Moderna Therapeutics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Moderna Therapeutics CEO Stéphane Bancel
Stéphane Bancel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free lunch nothing else that is positive about this company" (in 14 reviews)

• "Fast paced environment and exponential career growth" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is no such thing as team work and upper management is a mess" (in 6 reviews)

• "Very poor work/life balance for most" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A truly exceptional place to work and grow"

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of biotechs claim to be dynamic, fast-paced, and exciting places to work, but Moderna really takes that to another level. The combination of funding, growth, and progress are truly exceptional, all built on a potentially revolutionary scientific platform. Those that relish the challenge and can deliver in that environment are recognized and can advance rapidly. It's also an amazing story to be part of and to observe from the inside.

Cons

The hyper-growth of Moderna created a lot of challenges, especially in the early days of 2013 and 2014. The evolution of the company culture struggled to keep up with that growth, and there was more turnover than was healthy. The culture is in a much better place now, but it can still be a challenging and demanding place to work, and that's not for everyone. Moving so fast on so many programs is exceptionally challenging, and sometimes decision making suffers.

Advice to Management

Work on the negative perceptions of Moderna as a place to work that is a hangover from the early days. Continue to build a culture that helps retain talent. Engage middle management more in strategic decision making.

Feb 20, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review! I think you speak for many employees that have joined Moderna for our fast pace and amazing growth. You're right - we aren't for everyone - but we are a great place for... More

2. "Fantastic place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very collaborative, new ideas are celebrated, "moving fast and break stuff" is the mantra.

Cons

High expectations sometimes catch new hires by surprise.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing!

3. "scientist"

Former Employee - Research Scientist
    Former Employee - Research Scientist

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great scientists come to work every day with lots of motivation.

Cons

Poor management land organization leads to chaotic environment, you may find yourself not knowing your path forward

"Moderna Culture"

Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are good, but they are getting the most important things wrong.

Cons

Unfortunately, Moderna is not a great place to work for many people. The root cause is top-down arrogance that dominates the organization. Top scientists, directors, and executives have departed at an alarming rate. The loss of quality leaders has left key positions filled by ineffective managers. The turning point occurred around the time veteran CSO Joe Bolen departed to be replaced by the current junior leadership.
    The company uses a forced ranking system. Front line managers have little say in the process. Negotiation between department heads play out with quid pro quo promotion trading and blocking, reputation sabotage, and a strong bias against non-pHDs. Weak leadership plays favorites and unloads failure on scapegoats. Uneven standards of evaluation lead to promotions that defy logic and demoralize talent.
    This system results in fighting over projects and accomplishments. Department silos. Passive aggressiveness, finger-pointing, disparaging reputations of peers. This non-collaborative, competitive spirit make Moderna a toxic place to work.

Advice to Management

True 360 and peer reviews that are given weight and meaning are desperately needed.

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative platform and dynamic team

Cons

Need much better scientific management

Advice to Management

Put those experienced drug developers in charge of each R&D program

"So much potential, but headed the wrong way lately"

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Moderna is a great, exciting company
    - free lunch/phone
    - cutting edge science
    - fun extra curricular events/ sports teams

Cons

- HUGE gap between management and lab personnel which results in a rift of understanding between what’s necessary to be done and frivolous tasks. (Lab maintenance, correct order of tasks,
    Etc)

- Very poor planning at the upper levels of management, which results in mid level managers being inundated with work to the point they are overwhelmed, which results in lower level employees suffering while watching upper management go out for “coffee” ~ 5 times a day

- Too many layers to management with not enough visibility

- HR only seems to be there to protect managers/corporate

- Progression happens only if you’re of a select few, otherwise you are made to believe you aren’t upholding expectations/ pulling your fair share

- Managers never come in lab and thus, have no exposure to employees actually working, and make assumptions on your work ethic based on what they hear/observe in 2 minutes of exposure.

- Say you never have to stay late, yet you’re viewed as lazy and not dedicated to the company if you don’t stay late constantly.

- Poor training and project management

Advice to Management

Get closer to your employees, engage and see what they actually do in lab, have some accountability rather than shoving it off on someone further down the chain than yourself. Preclinical was such a great department, however as it transitions to more of a GMP feel, management feels much less human and more about push as much work as fast as you can. I love Moderna and do not have it out for the company, rather I would like to see them fix these issues before they become much worse and go back to being the great department/company it was 2 years ago. Also, hire quality management instead of people trying to move up who failed at their last jobs!

Jun 6, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I'd love to learn more about your ideas and address some of concerns you are having in your group. Feel free to reach out to me at april.eldred@modernatx.com to find... More

7. "Thrilling company"

Pros

Very innovative, well funded, can do the right science

Cons

Few opportunities to meet with top management

May 23, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

This is great feedback - thank you! I am going to share your desire to have more visibility with senior leaders. Thanks for sharing. April Eldred, Head, Talent Acquisition

"Excellent opportunity, exponential personal and precessional growth. An absolutely fantastic place to be!"

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment and exponential career growth. Moderna is such an amazing place to be for driven people who are looking to take the next steps in their career. Never have I experienced such talented people, such a rewarding environment, or such personal and professional growth. Fantastic place to work.

Cons

Such a fast paced environment isn’t for everyone. For those driven individuals who accept and embrace change and constant improvement, this is the place for you.

Jan 29, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks - we love it here too! While certainly aren't for everyone - those that join us love our fast pace, passion for the science, and feel part of something much bigger. Thanks for sharing your... More

"Quality "Leadership" Recycled Failures from Alexion"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch nothing else that is positive about this company

Cons

Same micromanagers QA management from Alexion that lack strategic skills to be at a Sr. management role. Same unrealistic expectations like at Alexion late nights with emails flying after 10 pm to make themselves relevant and look like they are working hard. Overly ambitious mediocre backstabber that is all for herself and getting promoted.

Advice to Management

Keep close attention to the culture in QA and the lack of leadership skills in the current management team. The only thing that they are good at is backstabbing, lying, and destroying the career of those that are competent and a threat to their existence.

Jan 22, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Wow - thanks for sharing this. We definitely strive for a great work culture - and think we have it across most of the Company. Clearly, there are some challenges here we need to address, as your... More

"Work at here at your own risk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch is very good
    Health Insurance

Cons

Inexperienced Managers
    Cliques
    Ineffective HR
    Rampant Unprofessionalism

Jan 16, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your feedback. While I am not sure when you left Moderna, there is no excuse for any unprofessional behavior. Please reach out so I can learn more about any potential issues that... More