for everyone. Management expects you to believe in the product offering and actively contribute to make it even better. So it's not necessarily for someone just looking for a job. If you're looking for a career, this can be a very enriching place to work. This company can give you a wide variety of experiences, knowledge and opportunities.

Of course there is room for improvement. Protocols and responsibilities between team members could definitely be more clear, and long meetings could be less frequent.

6. "Clear Roles, Good Location/Office, Close Team"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Mirren Business Development part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at Mirren for 10 years this January, big anniversary!

I have valued my time at Mirren. I've been given accountability and ownership over my role, and truly feel the impact of my work with our clients, it's a good feeling. We have a wonderful team - respectful, helpful, and a sense of humor in the work place makes light work in my opinion. We jive well together, both new team members and those who have been around forever.

In reference to the couple of not so nice reviews, not everyone works out at every company. When you work for a smaller company, this is even more noticeable - particularly if you’re not too motivated or feel entitled. They were both young team members and I wish them the best as they continue their career journey. They’ve been gone for 2+ years now.

Cons

Because we're a small team accomplishing big things, you're truly accountable for your role and responsibilities. It's not the sort of place you can slide by without doing your share.

"Definitely worst job ever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Mirren Business Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, I enjoyed the team I managed, even as we all found ourselves traumatized by the CEO's inability to practice basic management skills.

Cons

I am generally a very low-key person who lives to serve, and mentor those that I manage. I probably err on the side of too much respect for authority. Even so, within three weeks, I was in my first ever on-the-job shouting match with the CEO.

Overall, there was a lack of strategic vision for the organization and trust that the team could deliver. Inability to understand the timelines and scope that could be managed by a three-person dev/design team. All while asking for extremely long hours and expressing vague dissatisfaction at anything that was delivered. "Dynamic workplace" doesn't begin to describe the inconsistency of project goals and the way in which they're communicated.

Advice to Management

Move your CEO to focusing on content development and away from managing strategic execution. The business model here is strong, but poor organizational management.

"Difficult Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Mirren Business Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Occasional company lunches and outings, casual dress, modern furniture and technology, good opportunity to wear many different hats as the company is quite small and understaffed.

Cons

Very difficult culture to navigate. Some great people working here, but management is abrasive and abusive. Tendency to place blame on others, throw employees under the bus, overreact to small challenges, and make every task extremely urgent in priority. Does not take feedback well, and only gives feedback when it's negative. Workload is intense and often serves no purpose as management wants final say in every decision. Don't expect much autonomy, flexibility, positive feedback, or camaraderie here. Environment shows signs of stress, and employee turnover is very high.

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback and act on it, rather than hide from your problems. You should be proud of your company and your name, not fearful for its image and defensive of its (free falling) reputation.

"Good Company - Great Strategic People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a consulting company that works within the advertising industry, we’re fast paced and creative. I’ve appreciated the opportunity to mold the role, the support to step up to take on projects, the flexibility to lead a team and be with family when issues come up. I strive to keep my team more balanced each year when working on the Conference - and think the current team works exceptionally well. I really do enjoy collaborating with this creative bunch of people!

And in terms of life balance, well we now start the day at 8am and wrap most days by 5:30pm - a nice change from New York hours! The company has also introduced a “Monday Morning Sync” where we all meet every Monday for breakfast in the neighborhood instead of going to the office. It’s a great way to connect with everyone and is a much appreciated way to ease into the week.

Cons

Not really a Con, but you have to be very self directed. If you’re on top of your projects and manage your status then you'll do great. Sure - every company have people that don’t work out. Let’s just move on.

Advice to Management

Keep on the current path of hiring good strategic people who can really implement business decisions. The growing team is really gelling.

"Glad I Found Mirren"

Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been full-time for about a year now.

I'm in the NY office, but I've visited the Seattle headquarters a few times, and it's sweet. We envisioned our perfect office while all in NY (couches, snacks, big windows, no constant NYC construction), so seeing everything come to life has been pretty cool.

I get along great with the whole team, they're all cool people - which is good because we all work pretty closely.

The work is interesting and challenging, expect to learn a lot.

Cons

Office is broken into various departments, each with a lead person - there's plenty of work on each desk, each day. HOWEVER, with some new team members, we're making sure everything is getting evenly dispersed, especially for those of us that enjoy happy hour (speaking for a friend).Let's keep expanding the team!

Advice to Management

Let's keep expanding the team!

"Excellent company with a great atmostphere"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Mirren Business Development (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a current and long term (going on 8 years) employee at Mirren I have a few things I'd like to share about working at Mirren.

First, the atmosphere is casual and relaxed. It was one of the first things that I noticed when I started and I found I wouldn’t have it any other way. No stuffy, corporate mumbo-jumbo here at all!

Each employee is given a specific and important role to perform at Mirren, and one feels a true ownership over their work, you aren’t just another cog in the wheel among a million, you’re one of few, and your accomplishments and contributions are real and significant - you have true sense of purpose and achievement each day.

The owner of the company is passionate about his business, and this is magnetic and contagious, each one of us at Mirren feels proud of what we’re working towards and enjoys the journey towards making it all that is can be, and we’ve done so much!

In addition, I’ve found the management at Mirren to be extremely sympathetic and flexible over the years. On the rare occasion when I did have an issue of any kind be it personal or otherwise, I’ve had a sympathetic ear in the management team who have taken pains to address my needs and help flex where possible. Case in point: After my maternity leave, I found I couldn’t leave my son to return to work full time. I had a heart to heart with the management team, and guess what: they totally “got it” and helped craft a schedule for me that worked for everybody - not something most companies would do.

All in all, I’ve enjoyed my long tenure at Mirren so far and look forward to my future with the company!

Cons

Directness is paramount at Mirren - if you have a need, it must be voiced clearly.