Mixpanel "smart people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Mixpanel Employee Reviews about "smart people"

Updated Aug 3, 2019

4.0
Mixpanel CEO Amir Movafaghi
Amir Movafaghi
Pros
Cons
  • "Some growing pains but nothing that is not worth working here(in 12 reviews)

• "Extreme focus on business competitors can be demoralizing, though it's clear why it's necessary right now in the overcrowded analytics space(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "smart people"

Return to all Reviews

"Exciting times ahead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mixpanel full-time for more than a year

Pros

New CEO and his leadership team are turning the company around as reflected in the upward trends of the reviews (which are not fake). Early signs of success are truly promising. Great salary and benefits Great culture & smart people.

Cons

The company is in a more competitive market now, which means there is more pressure to deliver and make an impact. Not necessarily a bad thing but can be stressful to some people.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the team to (re-)gain leadership position in the market.

Mixpanel2019-01-01

"the glory days are long gone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mixpanel full-time for more than a year

Pros

* working with smart people

Cons

* customer churn * the product is behind our competitors * attrition

Mixpanel2018-11-09

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Mixpanel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mixpanel has a rare combination of really smart people, incredible products and a great culture. The market opportunity for Mixpanel is massive as more and more people rely on analytics and data to make decisions in their respective roles. Mixpanel continues to innovate on its platform, making it easier to use, more open to integrating with other tools and providing more automated insights. I believe it has the potential to become a multi-billion dollar analytics behemoth. It is a rare opportunity to work with so many great people and help customers solve interesting problems.

Cons

As the company has shifted strategy and applied more rigor to the sales department, some sales reps have struggled to change with the company but this is nothing abnormal as software sales reps tend to only stay in roles for a couple of years.

Advice to Management

Continue building on the great momentum from 2017. I am very happy with the moves senior management is making.

Mixpanel2018-03-05

"Hands down, one of the best companies !!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Mixpanel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart people, great benefits, great leadership, strong product, support from c level executives. It's been a great experience for me

Cons

Constant change, honestly don't have many cons to say about Mixpanel, it's a great company for recent graduates to join

Mixpanel2018-02-10

"Amazing people, but growing slow"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mixpanel full-time for more than a year

Pros

If working with genuinely nice people is more important than "killing it", Mixpanel will be a great choice. * Co-workers are amazing. Feels like a family but doesn't exploit that relationship. Lots of really smart people who work hard and don't have ego * You feel appreciated * Plenty of opportunities for taking on responsibility * Compensated well * Work/life balance is excellent * No options handcuffs - keep your options without needing to exercise them after 2 years tenure (may be a con as senior employees leave)

Cons

* Company is just starting to get its footing with push into enterprise market. We're playing catch-up to our competitors and we'll be doing it for a while. * Engineers tend to go on to the next thing after about 3 years (but that also means there's opportunities for a new employee).

Advice to Management

Fight hard for revenue growth. Motivate employees with a solid plan to win, and the numbers to show that it's working.

Mixpanel2018-02-06

"I am SO happy"

I have been working at Mixpanel full-time for more than a year

Pros

I came to Mixpanel looking for work/life balance, career progression opportunities, strong leadership and the ability to always be learning. This company has totally exceeded my expectations in every way. The culture is amazing-everyone is so friendly, driven and just simply willing to put in the extra work to get the company to where it needs to be. I feel Suhail truly cares about the employees and wants to hear everyone's feedback in order to improve as much as possible. Not to mention, there are some CRAZY SMART people who work here. But you'd never guess that because the culture is so down to earth and incredibly humble. I love my team, love my manager and I am so grateful for all the skills Mixpanel has taught me in the year I've invested here.

Cons

Granted, Mixpanel is a startup, which comes with some growing pains. Our work process/flow is always changing as management tries to iron out wrinkles. I've had 4 different managers in the past 12 months but I must say, each one of them has taught me something new. If you aren't a flexible person, this probably isn't the company for you. Additionally, although there are tons of brilliant people working here, some department managers lack experience because they are younger. Finally, a closed mouth doesn't get fed- you really have to speak up if you want something. If you feel like you've earned a promotion, say something because odds are managers are so busy with other startup pains within the company that a promotion won't be the first thing on their mind.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing a great job- we've had a crazy amount of new hires in the past 9 months that are all excelling right off the ground. A piece of advice- be more transparent. If someone new is joining the team or if someone left, let us know right away so we can adjust quickly.

Mixpanel2018-01-22

"Always learning"

I have been working at Mixpanel full-time

Pros

A lot of my perspective is informed by my time working on the Support Engineering team. I've enjoyed the opportunities (and encouragement) I've received to take risks, grow, and lead interesting projects here. The initiative, drive, and goofiness I see in my coworkers is infectious, and I enjoy the job because I feel like I'm empowered to get things done with a high level of quality, I can regularly see that my work is amplified (slowly and steadily), and I feel listened to. The leadership on my team seems to understand pretty well that the work that we do requires a variety of perspectives and skills, and they put a big focus on bringing in smart people from diverse backgrounds, and helping them grow in their careers.

Cons

We're promoting people up and out into the rest of the company at a speedy pace, which is great to see, but the transitions can put a strain on long-term projects. We have a pretty comprehensive onboarding training program, but the complexity of the work means that it can take a couple months for new hires to really ramp-up.

Advice to Management

Replicate models that are successful on certain team across other parts of the organization. Get more women and people of color on the exec team.

Mixpanel2017-11-11

"Need a Hail Mary to save the company"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mixpanel full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had the pleasure of working with some very, very smart people. Pay was above market rate in most positions.

Cons

The company is on life support. All of sales quit and there are now more empty desks than filled. What's really scary is the engineers are starting to leave. Core problem is the founder, who still controls day to day operations and all of product. He is clueless as to what the market wants and ignores employee and customer feedback. He also can't make decisions so the company moves at a snail's pace. If you're looking to work at Mixpanel just search LinkedIn and ask any of us why we left, there are too many reasons to list.

Advice to Management

Get a professional CEO and experienced C-suite.

Mixpanel2017-09-14

"Solid foundation. Still work ahead"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mixpanel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people in the right places, great product, strong revenue and 10+ years runway in the bank, top-tier investors (andreessen horowitz, sequoia, levchin) that want to play the long game, and above all: customers love using Mixpanel. I run into a stranger wearing a Mixpanel t-shirt once a week in San Francisco.

Cons

Mixpanel does the hard things well (think: product, system stability, compensation), but sometimes messes up easy things (think: AV in conference rooms, holding on to a legacy business system).

Advice to Management

Keep the company communicating and integrated (getting big is hard) Write more on the internal blog about what's happening. Make it easier to work to ops.

Mixpanel2016-07-08

"Growing Too Fast"

I worked at Mixpanel full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, equity and perks. Very smart people. Hot space. Solid product. Well respected company within the industry (at least as of late).

Cons

Absolutely no marketing engine. Very political. Hyper-competitive market with several competitors (Localytics, Amplitude Analytics, Adobe Omniture, Google Analytics Premium, etc.). CEO is brilliant but an ego-maniac and control freak. Lots of employees are leaving/have left within the last 6-9 months (go on LinkedIn.com and conduct a search with 'Past Company' Mixpanel to see for yourself)

Advice to Management

Hire marketing ASAP and give them autonomy. Stop hiring so quickly. Hyper-growth is negatively affecting the company.

Mixpanel2015-12-07