KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

MobilityWare

Engaged Employer

MobilityWare

Add a Review

MobilityWare Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Mar 1, 2018

Found 8 of over 85 reviews

4.3
MobilityWare Founder Dave Yonamine
Dave Yonamine
Pros
  • "Work/Life balance is extremely important to the executive team -- there is hardly ever 'crunch'(in 17 reviews)

• "Good culture, good work environment, pay is good for a gaming company, lots of perks(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains of a small company growing exponential(in 8 reviews)

• "Things aren't always on time, but that's what happens when the work culture is casual and laid-back(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Something Special and Unexpected

Mar 1, 2018 - Producer in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined MobilityWare approximately two years ago based on a recommendation from a previous coworker. I hesitantly applied as I knew very little about the company and was not experienced in mobile gaming, my expertise was in AAA console games and PC MMOs. I was nervous at first, but the employees around me were extremely welcoming and spent time getting to know me and help educate me on the differences with what I had been doing before and what I was doing now. As time went on my work ethic and ability was quickly recognized and in the course of the past two years I've been promoted twice. I've never had that at another company and it's been amazing to work with such talented and interesting people. The culture in the studio is great, there's lots of small groups that meet up after work for various reasons including D&D, an after work-shader club, and board game nights of various types. Employees just need to check the directory in Slack and join the channels that interest them. These activities are even more accessible as the company prefers employees are not crunching or putting in overtime, so you have a nice work/life balance. The company also offers a solid benefits package, and on-site benefits like free provided snacks, sodas, coffee, anniversary trips, and catered lunches on every friday!

Cons

It's hard to find real cons with the company. I've been places where we didn't get paid, worked crazy overtime, all sorts of issues and I don't see any of those here. There were some temporary growing pains as the company increased in size quite a bit over the past few years, but overall the vast majority of the hires have been fantastic people who find their groove and work hard. Management even goes out of their way to try and address concerns from employees during all hands meetings, taking questions on the spot and working to take action on concerns, even seemingly small things like requesting windows on our doors so we don't collide when rushing in and out, or using more ecologically friendly dishwares like recyclable coffee cups.

11 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Level Up!

Apr 19, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great set of people Fun and lively culture (lots of company activities if you wish to participate, bingo night, board game night, poker night, ping pong tournaments, etc...) New office - fully stocked snack bar, pool table, ping pong tables (2x), fancy automated barista machine Solid and stable cash flow Upward trajectory Expanding out portfolio into new titles and genres Awesome work/life balance Privately owned (self-funded) so no outside investors or wall street pressure to hit certain numbers Tremendous growth opportunities to ride a rocketship Oh annual company trip that includes a +1 (last year Hawaii this year Vegas)

Cons

Expanding super quickly that sometimes it's scary Sometimes get the feeling the company is too overly ambitious (what goes up quickly can also come down quickly) Main source of revenue is super concentrated in a few products (hence the move to expand the portfolio) Management strives to be transparent, however, as folks leave (which is not very many mind you), it's very secretive and rather abrupt Growing pains of a small company growing exponential A lot the company is new (something like half has been there less than a year) Slowly getting deeper and better game expertise A development process that is being matured which causes things to take a long time to develop and release Comp is okay for the industry (this is the trade-off for work/life balance) No employee equity or upside opportunity whatsoever There's a 401k company contribution but the vest is over several years and not immediate

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful

Director, Human Resources

Thank you so much for the input and insights. Growth is always a gamble, but we think we are well positioned and will remain prudent about what we can achieve. On the transparency front, we would love to share everything that happens and strive to do so wherever possible, including giving insight into our salary ranges and revenue totals. However, when it comes to team members moving on to other companies, we have to balance our former team member privacy needs and requests with our goal for freedom of information. We will continue to bust down the doors on any area where transparency is limited or diminished, but unfortunately there will be times where another need takes precedence.

