Modern Woodmen Reviews | Glassdoor

Modern Woodmen Reviews

Updated April 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Home office support shuts down at 4:30pm (in 5 reviews)

• I don't have anything negative to say (in 3 reviews)

"Lack of Training/Management/Supervision"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best benefits in the industry when it comes to 401k, pension plan, health, dental, vision insurance
    Fraternal system can lead your way into sales with daycares and schools.

Cons

After you are hired it is all about the next hire for your Region. Management is trying to get the new agents up and running so existing agents are literally on their own after a month or two. Compensation is 100% commission so with a small company that isn't well known it is very challenging to get in the door. No leads or "book of business" are handed to new agents so you are starting from the ground up from your contract date. Turnover is extremely high due to new agents not being able to make it financially within the first 3-6 months.

Advice to Management

Possibly reform the compensation package to attract new agents like signing bonus, salary, etc.

"Good Career Opportunity, Not for Everyone"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Control your own schedule, health insurance and pension plan provided, 401-k available with match, Fraternal Business Model allows you to give to the community, work with people of great integrity.

Cons

Home office employees lack understanding of what field force challenges are, Management favoritism/legacy building is rampant, Focus is on increasing # of managers rather than supporting existing reps and current managers, Product offering is limited.

Advice to Management

Listen to recordings of agents calling the home office...you might be shocked how disrespectful some HO staff is and the inaccurate information given. Cut the number of Regional Directors in half, half of them aren't producing anyway, use the savings to increase agent and managing partner compensation/support. Managing Partners are the ones who recruit new reps, make that a more attractive position and provide more support to them.

3. "Working for Modern Woodmen of America has been better than all the other insurance companies I have worked with."

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Besides having great products to offer my clients, Modern Woodmen is a fraternal company which provides $30 million every year for us to use in our communities. This is great fir the communities, our members, and has the effect of great marketing for us.

Cons

There are some additional products I wish we had to sell.

Advice to Management

Listen to the field reps for new products to meet market demands.

"Great Company...Client Focused. Good career opportunity especially if you plan to work in the middle America market."

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Madison, MS
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Madison, MS

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fraternal Company, Good Training for New Representatives, Very Good Corporate Citizen, Supports Representatives Giving Back to Community, Defined Benefit Plan Funded by Company, Excellent Medical & Dental Plans, 401K

Cons

Not as much support for seasoned representatives...more focused on newer reps, Relatively low commission rates compared to industry however benefits are good, Annual "Incentive" trip is basically a glorified sales meeting usually in a great location but the time is filled with meetings.

Advice to Management

Recognize that established reps need support too, Reduce amount of time spent in meetings at annual conference or stop making reps qualify, Promoting as many Regional Directors as possible doesn't make sense...they aren't the ones producing. Reduce the number of management in the field and increase agent compensation/bonus.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of independence and ability to set your own hours. Hardwork pays off sometimes but not always. You must be willing to harass a lot of people before you get a small sale.

Cons

Lack of quality training, must learn on the job. To be successful you must work long hours everyday and invest a lot of your own money into gas, client lunches, and advertising.

Advice to Management

Invest more time with your field representatives than simple class room lecture and a couple of sales calls.

"Modern Woodmen is a solid employer with good benefits and a strong training program"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the highest ratings for a financial services company.

Cons

Old workforce drives up the cost of health benefits.

"Run fast!!!"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was great! They made it seem like it the best place to work for.

Cons

Getting your own leads. No training from management. When you bring in a policy watch out, the managers will try to rob you!!!

Advice to Management

Don't hire shady managers & if you advertise to do something, do it. Don't waste anyone's time, it makes you look weak!

"After one year with Modern Woodmen, I find it an outstanding company to work for."

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Pittsburg, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Pittsburg, CA

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The focus of Modern Woodmen is to help its members. Other financial firms are many times only concerned with selling. The clear message in everything about Modern Woodmen from the top down is this. The more you help people (by working hard, being honest and treating everyone with dignity and respect) the more you will get in return. The fraternal side of MWA is a huge asset to both it's sales force and it's customers. If you're not familiar with the "fraternal" aspect of Modern Woodmen, do some research. I've found the right place to work.

Cons

As is the job of selling financial intangibles, you have to work hard and put in the hours. There is a lot to learn and you must do it on the run. As for cons, relative to any other financial service job or company, none come to mind.

Advice to Management

Management is open to conversation and quick and willing to give help and advice. My only comment would be to keep it up. Their dedication to keeping MWA members (and me) happy is a wonderful thing.

10. "Financial representative"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid based on how hard you work. Benefits are out of this World. I have a pension and they pay for all of my health insurance. I get to give the companies money to the communty as a way to advertise myself. Unbeatable products.

Cons

You get paid for how hard you work. nowhere to hide. takes someone who really wants to be successful, not just do “ok”

"Fraternal Benefits for members outstanding"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great support form everyone, the support we receive to give back to communities is awesome. Technology is up and coming, lap top with everything needed.....so much more

Cons

No financial support until you receive your license and become an active agent. Need several successful appointments to qualify for Financial support every month.

Advice to Management

Once agent passes exam and finger printing Modern Woodmen should really give at least a couple grand to agents to help for at least first 6 months, and training should be done at home office as soon as we are licensed not months later. It would really make a huge difference.