Model N Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All Cities Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Zack Rinat

Pros
  • Collaborative culture with good work/life balance and core values (in 24 reviews)

• Work from home is a nice option that helps to maintain balance between professional and personal life (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The work environment for some departments is okay but overall it is not a company that has a good work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Limited career growth options in QA track (in 8 reviews)

1. "Review"

I worked at Model N full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits package reasonable premiums

Cons

Poor management no internal communication

2. "My Thoughts"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Model N full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company, with a successful vision.

Cons

Not much chance for advancement, and limited training opportunities.

"Director/ Sr Director/ VP"

I have been working at Model N full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pays well, match the industry standard; tells a good story

Cons

No Vision; No growth; Unrealistic expectations of business growth; Folks don't share; Very difficult for new people to fit in, old timers are full of themselves; sense of entitlement; overall bad culture.....Its a personal situation company

Advice to Management

Fix the culture and entitlement behavior of old timers; they will take you down

"Mixed place to be, but strongly dependent on your manager."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

What I found is that who your manager is will influence so much to it. Some of the managers were pretty good and thus would make it a great experience for you. Others did not have a good manager, making it a horrible experience. I had a very good manager that I got along with and she cared for my growth and opportunities. But this was not always the case for others and thus made it a more challenging time for them.

Because my manager made it a good experience, I’m giving a 4 rating. Otherwise I would have given it a 3. Having said that, for others, the general advice is that you can’t join a company based on your manager because you don’t know when they’re going to leave. In my case it worked out as we worked together for a few years and made a good impact together.

In Product Development, we generally had a pretty good process and a way of working. It was a good balance between working in a modern SDLC and knowing we had to deliver products to the enterprise.

There are some pretty strong people that had a good background which help steer the business and engineering on the right track.

Cons

There needs to be more investment with people managers so they are truly people managers. There were many managers who did not seem ready to be managers.

Often times the business was promising functionality to customers by a certain date before we did a true vetting and ensuring we can meet it. This put unnecessary pressure on timelines and you know what happens there in software.

Product direction was also unclear. It often went back and forth on which direction we were going and where we were going to invest our next eng dollars in.

Also there was a lot of tech debt to deal with in our products. This made moving fast a bit challenging for engineering.

Advice to Management

I know the company needs to be tight on the budget and for the right reasons. But invest appropriately to ensure employees feel like they are taken care of.

Have formal training for managers, especially new managers so they can learn about the company values and put it into practice. In addition, so they can learn how to grow employees.

For the core values, list your company first on the list, instead of last on the list. I realize the rational that employees and the company should be over your self. However that does not sit well with most employees.

6. "I enjoyed my time"

I worked at Model N full-time

Pros

I worked for Model N for a year following acquisition of the company I worked for. The work was challenging and the growth potential limited only by individual desire. The high tech management team was engaged, focused, competent and supportive of employees

Cons

Lots of work, big workloads but not more so than similar environments I have been in

Advice to Management

Work to understand root causes of attrition and stabilize it

7. "OK"

I worked at Model N full-time

Pros

Targeted market, global presence, a number of smart people working there. Transforming to cloud solutions is promising so hopefully that works out well. Company was able to go IPO, though stock hasn't performed.

Cons

Trying to modernize old school apps proves to be challenging without total re-writes. A number of good people have left, particularly after the IPO.

"A Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

There are some highly talented individuals who care about their customers and the success of the company. The original products were good and well received in the marketplace.

Cons

The Captain of the Ship (CEO) was fired. There is lots of turn-over in management that leads to chaos. Policies and procedures change overnight without informing the worker bees. The product quality is terrible and is very buggy. The work environment is very stressful and we work long hours will little recognition.

Advice to Management

Create a long lasting vision for the company, minimize the number of product platforms, create a working Salesforce strategy, and establish a quality environment in which good people can succeed.

9. "Great trajectory or dead-end, depending on the vertical and function"

I worked at Model N full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Autonomy, open work from home policy
    -Some extremely smart and motivated individuals

Cons

-Constantly changing leadership
    -Technical Debt
    -Compensation not on par with Silicon Valley if you're skills are transferable elsewhere

Advice to Management

Foster career and skills growth for your employees, and take risks on them.

10. "Model N is a great company to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Model N full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Model N compensation is on par with the industry standard
    2. There is a flexibility in the work hours, so it will be helpful if we have some personal commitments.
    3. Benefits are great.

Cons

The job requires more travel, since the product has to be implemented at the client place.

Advice to Management

You have a very good leadership quality. It would be great if we get more customers

11. "Amazing company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Model N full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Model N truly, honestly cares about their employees. They listen, they treat me like a human, not a number.

Cons

Nothing to complain about! I have worked there for a year and am truly satisfied. I have not had a raise since I have started, that would be nice :)