3. 5.0

Great company, great opportunity

May 23, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

MobilityWare is a leader in mobile gaming. With the third most downloaded app on iOS ever, it's a great place to be. We have a great opportunity to expand and grow even more.

Cons

We are growing very quickly, which has it's own set of growing pains. It's really a small thing, because what it means is that we are growing, adding resources and have A LOT to do...which is way better than the alternative.

Director, Human Resources

Thank you so much for the feedback. We love to hear our team members see all the challenges that coming with growing as just that, a great challenge. Our leaders definitely care about our team members and spend a lot of time thinking about and acting on how to support our team members and help each of them achieve great success.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

More than meets the eye...

Feb 12, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance, comaderie, approachable people, diversity, huge potential for personal and company growth, rare stability and financial strength in a hit driven industry,

Cons

Growing pains means lots of meetings and ambiguity in roles/responsibilities but management is aware and actively working to resolve.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Casual Mobile Games

Sep 17, 2014 - Software Developer in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance that allows for spending your free time how you want it. The casual environment allows everyone to be themselves without the worry of being looked down upon. The many different company events are a great way to have fun and relax with your fellow coworkers.

Cons

The company is still working through some growing pains as we try and hire on more people to fill all the roles we are looking to fill.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Current Employee

Honest Review (honest being the keyword here)

May 17, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good benefits - Great culture (but is on the decline) with questionable values - Owners/CEO are great - Successful company - Very difficult to get fired (to the extent that HR brags about it, but they don't cut the fat - great for lazy people and not so great for the rest of us)

Cons

- HR: they interview people for the wrong position, lack communication skills/follow through, have extreme bias toward specific employees causing issues when attempting to resolve internal conflict, lie about policies - Management (or lack there of): insufficient skills to lead, train, and manage teams - Several growing pains, but little to no effort to resolve them

8 people found this review helpful

Director, Human Resources

We are so happy to see that the top leaders of the organization are valued and are making an impact across all facets of the organization. We understand that growing and evolving a company can be painful. In fact, this year we made an explicit decision to slow the growth we had originally planned so that we could all catch up, get our processes in order, and get things rolling smoothly again. That’s one of the luxuries we have here at MobilityWare - we CAN decide to slow down. Not every company has this luxury due to external pressures and interests. Being self-funded means we get to call the shots. We care deeply about our team members and want to see everyone succeed. We know that there will be times when a team member struggles at work; maybe it’s due to personal issues impacting their work, or possibly it’s due to the role not being a good fit. No matter what the reason, we will seek ways to support those team members and help get them on the right track or help them find a role that is better suited for them. We believe deeply in the power of peer to peer feedback and accountability. We are all in this together and if any of our team members see someone struggling, we encourage them to talk directly with that team member. These conversations can be difficult, so we also encourage team members to seek help from their manager or anyone in the company they respect for their skill in providing constructive feedback. We understand the criticality of great leaders and we also know we need to continue to develop and grow our leaders and help them become even better. We have offered leadership training for our people managers. Once a month a session is provided and the course is optional. We are so proud to say that we have had 100% participation of all people managers in the company (excluding those on PTO or at a business meeting). We are very proud that our people managers are thirsty to learn and develop their skills. We are definitely saddened by the cons listed here and would absolutely appreciate speaking with any team member regarding these issues. MobilityWare is dedicated to transparency, honesty, and confronting our issues. We invite you to be part of the dialogue and help us make these things right. Please know the doors are open for you to speak with any of our executives.

7. 5.0

Super!

Apr 8, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Great work/life balance -Super fun Friday lunches -Great location -Fun co-workers -Awesome new offices

Cons

-Difficult to book meetings with upper management, busy busy! -Some growing pains, but manageable

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great compay, great people.

Jan 20, 2017 - Software Engineering Manager in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance is a core value, not just a slogan. Profitable, stable company with awesome people making fun games for mobile.

Cons

Growing pains due to some rapid growth but that is smoothing out nicely.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews