Mission Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mission Federal Credit Union CEO Debra Schwartz
Debra Schwartz

"Wonderful Company to be a part of!"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Mission Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As cliche as it sounds, where do I begin?! This is by far the best company I have worked for and I have worked for a total of 4 credit unions. If you're reading this review and trying to make a decision about pursuing employment with MFCU, here is what you should know: The company TRULY cares about the employees. There is a wellness program, generous 401K payouts, annual company meetings/employee recognition events, internal promotions happening regularly, contests/fun events to keep employees engaged, an excellent compensation package, I could go on and on... Just do your job, say what you say you will do and Mission Fed will do the same for you.

Cons

The ONE downside I can think of is that branch staff will pretty much work almost every Saturday BUT it's only four hours. The way I look at it is ... it forces me to get out of bed early on Saturday AND I have the remainder of my day to myself.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. As long as you keep consistent communication with front line staff and understand the challenges we face working in a retail setting.. all will be appreciated.

"Teller at MFCU"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mission Federal Credit Union part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'll be honest: they reward the top employees. But let's be real, they are rewarding nothing but those who sell people things they don't need. This credit union hides behind the "community bank" module but in reality most of their top corporate execs are past Wells Fargo sales managers and such. Go figure why they basically copied Wells Fargo in their teller evaluations and forcing them to sell a product to every customer. I worked at Chase for 3 years and came here thinking it was different but it wasn't, it was smaller and even more controlled.

Cons

Managers will stand behind you and watch you sell, if you don't sell enough or sell at all (WHICH SOMETIMES IS INNAPROPRIATE) you get scolded. This place is Wells Fargo with faker smiles and less educated management. Most managers have no college education, which is a little interesting that most tellers are educated than the majority of the entire CU. I guess you would just think the opposite. Honestly, this is an awful place to work. Managers think they know everything (yet don't have a BA OR BS) and walk around like they are financial bankers on Wall Street. Worst place ever, will use you and when they are done with you find some dumb reason to fire you.

Advice to Management

Set some standards for management. Maybe even just an associates? Promote higher education to get better educated managers.

"Do Not Work Here!!!!"

Former Employee - Telephone Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Telephone Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mission Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Paid holidays and good pmedical benefits

Cons

High turnover/Overworked/low paying/no internal growth opportunities/not enough training for new employees/they grow the membership but not the support staff/management is TERRIBLE!! Micro managers-outdated management style. They do not care about the employees and they treat everyone like they are disposable.

Advice to Management

I'd advise replacing current management with people with newer more positive, management style. Stop punishing good employees with write ups and constant negative feedback. Hire more reps so the members dont have to wait on hold so long and talk to reps that are overworked when they do get through. Treat your employees like the assets they are.

"Great working environment!"

Current Employee - Developer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Mission Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, for the rest of your life. Very low turn over in this company. They treat their employees with a great deal of respect and give great salary compensation. 401k matching is the best I have seen.

Cons

Not many cons to talk about, probably need more training opportunities. Need a faster track for management promotion.

Advice to Management

Create an opportunity for management grwoth

"Best company I could ever imagine working for!"

Former Employee - Teller II in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Teller II in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mission Federal Credit Union part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission Fed is amazing all around. Great to their customers and employees. Management is great, so are benefits and bonuses. A small company but it feels like a big family, you'll even get a chance to meet the CEO as she frequently stops by and involves herself in getting to know the branches. Room for growth, they care about you as a person and it makes their employees love their work!

Cons

Sometimes it seems like things are a little outdated on the technology/IT side of things, but everyone is so helpful it's never a big inconvenience.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Some of the best managers I've ever had.

"Okay, needs some improvement"

Former Employee - Universal Service Representative in El Cajon, CA
    Former Employee - Universal Service Representative in El Cajon, CA

I worked at Mission Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always busy, co workers become family, benefits, 401k, incentives paid when goals reached,

Cons

Not enough training, becoming a "bank," goals keep getting raised which makes it too stressful, upper management doesn't appreciate the branch people

Advice to Management

Train yourselves on procedures so you know how to help when needed, don't play favorites because you usually favor the laziest who knows how to act busy or the cheater

"Telephone Consultant II"

Current Employee - Telephone Consultant II in San Diego, CA

Pros

Good hours, work/life balance is great. Bonuses are decent.

Cons

Much of the company's responsibilities are left in the Contact Center's hands. You will be handling calls for all departments, without training for it, and sometimes without notice. Systems are old, and policies outdated, making for upset members. Plan on being tied to your chair for 8 hours, even being 10 seconds late from breaks and lunches will get a a bad schedule. No room for growth at this company.

Advice to Management

Look at other ways to motivate employees, rather than taking away, or demanding. Be more open to getting change. It's good to be on-board with upper management, but listening to the front line will only increase the production and member satisfaction.

"Great. Company to work for but not perfect."

Current Employee - IT Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in San Diego, CA

Pros

Great people and good compensation with excellent benefits. The management team is great and the employees and customers really seem to matter.

Cons

The processes are a bit dated and that can be frustrating for someone in IT, other than that the only other thing that would be a negative is their resistance to telecommuting and the traffic near the office.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you do, but recognize the value in updated technology and processes.

"A company that really treats it's employees and members like family!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in San Diego, CA

Pros

Incredible company culture! Company really cares about it's members and employees! The Senior Management team are all very approachable and there is a lot of room for advancement in all departments in the organization.The HR and training team have a great relationship which makes transitioning into this company a breeze!

Cons

I do not have any cons about this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I really appreciated how approachable and down-to-earth each and every one of you were.

"I think this a good, strong company to work for."

Current Employee - Telephone Consultant II in San Diego, CA

Pros

Very friendly staff, eager to help you be successful.

Cons

Some departments don't like to do their jobs, and thus it makes it difficult to accomplish yours, but supervisors are always trying to change this.

Advice to Management

Have a central place to make suggestions about other departments, so we can change member's experiences to 100% positive. Have more room for movement, such as classes to train for another position to move up.