Model N Reviews in Redwood City, CA | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Zack Rinat
1 Rating

Pros
  • Collaborative culture with good work/life balance and core values (in 24 reviews)

• Work from home is a nice option that helps to maintain balance between professional and personal life (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The work environment for some departments is okay but overall it is not a company that has a good work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Limited career growth options in QA track (in 8 reviews)

"Mixed place to be, but strongly dependent on your manager."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

What I found is that who your manager is will influence so much to it. Some of the managers were pretty good and thus would make it a great experience for you. Others did not have a good manager, making it a horrible experience. I had a very good manager that I got along with and she cared for my growth and opportunities. But this was not always the case for others and thus made it a more challenging time for them.

Because my manager made it a good experience, I’m giving a 4 rating. Otherwise I would have given it a 3. Having said that, for others, the general advice is that you can’t join a company based on your manager because you don’t know when they’re going to leave. In my case it worked out as we worked together for a few years and made a good impact together.

In Product Development, we generally had a pretty good process and a way of working. It was a good balance between working in a modern SDLC and knowing we had to deliver products to the enterprise.

There are some pretty strong people that had a good background which help steer the business and engineering on the right track.

Cons

There needs to be more investment with people managers so they are truly people managers. There were many managers who did not seem ready to be managers.

Often times the business was promising functionality to customers by a certain date before we did a true vetting and ensuring we can meet it. This put unnecessary pressure on timelines and you know what happens there in software.

Product direction was also unclear. It often went back and forth on which direction we were going and where we were going to invest our next eng dollars in.

Also there was a lot of tech debt to deal with in our products. This made moving fast a bit challenging for engineering.

Advice to Management

I know the company needs to be tight on the budget and for the right reasons. But invest appropriately to ensure employees feel like they are taken care of.

Have formal training for managers, especially new managers so they can learn about the company values and put it into practice. In addition, so they can learn how to grow employees.

For the core values, list your company first on the list, instead of last on the list. I realize the rational that employees and the company should be over your self. However that does not sit well with most employees.

"Just Say No"

Former Contractor - Corporate Communications Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Contractor - Corporate Communications Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Company has a nice location near the water providing great views and enjoyable lunch/break strolls. Gym on property is fantastic.

Cons

The management is not on the same page. The work environment for some departments is okay but overall it is not a company that has a good work life balance.

"A Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

There are some highly talented individuals who care about their customers and the success of the company. The original products were good and well received in the marketplace.

Cons

The Captain of the Ship (CEO) was fired. There is lots of turn-over in management that leads to chaos. Policies and procedures change overnight without informing the worker bees. The product quality is terrible and is very buggy. The work environment is very stressful and we work long hours will little recognition.

Advice to Management

Create a long lasting vision for the company, minimize the number of product platforms, create a working Salesforce strategy, and establish a quality environment in which good people can succeed.

"Great company in 2014-2015, still growing"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was part of the Business Development Marketing Team. The team was comprised of world-class professionals from events to demand gen to product marketing to business development to programs. The bulk of the team I belonged to is no longer there. The team put on the best Rainmaker yearly conference in the history of the company, with the highest attendance from Model N customers worldwide. We also had a number of significant opportunities as a direct result of the show and I was able to meet some of the key decision-makers and influencers to retaining Model N. It was a really enjoyable time.

C level team and special Industry veterans (R/A) and some very smart new hires made it a pleasure to be at work.

Free buffet lunch on Fridays provided just enough reminder that the company cares about you. There were other perks also, depending on the role.

Cons

Limited markets for the products made it difficult for growth for the company. I've suggested expanding offerings into transportation, hospitality, retail, and supply chain markets. It's a bold idea but wasn't feasible then, perhaps will be. Just a Business Development Manager sourcing $3.5M opportunities.

Limited employee engagement and development programs.

Locations of the company appeared disjointed and not unified; locations did their own thing however with the approval of top management.

At times, depending on your group you could never tell if you had job security.

AC was cold enough to require a coat.

Advice to Management

Provide a more democratic and meritocratic environment with reward based on accomplishments of the person in that particular role; expand into new markets, recognize everyone in the organization from ground level and up.

"Smart people, good products"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Model N full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Model N has some of the smartest people in town working for them. You are absolutely judged by your coworkers for your contributions. The people here are willing to share ideas and you are encouraged to try new things. I have learned a ton since working here

Cons

We are a software company with a substantial technical debt. The good news is that we are a leader in the revenue management space, the bad news is 80% of our revenue comes from a legacy product.

Advice to Management

We need to establish and share a clear vision of our direction and next steps. Our employees need to better understand where were are going and how we plan to get there.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Model N full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch on Friday
    Good benefits
    Good work environment - hard work but also try to keep it fun

Cons

Work life balance seems to go away as you move up in the company - seems typical to most companies though.

Advice to Management

Management needs to interact more with new hires/non management employees. Everyone is busy but take some time to go to social events and get to know the people who work for you.

8. "Software Category Leader, Collaborative Culture, Steady Growth Company"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Model N full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Collaborative culture with good work/life balance and core values
    - Career growth opportunities to step up into leadership roles, after less than 1 year ... "those who stay will be champions" - Bo Schembechler
    - New CEO (Ed Sander) is industry and category veteran, and Founder/Executive Chairman (Zack Rinat) continues to lead company forward

Cons

- Some VP/director-level leadership changes, which are growing pains for a 10%+ YoY growth company have led to short-term ambiguity (read: opportunity) for some roles
    - Company is best suited for entrepreneurial-type, hungry candidates ... be advised

Advice to Management

- Stay focused on customer success and employee success, as the Company has done for 16+ years

"Principal QA engineer"

Current Employee - Principal Quality Assurance Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Quality Assurance Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Model N full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good work culture.. Flexible with work hours

Cons

not much growth Opportunity. Old technology

Advice to Management

Managment is good

10. "can be a good place to start"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Model N likes people who dive in and get hands dirty. If you want real experience this can be it. New Salesforce.com products and agreements.

Cons

Executive turnover. 3 CFOs in 4 years. No VP of HR. Things are changing fast so it is hard to know what is going on.

Advice to Management

Raise the tech and biz exp of people in the field. This will make customer satisfaction go up. Projects will go better.

"Tremendous Upside"

Former Contractor - Consultant in Redwood City, CA
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Coach & empower business culture. C-Level very approachable & responsive. Friday lunch is free with a variety of options. Daily upscale snacks.

Cons

Minor, road into & out of HQ is like a roller coaster ride. Would be helpful to all to improve road for a smoother daily commute.

Advice to Management

Stay employee centric & listen to the Model N team to stay engaged. Continue the Friday employee dial-in meetings.