Mitchell 1 Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 12 Aug 2019

3.1
Mitchell 1 CEO Dave Ellingen
Dave Ellingen

"The real honest Inside Sales review"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Poway, CA

I have been working at Mitchell 1 full-time

Pros

Solid company 100+ years and nice coworkers. The initial training was great done by Robert.

Cons

Where to start, this company is very behind for being a software tech company. The company seems very complacent as they are the market leader, while competitors are greatly improving and innovating. This is cold calling with a twist. It is cold calling to the definition that they are not warm leads. The twist is that the leads get called every 2 weeks like clockwork. As soon as you introduce yourself and mention... Mitchell 1, you will get hung up on. The lead pool is getting smaller as many of the shops have caller ID and block our calls so the dialer just skips over. Management does not allow you to prospect on your own to find quality leads. Sales targets are unrealistic. There are 3 maybe 4 veteran reps also doing outbound calls, they continuously hit target. This is by design as they are handed lists with warm leads or specialty campaigns. This Is proven as everyday you receive a summary of the previous days call log. The 3-4 reps that hit target only do 30-40 outbound calls none from the dialer and average 2-3 hours talk time. The rest of outbound take 200-300 dialer calls a day and only connect to 50-60% of them. Commission is a 3 month rolling average and helps if you are above target but hurts if you are below. There are also charge backs which can be from numerous reasons. After 2 months of successful payments the company should be held liable for keeping the customers and maintaining their satisfaction. Management seems to be in a fantasy world and do not have a realistic view. The company has not hit it’s sales target as a whole each quarter this year. Sales reps are jumping ship like crazy, went from a sales team of almost 50, now down to a team of 28. A lot has to do with a particular SD who is very condescending and defensive.

Advice to Management

Invest in getting new leads. Allow employees to give input anonymously on ways to help improve the sales process. Allow reps to prospect maybe 1 hour a day to find quality leads. The 3-4 veteran reps should be held to a higher target as they have better leads. Restructure commission so you earn based off monthly sales not rolling 3 month average. Increase the $16 base to be more competitive with the thriving San... Diego sales market.

Mitchell 12019-08-13

August 16, 2019Sr Recruiter

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Suggestions and input from our associates is our most valuable tool when prioritizing our goals. We are happy to hear that you have found your coworkers to be nice, and that you enjoyed your initial training with Robert. We agree that he is an asset and place a high importance on our initial training. I would like to touch on the feedback you provided regarding leads and campaigns. We currently do get the general automotive aftermarket lists, along with the truck aftermarket, from several sources. We also purchase new business lists that arrive daily and are cycled into the campaign. We will continue to place emphasis on exploring new lead sources, and new markets we can reach out to help with their repair solutions. As a note, regarding our specialized leads, we typically do at least 4 specialized campaigns with varying reps on each campaign. Our top performing reps typically have a large pipeline as they have been with the company for several years and have built up their customer base. We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with a member of our leadership team, I can assure you that we take all feedback seriously and view all dissatisfactions as areas for improvement. Our intention is to make Mitchell 1 the best place you have ever worked, and I would encourage you to speak to any member of the leadership team if you are having any issues. In regards to anonymous feedback, we do have an anonymous survey via SurveyMonkey which we use as a digital suggestion box. I appreciate your input regarding this, and I will work on making this more visible to our associates! Please feel free to submit your feedback there or to reach out to me directly at 888-724-6742 or dana.gulino@mitchell1.com to work on any of the issues you may be having. We are happy to work with you and welcome any suggestions you may have. Thank you for being part of our Mitchell 1 Inside Sales team, and for taking the time to provide your feedback. Thank you!

"Short Term Employment Solution "Cold Call TM""

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Poway, CA

I worked at Mitchell 1 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awsome Co-Workers a great group of people, all are very humble and awesome to be around.

