Model N "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Model N Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated May 13, 2019

4.0
Model N CEO Jason Blessing
Jason Blessing
Pros
Cons
  • "The work environment for some departments is okay but overall it is not a company that has a good work life balance(in 15 reviews)

• "Limited career growth options in QA track(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Energy and Buzz...."

Current Employee - Product in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Model N full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sense of energy and momentum that has increased substantially in the year that I've been on the team. New leadership, increased focus on our strategy and commitment to working smarter and more efficiently than in previous days. The sense of optimism and demonstration that positive changes are being made are really great to see. People are awesome, kind and collaborative. Flexible work environment - lots of... respect for people to work out schedules that allow for balance.

Cons

Still work to do to work through legacy processes that can hold us back from getting to the right decisions but that's changing.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

Model N2019-04-18

"Great company where employees are valued and appreciated"

Current Employee - Product Marketing in Denver, CO

I have been working at Model N full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Executive team stability and focus - Realistic strategies and product expectations - Positive work environment

Cons

- Mid-level and senior management leadership training aligning with executive team.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on employee success and communications as well as improving how senior and mid-tier management leads and works with teams.

Model N2019-05-13

"Model N; N for NO DIRECTION"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work environment, unlimited PTO, good group of people trying to make things works.

Cons

Product and Company Culture Poor approach when it comes to customer management. Extremely reactive; Model N's mantra is we will wait for customer complaints, and if they complain too much Model N will award them a BS award at their annual 'Rainmaker' to pacify. Customers are not first, but neither are employees, baffles me to this day what exactly are they doing at Mode N. Go to Market strategy: the way Model... N brings products to market is deceitful, it’s a half-baked product at best and the approach again is we will make the customer pay for features that should be standard as custom enhancements. Sales and Solutions team does an extremely good job of misleading customers. “Enterprise grade” products that cannot handle enterprise level data! Most projects get stuck at this stage of implementation. Model N, has no real competition in the market, buying out their main competitor should allow them to increase margin and revenue, yet they have failed to do so. They continue to have layoffs which never make the news because the layoffs conveniently are below the threshold that the SEC requires to be made public. Layoffs have been going on for quite some time, another telltale sign of what is happening behind the scenes. Leadership (Lack of) As far as management, most managers are glorified baby sitters at best, every two weeks you have 1:1 call which goes nowhere, in my 5+ years at Model N I never felt like this helped in fact it was an annoyance and took time away from doing more productive things during the day. They are not empowered to do much, they require permission to make any decision of any significance. The VP’s seem to be an old boys club and the new CEO seems like he’s part of the same crew. Female Leadership: The current VP of Marketing and other two women were back to back VP’s of HR one was fired and the other quit, so HR has no leadership at the helm although even if anyone was in that role it would a waste. Career Career advancement is a great joke, annual pay raises are about 1% if you are lucky, 401k match is sub-par, bonuses are ok and RSU are a nice carrot if the stock price ever went above $20 and stayed at that price. All the while the internal propaganda is that Model N is on par with the rest of the Silicon Valley companies. There is no career path, and your annual reviews are a complete waste of time. Managers will use your annual review to tell you well you didn’t meet all your goals and we don’t have any advancements for this year again! Wait, it gets better! Training, well there isn’t any training. Any internal demos conducted by product management is recorded via WebEx. This recorded WebEx is now part of training and now you have been trained on a product that is no bearing on your day to day activities or your role. Complete lack and care of individual growth. How can we cut corners is Model N’s mantra! An absolute disappointment of my career, even while I was at Model N I generally steered my friends and colleagues away from this company. The future doesn't bode well but am hopeful for the hard working people.

Advice to Management

You didn't heed to anything I had to say while I was an employee, absolutely sure you won't do anything now that I'm not an employee.

Model N2018-08-26

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Model N full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch on Friday Good benefits Good work environment - hard work but also try to keep it fun

Cons

Work life balance seems to go away as you move up in the company - seems typical to most companies though.

Advice to Management

Management needs to interact more with new hires/non management employees. Everyone is busy but take some time to go to social events and get to know the people who work for you.

Model N2016-03-22

"PS Contractor"

Operations Analyst in Lowell, MA

I worked at Model N for less than a year

Pros

Nice working environment. Free lunch on Friday and free daily snacks and soda

Cons

Have no idea what is going on in the organization

Model N2015-09-30
  6. "Generally good, satisfied with almost everything"

Current Employee - Consultant in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Model N full-time for less than a year

Pros

Conducive work environment, challenging but interesting projects

Cons

Disconnected among world-wide offices, need more interactions

Model N2012-08-30
  7. "Occasionally chaotic start up experience"

Consultant in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N

Pros

Good opportunities for growth, provided you are part of the right projects. Colleagues are smart and friendly, and willing to help out. Casual working environment, flexible with telecommuting, etc. Management is remarkably candid and open about discussing company matters.

Cons

Horrible documentation of product makes it hard to really feel confident that you know what you're doing. A cavalier company attitude of trial by fire, which can be traumatic to those not used to that kind of environment. Company's focus is on expanding product functionality instead of quality, which leads to a horribly buggy product. Some client implementations became a tight rope walk of keeping the current... system stable while implementing new features. People are rewarded for their work depending on how high visibility the project was. Those put on smaller clients had a tougher time with career advancement. Working in consulting gives no long term stability, which impacts work life balance.

Advice to Management

Put some more emphasis on product quality. Pay more attention to giving mentoring opportunities, and invest in people development.

Model N2008-11-22
  8. "Good"

Current Employee - AMTS in Hyderābād

I have been working at Model N full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work and nice work environment

Cons

Nothing. But using old technologies.

Advice to Management

nothing

Model N2017-09-07
  9. "Decent company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād

I worked at Model N full-time

Pros

Good and flexible Working Environment. Supporting team. Pay as per market standards

Cons

Product built on legacy technologies but new initiatives to adopt new technologies.

Model N2017-07-06
  10. "Great Place to Work | Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - SMTS-1 in Hyderābād

I have been working at Model N full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Approachable Management/Employees Great work environment. Place where you can work with smart/hard workers. Your efforts will be rewarded Lot of cultural and sports events. Restricted stock units Health Ben-fits Transport and other facilities.

Cons

Technology stack is old ( just started moving to new Technologies)

Advice to Management

Am happy, keep going :)

Model N2016-11-17