Mitchell International Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

2.0
Mitchell International President and CEO Alex Sun
Alex Sun

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work-life balance is fantastic, because there are no looming deadlines employees can get quality work done instead of rushing out buggy code (in 15 reviews)

• Great people and culture, company invests in the employee's growth and development (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is completely disconnected from what happens under them (in 10 reviews)

• Management tends to blame product development for their strategic failures (in 5 reviews)

"Software Developer Engineer APD"

I worked at Mitchell International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good starting job
    Some talented people - really skilled and knowledgeable
    Interesting projects - yet outdated technology

Cons

Favoritism - will step into politics
    Projects don't run to completion - biting off more than one can chew
    No code ownership - most projects get moved offshore
    No user experience - limited best practices - creation of 'tiger teams' for temporary clean up or duct tape of code
    Micromanagement
    Job title does not include all the duties of what you will actually be doing - be aware of this.

Advice to Management

More training, better retention, don't put starting people on complex system where 10+ years of hands on experience is needed - they will suffer

"Manager, Solutions Consulting"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is continuing to grow.

Cons

Only a Select few get promoted. They same people get promoted every year. If you not on this list, no promotion. Constant re-org. Have to prove yourself over and over again.

Advice to Management

Keep the promises you make to employees.

"Second level billing analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mitchell International (More than a year)

Pros

You have some Flexibility with work hours

Cons

There was overtime every day of the week

"Mired in Politics"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mitchell International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Peers are for the most part engaging and want to accomplish good things

Cons

No support from Upper management - Have a "getting By" attitude

Advice to Management

Listen to employees who have been other places

"I would not recommend it."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mitchell International (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a good company to work for but not any more.

Cons

Used to be very nice company to work for but in the last 5 years management changed, they started laying off people that worked for a long time and replace them with younger people. And also out sourced a lot of the departments to India.

"No raise in 2 years"

Current Employee - MRA in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - MRA in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours. Smiles everywhere. Cafe! Free morning fruit. Casual wear on Fridays. Secure building. Great IT staff. Coffee bars all over the building.

Cons

Not LGBT friendly. MRA makes $18 an hour and they call it a cap! Thats not what i was told in my interview when I asked specifically about that. They frown if you are sick! You ask them if they need a note, the reply "no, not yet". Time cards are adjusted without consulting you first.

Advice to Management

Don't single out people! Don't have favorites and take them out to drink after hours when everyone talks about it the next day. Give raises where they are due and employees earn it. We're in 2016 whow cares if you don't like your employees lifestyle...oh wait you do.

"Ok at best"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mitchell International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance if you enjoy coming and going as you please.

Cons

There to start? CEO sends mixed messages.lost a big client and first stated it was nothing to worry about then later froze raises and started cutting costs dramatically. No accountability for employees. SR devs are only SR because of time in service, not skill set. HR employee leaked personal information and now we all had to file credit protection and irs / tax fraud alerts.

Advice to Management

Share something other than numbers during CEO/CTO staff meetings. Give some direction about where company is headed and how it's going to get there. Technology stack is subpar, should give teams a chance to rebuild rather than keep pushing shotty products. Also, vp's and above should not be giving developers technical direction; just state the problem and allow the architects and developers to solve the problems.

"Come, but don't stay too long - job not a career"

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Product Management in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Flexible hours. HQ in beautiful San Diego.

Cons

Weird niche market. No culture of innovation. Data services company behaving like a software firm.

Advice to Management

Sell off APD.

"Managers were awful"

Former Intern - Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mitchell International as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Loved the promotion of healthy lifestyles. There was a nice gym and company incentives for employees to work out (company sports tournaments, yoga classes, races) and emphasis on eating right (healthy food snacks around the company and newsletters with recipes)

- Co-workers were great, made a lot of friendships during employment.

- One of my co-workers gave me the Microsoft Excel bible, and I got really good at the program through projects.

- Worked here as a college student (part-time and summer intern) and had good exposure to corporate environment. Liked that the company was big enough that I could help out with different departments outside of my own, and was not stuck doing the same thing everyday

Cons

- Lack of training and managerial support.

- Managers/Upper level management made me feel worthless. Direct manager barely cared to train me and was always wrapped up in his own projects. I was often left with nothing to do, so I had to go around the company, offering my help to other managers and departments.

- Upper level manager in my department was extremely egotistical and rude - not to mention sexist! As mentioned above, I received very little training from my direct manager, and was ridiculed/scolded by upper manager for doing things incorrectly. The upper manager in my department always spoke in condescending tones, and talked to me as if I didn't understand anything.

- My position at Mitchell International was not taken seriously. A lot of my assigned projects died off because they were frivolous in nature, and managers would often forget what I was working on, unless I bothered to update them once in a while.

- Was paid very little in comparison to other interns in other departments.

- Seemed to be consensus between co-workers about dislike for upper management (at least in the department that I worked in)

Advice to Management

If you are going to hire ANYONE, even an intern, treat them with a little bit more respect. I felt like I was an outsider for 6 months, and was almost a burden to my managers. Going into the internship, I expected to learn a lot, and create some meaningful work - not be left in the corner to find my own projects to work on. In addition, upper managers need to get off their high horses and listen to their employees.

"The Mitchell way is an illusion for employees and a lie for customers"

I worked at Mitchell International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Newer facilities
    - Cafeteria and gym on site
    - Lots of tools for CRM, ERP and Expense Management

Cons

- Obsolete products especially on the Collision Repair side. The organization has been completely incompetent to release mobile, web based and platform centric applications. It got overpowered very quickly by the competition and has been extremely slow to react
    - Lack of vision and charisma from current management leading to employee low morale, disappointing product development and poor decision making process
    - Unfair and opinion biased performance review system which seems to reward incompetent and unaccountable people. High performers don't get promoted or rewarded properly on the other hand
    - Below market benefits (20% to 30% in some cases) especially with base salaries. Merit increases are random, very low for some and insanely high for others based on qualitative criteria
    - Good ol' boy network rewarding an elite few; this group is exempt of everything and spans across Management, IT, Product Management, Marketing and Sales to name a few. No matter how many misses, customers' complaints, large IT failures... they still come on top with a slap on the wrist and a huge bonus at the end of the year!!!
    - New equity firm KKR has pushed the organization to lower expenses to its maximum, decrease investments and constantly re-tool

Advice to Management

- Get rid of the ol' boy network and invest in a modern, fair and driven management team
    - Invest in your products, technology and people to deliver the best experience possible to your clients
    - Reward people on merit and achievements and not on opinions or perceptions. Let go of lazy, unaccountable, uncaring and lousy staff quickly but promote & grow high performers
    - Believe what your preach. The Mitchell Way is just complete BS and stop thinking people will continue drinking the cool aid