Cons

The Calls are bad there's no way around them. I have seen "new leads" on a hand full of times. But the majority of the calls have been called at least 15-40 times sometimes more since 2016/2017. Next is the main reason why I left one of the sales developers has created such an unpleasant experience working at Mitchell that it's made every day I came into the office hating to wake up in the morning and go into work... to provide for my family. I've never had to work in an office environment where a manager is so defensive and will go to lengths to lie to make her self look better when she provided the wrong information. She would give, not only me but other reps attitude when asking for help. Example: while I was on a Demo trying to sell product she would say comments when I asked for help like "I'm busy "or "I don't have time to deal with that right now" in a very rude demeanor even when I ask very nicely and notice that she wasn't on a sales call or attending to another rep. and the treatment as if I was a child and talking down to me was the last straw that causes me to leave Mitchell1.

Advice to Management

Quit praising reps that get feed lead.

Mitchell 12019-07-12

July 29, 2019Sr Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience working on Mitchell 1’s Inside Sales team. We certainly agree that the team is made up of a group of great people, and we are happy that you feel the same way. We always say that our greatest asset is our people, and your feedback goes to show how true that is. In regards to the leads, we receive new business leads daily and add them to our automotive aftermarket campaigns. We currently use leads from several sources including outside companies, marketing campaigns, current customers, and partnership accounts. We also try and keep the leads and campaigns fresh by doing a minimum of 4 specialized campaigns each month, and we offer these specialized campaigns to different sales reps each month to keep the day to day job duties as fresh as possible. I can assure you that campaigns and call lists are always, and will continue to be, an area of focus for our leadership team. We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with a member of our leadership team, I can assure you that we take all feedback seriously and view all dissatisfactions as areas for improvement. Our intention is to make Mitchell 1 the best place you have ever worked. Thank you again for your insight and feedback, it allows us to continue to improve and make Mitchell 1 a better company for everyone. If you would like to discuss any specifics further, please feel free to reach out to me directly at 858-724-6742 or dana.gulino@mitchell1.com. Thank you!

3. "About average, but slightly chaotic"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Poway, CA

I have been working at Mitchell 1 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It IS possible to gain experience and move up. Nearly everyone there is at least cordial and professional.

Cons

Advancement is not easy and you have Snap-On (Mitchell1's majority shareholder) to contend with. There seems to be a lot more drama than typical for a company like this.

Advice to Management

Engage better on a human level with the people that make your company a good one. You ARE a support/customer service driven business and making the people that represent your company happier will benefit your customers and ultimately your business.

Mitchell 12019-07-04

"Call center"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Poway, CA

I worked at Mitchell 1 full-time for more than a year

Pros

coworkers are nice and friendly

Cons

commission structure is meant to cap you

Mitchell 12019-05-27

July 24, 2019Sr Recruiter

First, I would like to thank you for your work on our Inside Sales team at Mitchell 1. We certainly agree that our team are nice and friendly, and we are glad that you had the same experience. I would like to address the comments regarding the commission structure. My apologies if there were any miscommunications regarding the commissions. There is no cap on commissions for our team members. The commission percentage is based on a 3 month rolling average of quota attainment based on net sales, with percentages ranging from 5%-18% with absolutely no cap on the commission amount that can be earned. We are happy to reward performance continually based on sales performance. Thank you again for your work on our team and taking the time to provide your feedback!

5. "Decent Job"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Mitchell 1 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule and you can make some really good commission checks

Cons

1099 commission only, chargebacks, I had to chase down at least 20 shop owners per month to make sure they paid there bill. You have to fight against inside sales for customers and they tell customers and promise things that dont exist.

Mitchell 12019-05-24
  6. "outside sale"

I worked at Mitchell 1 full-time for more than a year

Pros

make own schedule and flexibility

Cons

not much corporate training have to figure everthing out yourself

Mitchell 12019-03-28
  7. "Pretty Cool Nothing Bad To Say"

Former Employee - Sales in Poway, CA

I worked at Mitchell 1 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Chill relax work. Also you can make good money if you can sell, they give you pretty much all the tools to succeed.

