Mocana Reviews | Glassdoor

Bill Diotte

1. "QA Support Engineer"

Current Employee - QA Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - QA Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mocana (Less than a year)

Pros

Mocana Corporation is a startup that provides security for IoT devices. Having always been interested in computer security and related areas, I felt there was instant chemistry when the company first contacted me for an interview.

IT security is becoming increasingly important as the IoT market grows. It's exciting to see that Mocana is moving forward with clear strategic plans. The prompt decisions in current development and next-generation products make Mocana very competitive. The benefits are excellent as well. Last but not least, the office is in a nice part of San Francisco. Not only is it just a block from the nearest BART station, there are countless places to get food within walking distance. I couldn't be happier to work here.

Cons

I don't have any complaints so far.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue being awesome.

2. "A place to grow and belong"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mocana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunches and snacks, flexible work hours, allowed to work from home as required, transit allowance, great communication and updates from management, cozy office, and friendly and helpful colleagues.

Cons

The benefits could be better, but beggars can't be choosers.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it feels like management is communicating with us too often, haha.

3. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mocana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great technology, great customers. Strong vision and leadership from the new management team. Differentiated IoT security software and deep cybersecurity expertise.

Cons

The company can't hire fast enough. Strong need for cryptography engineers to achieve vision.

"Terrible change in management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mocana (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, convenient location, free lunches

Cons

Its been more than 3 months the new CEO comes on board. I have not seen a company deteriorating as quickly as this. All new hires are from the unemployed pool of incompetents. I'm not sure how long the company will last. We lost customers and good employees. The bank balance is running low. The CFO is great at cutting little things. Maybe we might have to cut the free lunches soon. Enjoy while it last.

Advice to Management

Hire quality people, not quantity!

"Good people, bad management"

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mocana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, challenging work, flexible hours, exciting technology for the IoT tech boom, convenient location, paid gym, catered lunches twice weekly

Cons

Changes from the top have led to an exodus of senior employees and a complete shift of the mood and culture.

7. "Mocana is moving forward and fast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mocana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Recent upper-management changes has made for a positive change in the culture of the company. More driven, positive attitude and more of a sales environment. It's going to be exciting to see the results going forward. New CEO is a leader with proven results.

Cons

At present Mocana has a small team. But they are growing the company and hiring the right people for the job.

Advice to Management

New CEO understand security and how to position solutions with prospects. Let him grow the company and results will follow.

8. "It's a New Dawn at Mocana - wonderful, newly appointed CEO as of April 2016"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mocana full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Announcement was just made that the extremely talented and hard-working long-time Head of Sales and General Manager of IoT was appointed CEO. This is an excellent and overdue decision by the Board of Directors - bravo! Now the company can focus on its original mission - a device security platform for IoT. The mobile app security division has been spun-off into a separate company with a new name entirely. Mocana is 100% back to doing what it was originally known for - securing IoT. This new CEO knows the market better than anyone, and has a strong vision for how to successfully grow the company. Mocana now - finally - has tremendous potential to scale. He is a great leader who is both kind and fair to his employees, and one who truly appreciates everyone on his team. He is very smart and savvy and will make some great deals for the company (as he has already proven during his 7 years as the GM and head of Sales). With this newly appointed CEO, and with Mocana's original CTO (and founder) leading the way, the company's best days are ahead.

Cons

None whatsoever. The management team that is now in place is absolutely wonderful, the employees are wonderful and extremely smart and talented and the security platform which they provide is undeniably the best in the industry (Mocana was the first to secure devices for IoT - starting back in 2004 before anyone else was thinking about it). With this team in place, Mocana will excel at penetrating the market and scaling. No complaints whatsoever.

Advice to Management

My only advice is that the Board of Directors should have had this team in place 2 - 3 years ago.

9. "Great Promise - Poor Delivery"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Mocana (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing Engineering Talent and market opportunity

Cons

Challenging Sr Leadership Team, Funding strapped

"Lost their vision"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mocana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have some good engineering skills.

Cons

The engineering group is great but have no idea about marketing. The marketing team finds a new idea about what to do with the product every day.

At least with original founder as CEO they had a vision.

Advice to Management

Enjoy while the money lasts and save your high salaries?

"The writing is on the wall"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mocana (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot anymore - still some really good engineering talent in the company, but that talent is stifled by extremely poor executive leadership.

Cons

Company has gone through a third round of layoffs in two years - laying off ~20% of the workforce before Christmas - I think that says a lot about the management and board.