Modern Woodmen Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
W. Kenny Massey

Pros
Cons
  • Home office support shuts down at 4:30pm (in 5 reviews)

• I don't have anything negative to say (in 3 reviews)

"Run fast!!!"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was great! They made it seem like it the best place to work for.

Cons

Getting your own leads. No training from management. When you bring in a policy watch out, the managers will try to rob you!!!

Advice to Management

Don't hire shady managers & if you advertise to do something, do it. Don't waste anyone's time, it makes you look weak!

"Financial Advisor"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people with whom I worked. The company's incentives are decent -- high commissions, vacations for top sellers, bonuses for the sale of certain products, etc.

Cons

Just about everything. The company's products are inferior, and the selling method couldn't feel less organic. Essentially, be ready to sell products to your own social network with ZERO help from the company. Oh, and the position is commission ONLY. Don't sell? Don't eat.

Advice to Management

Let new hires know exactly what they're in for... I was misled throughout the recruitment and training process, and couldn't have been less happy during my entire time with the firm. I regret ever accepting my offer.

3. "You sure you want to work here?"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Addison, TX

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty good benefit package and had no complaints with anyone who I worked with.

Cons

They tell you it is a financial rep/advisor job.. it's insurance. And if you want to get any liscense to be able to sell securities, it's coming out of your pocket. Just like rent for your office and anything you might need to run your business. Commission only so anyway to put any money into the that 401k is to sell. And by sell, I mean sell to your family and friends cuz "who knows you and trusts you more than your friends and family" *spoiler alert* they have insurance through their company and if you aren't securities licensed than you're basically stuck

Advice to Management

Update you company practices.... Monday night call sessions went out in the 90's.

5. "management needs some work."

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Rock Island, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Rock Island, IL

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company if your not in IT

Cons

Trying to move too much too fast. Take and use bad advise from consultants.
    Best qualified applicants don't get promoted.
    Consultants and third party vendors run Modern Woodmen.
    I could go on...

Advice to Management

Slow down and start listening to the professional technical people you've hired instead of the money grubbing consultants.

"No Idea What They're Doing"

Pros

-You were able to create your own schedule and they were very flexible with accomodating different training sessions.

Cons

-The fact they represent themselves as financial advisors is scary. They have no knowledge other than how to talk people up and make them feel like they know what they are talking about.
    -They give no base pay to start out and the training they provide is inadequate.
    -Their business model is to bring in as many people as possible, have them call all their friends and family, and whoever survives they enjoy the roll down from their comissions and who doesn't is not their problem.

Advice to Management

Stop tricking innocent people into believing you know what you're talking about. Gain some type of knowledge of what your selling and stop trying to throw the product with the biggest commission at every client no matter their present situation.

"Good job to learn the business but hard"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training and support. The office where I was at has nothing to do with how the company as a whole is ran. I actually went to home office had a personal lunch with Kenny Massey, and he and the other home office staff were all great people.

Cons

You need to have a lot of money to back you, so when you have to spend it on advertising and tons of other expenses. Although I was a top producing Agent and in our monthly magazine, it was still a hard financial burden topped with a lie of family life balance.

Advice to Management

Learn to help your new agents more, stop worrying about the people who kiss your ass to get on you good side, as they talk down about producing agents and try to back-stab them. I left due to this, and I busted my ass putting my family on the side and worked 80hr weeks and worked Saturday and Sunday. All the time. Good place to gain, but not to thrive from.

"Good learning experience"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid conservative well funnded company

Cons

Half the normal commissions with very poor lead assistance.

Advice to Management

Unless you supply good very fresh leads, you should pay higher commissions or at least a base salary.

"Endless opportunities but make no money"

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Long history...fraternal benefits...cares about the elderly

Cons

Straight commission, never any fresh leads, cold calling, lack of leadership from managing partner and regional director. Upper management uses and abuses "young" talent.

Advice to Management

Update the company structure and get some marketing. No one knows who Modern Woodmen is.

"Good Career Opportunity, Not for Everyone"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Control your own schedule, health insurance and pension plan provided, 401-k available with match, Fraternal Business Model allows you to give to the community, work with people of great integrity.

Cons

Home office employees lack understanding of what field force challenges are, Management favoritism/legacy building is rampant, Focus is on increasing # of managers rather than supporting existing reps and current managers, Product offering is limited.

Advice to Management

Listen to recordings of agents calling the home office...you might be shocked how disrespectful some HO staff is and the inaccurate information given. Cut the number of Regional Directors in half, half of them aren't producing anyway, use the savings to increase agent and managing partner compensation/support. Managing Partners are the ones who recruit new reps, make that a more attractive position and provide more support to them.

"Lack of Training/Management/Supervision"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best benefits in the industry when it comes to 401k, pension plan, health, dental, vision insurance
    Fraternal system can lead your way into sales with daycares and schools.

Cons

After you are hired it is all about the next hire for your Region. Management is trying to get the new agents up and running so existing agents are literally on their own after a month or two. Compensation is 100% commission so with a small company that isn't well known it is very challenging to get in the door. No leads or "book of business" are handed to new agents so you are starting from the ground up from your contract date. Turnover is extremely high due to new agents not being able to make it financially within the first 3-6 months.

Advice to Management

Possibly reform the compensation package to attract new agents like signing bonus, salary, etc.