Mississauga Piano Studios Reviews | Glassdoor

Mississauga Piano Studios Reviews

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Good Pay and Strong Advertising on our behalf"

Current Employee - Piano Instructor in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Mississauga Piano Studios part-time (More than a year)

Pros

MPS rigorously trains and promotes its teachers in a highly effective way. Due to the school's strong advertising, it helps us teachers receive many students.

The amazing training has helped me to become the teacher I am today. The pay is very fair. If not for their advertising and promotions of the first free lessons for kids, I would not be receiving any students, even with my strong RCME background. I am grateful for this position and the unending support of the director and staff. It is important to note their mandate is one of positivity, so they like to hire only the most positive, enthusiastic people.

Cons

I have no complaints. I see how hard the organization works, as it cares very much for both the staff and students. I have seen them go above and beyond dozens of times.

Advice to Management

Expand to more locations.

2. "Highly recommend - Great training provided to selected applicants"

Current Employee - Piano Instructor in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Mississauga Piano Studios part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As I am achieving my Bachelor of Music degree in one year, and with my ARCT in progress, I am honoured that MPS provided me with the intensive training and support needed to successfully teach for the past 3 years. My students have done extremely well in their RCM exams.

I was impressed with the application process - along with 1) an application video prior to training, we were then 2) invited to our first training/screening process. 3) At this point, only those selected will move on. After that, 4) an additional application video was required, 5) along with references. 6) The lesson observation program is initialized shortly after.

They are up front about pay - and it is very good. I'm pleased that I could select the number of students I wanted. The support is also unparalleled - if there is a problem with a parent, Student Care steps in right away to assist, and suggests creative ways to resolve. The team functions as a large family, with a core group of mentors who have been with MPS for almost 10 years. I notice that the mentor group gets together quite often to brainstorm and to continually increase teaching standards

Cons

Sometimes, there are many texts and emails!

Advice to Management

Continue with the report cards, YouTube event, concerts, and festivals.
    You may want to add more Toronto locations.

3. "Poor relative pay, takes advantage of inexperienced students"

I worked at Mississauga Piano Studios (Less than a year)

Pros

-assigned students quickly
    -good for getting experience
    -offers studio location if teacher requires it

Cons

-low employee hiring standards
    -frequently hires highschool students and takes advantage of those who are eager for a first job
    -poor pay relative to what the studio pays the teacher and what the student pays the studio (studio pays teacher 7.5, student pays 18.75 to studio, all per-half-hour basis)
    -dishonest about the difference when questioned

Advice to Management

-reduce the difference in pay between studio, student and teacher (teacher receiving 40% of what the student pays the studio while the studio receives 60% is unreasonable)
    -increase hiring standards

5. "Supportive, kind and friendly working environment"

Current Employee - Music Instructor in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Music Instructor in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Mississauga Piano Studios part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees may choose to attend intensive teacher training and refresher training every 6 to 8 weeks throughout the year. I like the fact that we work in a supportive, kind, and family oriented environment.
    They treat employees and the families at their school with respect. I feel like we're family. Management is involved as much or as little as we would like - it's our choice, and I like this.

Cons

Sometimes, there is too much communication via text and emails.

Advice to Management

Provide competitions for students. The concerts are great -keep it up!

6. "Flexible, and on your own terms. Friendly environment."

Former Employee - Piano Instructor/Teacher Level I in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Piano Instructor/Teacher Level I in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Mississauga Piano Studios part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of freedom in terms of how you structure the lesson and how you teach
    - Little upper management interaction
    - Most of the communication with the company is done through email or telephone
    - Work with kids (if you enjoy working with children, this is a pro!)

Cons

- Management staff is a little disorganized, will send too many emails
    - Sometimes management staff rushes you and needs you to do things under a tight timeline
    - No room for growth in the company

Advice to Management

Should consider more intensive training and helping the teachers bond with one another to create a better culture.

7. "Mississauga Piano Studios"

Current Employee - Music Instructor
    Current Employee - Music Instructor

I have been working at Mississauga Piano Studios part-time

Pros

The Director, Karyn Fong, is very sweet and warm and makes my experience at MPS a pleasant one. MPS also has a very unified and considerate team, as well as countless bright students.

Cons

There should be more studios due to growing company.

8. "Disorganized but pays well"

Former Employee - Piano Teacher in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Piano Teacher in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Mississauga Piano Studios part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job pays pretty well, especially if you take on more than four students. It is really simple to make the job fit your own personal schedule. Suitable for those looking for a seasonal job or first job.

Cons

It seems like they're constantly changing secretaries, resulting in some disorganization. Some the studio locations are also slightly sketchy.

Advice to Management

Should consider more training for new teachers.