Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Mitchell Gold

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Caring work environment supported by upper management (in 4 reviews)

• Great clients, beautiful work environment, upholstery good quality, enjoyed co-workers and camaraderie (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • On more that one occasion, there has been discriminatory behavior by upper management specifically, against women (in 5 reviews)

• Oh and get used to a lot of whispering and private conversations on the sales floor amongst the management team (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Food Service in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Food Service in High Point, NC

I worked at Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

There weren't any cons in my opinion

Advice to Management

They do a great Job

"+ and -"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively organized company, well-paced overall strategy, fairly priced product, FANTASTIC team of people, growing presence in the US.

Cons

-Although they have an amazing few designing and merchandising there, the product is not a real player in the design world.
    -Several managers overseeing teams there 'grew up' working for MG+BW. They know no other way and have a very narrow-minded management style. I was working on a team with a newly promoted manager who is talented at some things, but was making some very serious new manager mistakes. HR doesn't care or review what these new managers are doing, neither does MG...
    -MG is a man-child with control issues and more baggage than I've every seen in another human. The philanthropy and progressiveness is more marketing story and ego stroking than anything else.

Advice to Management

-Put a proper review process in place and use professional development plans to help managers, especially new managers.
    -Keep BIG picture strategy in focus.

"More like Mitchell Gold & Bob's Discount Furniture"

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent medical benefits, some beautiful furniture, made in USA

Cons

1.) On Promotion/Sale all year. They have trained their customers to negotiate prices down or wait until the next sale which affects commissions for salespeople.
    2.) So focused on themselves that they have not kept up with technology, their competitors or the changing retail landscape. A new website that looks better but is impossible to use and doesn't even have basic information on the pages for furniture, out of date retail sales tactics, poor training/development and no transparent plan for the future of where the company is going.
    3.)Out of touch Corporate office. They are a manufacturer that opened retail stores so their focus is on telling the world how great the factory is (which is admittedly impressive). This leads to out of touch directives for storefronts and an attitude when given feedback they don't want to hear.
    4.) Little to no disciplinary action- toxic people do well with this company. Ex: The HR employee who leaked everyone's SS #'s/tax & personal information (they only offered us 2 years of credit monitoring services), a manager who has committed so many HR violations I'm surprised him and the company haven't been sued, deceptive salespeople...the list goes on.
    5.) Everyone is scared of one of the founders because he tends to lash out if you don't agree with him or don't tell him what he wants to hear. Everyone talks about it (I was told on my first day by multiple people including several levels of management) but no one calls him out.

Advice to Management

Go back to the company Mission Statement and be honest about what is working and what is not. Listen to salespeople who interact with your customers everyday . Work on the basics like on time delivery, quality furniture, employee development and engagement and accountability to all employees.

4. "Customer Care Representative"

I have been working at Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams full-time

Pros

always busy, work varies day to day

Cons

poor management and procedures, unclear job roles

5. "Operations Manager"

I have been working at Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams full-time

Pros

Great work environment, ecofriendly product offering, fair and competitive wage, fair work hours, upper management leads with reasonable time delivery expectations.

Cons

On more that one occasion, there has been discriminatory behavior by upper management specifically, against women. This is one place that NOT being a gay man can be a disadvantage.

Advice to Management

Do not show favoritism towards employees based on their gender. Instead look at skill level, position rank, and contributions to determine who should or should not be considered for events, job promotions, etc.

May 1, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review. Discriminatory behavior is not what we are about. I would encourage you to reach out to HR if you would like to discuss what has caused you to feel this way. Mitchell Gold... More

"Great Company!"

I have been working at Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think it is a Great Company to work for. They care about their employees. There is great opportunity for growth.

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say.

7. "Wonderful place to work if you have similar interests or family already there"

Former Employee - Cashier in Taylorsville, UT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Taylorsville, UT

I worked at Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mitchell and Bob both care about the health of employees

Cons

Serious turnover in their shipping department
    Lack of communication between employees and supervisors

Advice to Management

Ditch the temp agency you hire through and pick employees yourself.

May 1, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your feedback. Communication is definitely one of those areas where we always have to review and look for ways to improve, but we are committed to doing that.

"Environment Breakdown"

Pros

The large scale windows and natural lighting makes work pleasurable.

Cons

General manger complains heavily to store staff about directives from higher levels of management.

"Who They Really Are: Hypocrites+Liars"

Former Employee - Design Associate
    Former Employee - Design Associate

I worked at Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Their PR department, which paints a much different picture from reality.

Cons

What makes this company particularly disgusting is their ploy to market themselves as "employee-friendly."

While interviews with Mitchell continually tout anti-bullying programs, a caring and healthy work environment, as well as strong sales based on a "soft sell" team approach, bullying managers are being hired and promoted, associates are being threatened, and daily (sometimes hourly) recaps of sales $ and % tell a far different story.

HR and corporate are lying when they say "Our door is always open." You cannot safely discuss anything with management. And you certainly have nowhere to turn if you have an issue with your store's general manager (who is most likely encouraging your "teammates" to steal your clients in a sick never-ending numbers competition).

It's ironic and disturbing that MG+BW has the nerve to sell pillows emblazoned with the quote "We don't like mean people." Their "ethos" is simply a marketing trick. Don't be fooled!

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror. You reap what you sow...as evidenced by the extreme turnover rate of design associates. If you'd like to retain any talented and nice people, start practicing what you preach...or you will be left with only the dregs. By the way, the public isn't blind to the tension on the sales floor and the exodus of associates (not to mention your Yelp reviews).

Mar 17, 2017 – HR

It is truly disheartening to hear this and unfortunate that you felt you couldn't approach either your Manager, Senior Management and/or HR. That simply isn't the case. Our ethos is very real and we... More

"Doesn't live up to the hype"

Former Employee - Interior Designer
    Former Employee - Interior Designer

I worked at Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great clients, beautiful work environment, upholstery good quality, enjoyed co-workers and camaraderie. Well edited and curated fabrics. Frames tend not to be given a chance options limited.

Cons

As a designer you work really hard to sell beautiful rooms and products only to meet a barrage of quality and service issues. The retail operation is secondary to manufacturing/corporate which treats the issues of retail customers like wholesale clients, the attitude is if you want the product you better want it on our terms and when we can get it----laughable. And as repeat, referral and design clients flee... Mitchell and his henchman are demanding to know what happened to sales....guess what fellas your killing them with ineptitude on the corporate level and driving away good employees.

So many layers of management all trying to justify their existence regardless of the effect on storerooms. Marketing, advertising and promotion is horribly self serving and does nothing to bring new business. For example, advertising in Town and Country a) not really your client. B) wrong demographic and c) who buys/subscribes to magazines. When I worked there if you googled furniture/my city MGBW didn't even come up, yet they were paying to advertise on google, but ads would only pop up & follow if someone had already looked at the website...someone got sold a bill of goods. Doesn't add potential customers.

Advice to Management

Pointless. Tried to offer support, input and suggestions management above GM level totally unreflective or responsive. The company is totally ego driven and staffed with sycophants telling MG what he wants to hear. Their ERM system is a joke and does nothing to assist at the retail level.