Cons

Kinda far, They are deep in poway which is about 45 mins from me

Advice to Management

nothing that popped out

Mitchell 12019-03-13

July 24, 2019Sr Recruiter

Thank you for your work in Mitchell 1 Inside Sales. We are happy to hear that you felt that you had the tools to succeed, and also that you were able to make good money. We strongly believe in rewarding performance, and hope that our commission structure and support works to show that. I understand the location can be a bit tough currently due to the distance from the freeways, but we will be relocating this year to a new building closer to the freeway which should make the commute easier! Thank you again for your work with us, and for taking the time to review.

8. "Mitchell1 Editor"

Current Employee - Editor in Poway, CA

I have been working at Mitchell 1 full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have Great team and supervisors.

Cons

Have not yet came across any cons.

Mitchell 12019-03-08

"Honest Review"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Poway, CA

I worked at Mitchell 1 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Well known brand backed by a huge Well known company in Snap-On tools, Plus the company has been in the business for over 100 years they are very knowledgable and dedicated to their product.

Cons

Training, Leads and CRM is trash, Not enough coaching for new employees, Too much time spent doing Prior to being able to actually get on the floor and close deals yourself which would be fine and expected if there was valuable info and things to gain during that time. Literally after the first day or 2 of doing lead gen and transferring there is nothing more of value to gain from that plus the commission on a... transfer is trash, all that extra time spent in that stage is only for 90% of sales individuals i would think only going to start discouraging and deflating their ambition at Mitchell because the leads are not updated ever literally calling leads from 8+ years every month and some of these people still have the same answer every month that they get recycled they even know that it is Mitchell1 calling them before they pick up they phone most of they time they pick it up as a joke or by accident n respond Oh Hey it Mitchell again laughingly to their fellow coworkers.. I know obviously you cannot remove leads over a few not interested dispositions but definitely would recommend seeking new places of business and buying new leads its a tough industry because there are not too many new auto mechanic places popping up and since they have been in business so long they pretty much have come across a majority i would assume in the U.S.

Advice to Management

Shorten the time spent on lead gen split the floor up into teams and promote team leads then floor leads etc so there is more motivation, and then there can be more help and coaching available for newer less experienced individuals. Robert and Kiran have too many people to over see to effectively coach new hires and train brand new training classes every month.

Mitchell 12019-01-28

March 4, 2019Sr Recruiter

Thank you for your candid feedback, we appreciate the time spent to share your views and suggestions with us. We are glad that the dedication to our product came through, as we take great pride in providing the best option available to our market. I appreciate your feedback regarding our training process. We have recently been making some changes to our training process to allow for higher retention of product information and sales skills in order to help elevate our reps faster. In regards to the leads, we receive new business leads daily and add them to our automotive aftermarket campaigns. We currently use leads from several sources including outside companies, marketing campaigns, current customers, and partnership accounts. We also try and keep the leads and campaigns fresh by doing a minimum of 4 specialized campaigns each month. I appreciate your feedback regarding the need for additional staff on our leadership team in order to increase the availability of coaching. We are happy to let you know that we have restructure the training process, and hired on a new Sales Developer. Thank you again for your feedback, and your work at Mitchell 1 Inside Sales. Please feel free to reach out to me directly with any additional feedback! Thank you! Dana Gulino Mitchell 1

"Since my last review."

Current Employee - Technical Editor in Poway, CA

I have been working at Mitchell 1 full-time for more than a year

Pros

No stress, friendly coworkers, very accommodating.

Cons

Since my last review, Six job offers and one promotion have been presented. FINALLY! Seems to be a once a year thing. The job offers were a 5% raise with no negotiation. Six permanent employees quit this year. Two of which were very senior employees (well payed). The work they did was redistributed to the remaining Senior Editors. (Two were of the three hired last year. ) My point is that you are only covering... for attrition. Why are the temps excluded from the free flu shots, the discounts to SeaWorld, the Christmas giveaways? Not cool for a 100yr old stable company. (SnapOn has not owned it for 100yrs so 80% of this is not theirs to take credit for) Don’t look here for long term employment. It is a great job to have while going to school or looking for something else.

Mitchell 12018-11-23