Mizuho Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Mizuho Financial Group President and CEO Yasuhiro Sato
Yasuhiro Sato

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Competitive Investment Bank"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Mizuho Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent place to work. Overall employees are professional, focused, efficient, smart and respectful. Financial institution has clear goals to become a more prominent investment bank in leveraged lending and high yield lead tables. Bank has a long and established position in investment grade market and lead tables. Compensation packages for recently hired staff are on par with market.

Cons

Organization is going through a process of reorganization of its U.S. operations to merge various branches and legal entities into one single entity. Path towards promotion is not 100% clear. Large portion of the current employees have in part of the organization for 5, 10 or more years, which denotes stability, but also causes challenges when trying to push through cultural changes and increase awareness of evolving market practices and regulatory demands.

Advice to Management

Management needs to do a better job a delineating path towards title promotions. Organization would benefit from management overall encouraging staff to change and adapt to more recent trends in capital markets and ever more demanding regulatory environment. Accelerating the investment in centralized data systems would make business and operations much more efficient and effective.

Jan 22, 2018 – Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide comments. We encourage you to speak with your HR Business Partner or manager to discuss the issues you mention.

2. "IB Analyst"

Former Employee - IB Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IB Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Mizuho Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great salary and benefit, opportunities to learn

Cons

lack of work life balance and personal freedom

Advice to Management

allow analysts to take pto

3. "Developer"

I worked at Mizuho Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ETF trading desk was disbanded

Cons

Too many changes in short period of time

Advice to Management

Great company with lot of room for growth

4. "The best on the job training: great place for people who know little or very little."

Former Employee - Vice President Lending in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Lending in New York, NY

I worked at Mizuho Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once I overheard a guy in subway saying: "I am an intern at Mizuho, but they will hire me full time as a VP". Actually such things do happen. A guy spent 10 years in back office at GE, was hired as an associate and 3 years later he is an MD.

This is the great place for people who know little or very little.

Cons

People do get laid off, but I haven't seen anyone get fired for incompetence. We had a department head sent from Home Office, who was so incompetent even the Japanese expats called him "Peter" as per "Peter principle". Don't be fulled, there are some American "peters" as well.

My healthcare benefits were bare bone.

Advice to Management

I think the culture has changed since they began hiring the US management.

5. "Uncertainty arises post RBS acquisition"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Mizuho Financial Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collegial environment with relatively job security. Good growth opportunity post RBS acquisition as the mizuho group is expanding capabilities in the US.

Cons

Uncertainty arises post RBS acquisition. For example, lay off becomes normal on an annual basis. A decent amount of face time exists at certain department. Relatively conservative environment.

6. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

PTO is great! 30 days to start. No micromanagement of any sort and great environment. Nice coworkers. Good benefits and 401k is great

Cons

Nothing yet. Seems like a good company. Could do something more to strengthen the relationship of its employee among each other

7. "AVP, Credit"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Mizuho Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Used to be Good people but then they left. Decent Benefits with vacation, insurance

Cons

Management no where to be found. Old, outdated systems, everything down on spread sheets, not applications. Low pay

Advice to Management

Invest in people and new systems

Jan 22, 2018 – Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We are aware of the issues you cite, and hope that we can continue to make progress.

8. "An up and coming universal bank in the United States"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Mizuho Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The bank is consolidating it's US businesses under a single legal entity. Aside from being a US requirement for foreign banks, Mizuho is using this to coordinate sales and expand services, living up to it's motto "One Mizuho".

As an employee, it's nice to work for an organization that is clearly growing and poised to become a much larger player in the corporate and investment banking space. Mizuho is moving very aggressively, which is unusual for a Japanese bank.

With so much going on at the bank, I feel that there may be opportunities for promotions.

Cons

With Mizuho businesses being merged, it's hard to know what my colleagues are working on. I think a better understanding of areas outside my scope would be beneficial. I'd love to know more about what M&A or equities or fixed income lines of businesses are working on.

Advice to Management

By including areas like technology or operations in lunch and learn type meetings, you'd help build beneficial relationships across departments as well as broaden the scope of people who can provide solutions to complex business problems.

Many people in operations and tech have worked at other companies in the financial services industry and can bring their experiences to the table. Additionally, operations and technology work with lots of areas in the bank. Perhaps LOB of the bank has found and implemented a a solution to a problem that is still challenging another line of business. Areas that work across business lines are perfectly positioned to see these things.

Overall, management is doing a good job. Keep up your efforts in communicating.

Jan 22, 2018 – Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you are having a positive experience. We encourage you to reach out to you HR Business partner to learn about bank-wide L&L meetings.

9. "Work Environment"

I worked at Mizuho Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are competitive; work family balance is good. If you do wish to think, here is the place

Cons

Work environment is not very challenging. People are hired lacking the work experience to do their jobs. Technology is old and very inefficient. It's like going back to the dark ages. Bank is hiring lots of people, but very unqualified.

Don't come here if you wish to be challenged

Advice to Management

Hire people with experience beyond their resume and buzz words. Make people accountable for doing their jobs.

Jan 22, 2018 – Recruiting Specialist

Thank you - we appreciate your feedback. Good luck in your future endeavors.

"okay place to work"

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Mizuho Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours, nice office and benefit

Cons

the company is very controlled from Japanese HQ

Jan 22, 2018 – Recruiting Specialist

Thank you - we appreciate your feedback. Good luck in your future endeavors.