Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 18, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Katsunori Nagayasu

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a good work-life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Very nice work environment compared to competitors (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Some are related to deeper integration of Union Bank subsidiary into MUFG Americas, but many are simply cost-cutting (in 8 reviews)

• Lots of turnover in senior management (in 7 reviews)

1. "Director"

I have been working at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a good work-life balance.

Cons

There is a slow pace for change.

Advice to Management

Enhance top down communication.

2. "not bad"

I worked at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group full-time

Pros

typical culture of japanese bank

Cons

none to really speak of

Advice to Management

keep expanding and you will be fine

"Great company and culture in Tempe!"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President, Human Resources in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President, Human Resources in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is great in the new Tempe location. There is a brand new building opening in June with great amenities and there are many ways to get involved and meet new people through employee resource groups and different events. The location of the office is close to many places to eat, you can also eat outside all days of the year, and the weather is always beautiful!

Cons

Some of the systems are a little behind, but there is a lot of work going on to get everything improved in the very near future.

Advice to Management

Keep driving the company forward and hold managers more accountable for completing internal profile cards.

4. "Vice President, Human Resources"

Current Employee - Vice President, Employee Relations in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Vice President, Employee Relations in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It took me several years to find a Company that truly promotes respect and cares about employees but MUFG is that place.

Cons

Work is in progress to update systems and to promote our brand. We're a best kept secret in AZ.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to be fair and support work and life balance.

5. "Teller"

Current Employee - Teller in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Teller in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, great benefits

Cons

No growth, closed many branches

6. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly and approachable management team even at the highest levels.

Cons

A little behind in systems but working on it furiously

"Stuffy Environment"

Former Employee - Internal Audit Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Internal Audit Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees are friendly, the location is conveniently located next to a nearby train station and the weather in Phoenix is great for people that don't like the cold.

Cons

If you don't like to be micro managed, this is not the place for you. The office environment has very low morale and the people seem to work there and treat the place like a job. There is very high turnover as the amount of open positions are growing as people leave. If you need a temporary position until you can find something better then by all means apply.

Also,

There is also a lack of clear direction and vision for the bank. MUFG is a holdings company after all and not a real bank in the sense of a traditional bank. It appears as though the "bank" is looking to divest the Union Bank subsidiary and is posturing for what appears to be a sell off to another bank. Most likely there will be a merger or acquisition of some kind in the near future once this international bank can cross the U.S regulatory hurdles (Office of the Controller of the Currency and Federal Reserve Board).

Advice to Management

Management could improve the culture by removing silos across department. The Tempe location feels like Union Bank, MUFG, and several companies combined. There is a lack of vision and communication.

8. "Assistant Vice President"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President

I have been working at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group part-time

Pros

Growing bank with lots of opportunity.

Cons

I don't have any cons

"Low Morale"

Current Employee - Vice President in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Tempe, AZ

Pros

I have nothing positive to say.

Cons

The worst company I have ever worked for!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect.

"Internal Audit"

Current Employee - Internal Audit Senior Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Internal Audit Senior Associate in Tempe, AZ

Pros

The Tempe office has a new coffee machine.

Cons

I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy or a homeless person on the street desperate for a job!
    Training is non-existent. Internal Audit lacks a formal training program and expects you to come prepared and knowledgeable about the company and banking industry Day 1, even if you never worked in banking.
    Management is primarily located in the New York, San Francisco and Tokyo so you can expect to be reporting to someone from out of State. As a result, you spend half your day reporting on what you did the other half.
    Management does not support or promote employee interaction or teamwork. In fact there is very little teamwork or camaraderie in the office as most of the team members are working on different audits and report to different audit manager's out of State.
    Management shows favoritism to a group of three associate’s recruited in the Summer of 2017 from a nearby bank in Downtown Phoenix. All other Internal Audit employees are monitored for the minutes they take their lunch and breaks. There is one “Manager” who relocated to Tempe from San Francisco who I have to email before I take a lunch break and if I plan to leave my desk for more than 15 minutes.
    In terms of the actual audit work, expect to be shifted from audit to audit. There is a lack of direction from the top so the audit plan is constantly changing so as soon as your beginning to work on one project you will be pulled off to work on another project – GAURANTEED! That has been the experience of every single audit associate on the team that I have spoken to.
    The bank is a foreign owned bank out of Tokyo, Japan so expect reporting both domestic and internationally which can be very confusing as the processes are not standardized. As such, you’re primarily working new audits as the local Union Bank of California is now a major international bank operating in the U.S requires heightened regulatory scrutiny. Therefore, expect constant change as the regulators are closely monitoring this bank.

The banks audit software is consistently down and it makes it hard to upload the work you've completed.

If you have a disability of any kind expect that you will be targeted by management for termination as soon as they become aware. They label you and get rid of you.

I can go on and on but I think I will end the review here. If you decide to work in the Internal Audit department in Tempe - Good Luck!

Advice to Management

Create an environment that encourages collaboration and teamwork. Offer training commensurate with the responsibilities of the Internal Audit position. Don't allow managers in Tempe to harass employees simply because the manager has been with the company for a number of years. Don't allow your managers to harass and discriminate based on disability, race, gender, or any other protected class.