Moderna Therapeutics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Moderna Therapeutics CEO Stéphane Bancel
Stéphane Bancel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast paced environment and exponential career growth (in 12 reviews)

• Free lunch nothing else that is positive about this company (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • All the usual things you'd find at a company experiencing hyper growth (in 3 reviews)

• growing fast, but the amount of work is huge, and everyone is working really hard (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A truly exceptional place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of biotechs claim to be dynamic, fast-paced, and exciting places to work, but Moderna really takes that to another level. The combination of funding, growth, and progress are truly exceptional, all built on a potentially revolutionary scientific platform. Those that relish the challenge and can deliver in that environment are recognized and can advance rapidly. It's also an amazing story to be part of and to observe from the inside.

Cons

The hyper-growth of Moderna created a lot of challenges, especially in the early days of 2013 and 2014. The evolution of the company culture struggled to keep up with that growth, and there was more turnover than was healthy. The culture is in a much better place now, but it can still be a challenging and demanding place to work, and that's not for everyone. Moving so fast on so many programs is exceptionally challenging, and sometimes decision making suffers.

Advice to Management

Work on the negative perceptions of Moderna as a place to work that is a hangover from the early days. Continue to build a culture that helps retain talent. Engage middle management more in strategic decision making.

Feb 20, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review! I think you speak for many employees that have joined Moderna for our fast pace and amazing growth. You're right - we aren't for everyone - but we are a great place for... More

"Excellent opportunity, exponential personal and precessional growth. An absolutely fantastic place to be!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment and exponential career growth. Moderna is such an amazing place to be for driven people who are looking to take the next steps in their career. Never have I experienced such talented people, such a rewarding environment, or such personal and professional growth. Fantastic place to work.

Cons

Such a fast paced environment isn’t for everyone. For those driven individuals who accept and embrace change and constant improvement, this is the place for you.

Jan 29, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks - we love it here too! While certainly aren't for everyone - those that join us love our fast pace, passion for the science, and feel part of something much bigger. Thanks for sharing your... More

"Quality "Leadership" Recycled Failures from Alexion"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch nothing else that is positive about this company

Cons

Same micromanagers QA management from Alexion that lack strategic skills to be at a Sr. management role. Same unrealistic expectations like at Alexion late nights with emails flying after 10 pm to make themselves relevant and look like they are working hard. Overly ambitious mediocre backstabber that is all for herself and getting promoted.

Advice to Management

Keep close attention to the culture in QA and the lack of leadership skills in the current management team. The only thing that they are good at is backstabbing, lying, and destroying the career of those that are competent and a threat to their existence.

Jan 22, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Wow - thanks for sharing this. We definitely strive for a great work culture - and think we have it across most of the Company. Clearly, there are some challenges here we need to address, as your... More

"Work at here at your own risk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch is very good
    Health Insurance

Cons

Inexperienced Managers
    Cliques
    Ineffective HR
    Rampant Unprofessionalism

Jan 16, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your feedback. While I am not sure when you left Moderna, there is no excuse for any unprofessional behavior. Please reach out so I can learn more about any potential issues that... More

5. "Intern"

Pros

Fast-paced, challenging, fun, good perks

Cons

Not much that I can think of

Jan 3, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We are so glad you had a '5 -star' experience at Moderna. I hope we see you back again for your next internship - or perhaps a full-time role post-graduation.

"Started working at Moderna on a Monday and was looking for a new job by Friday..."

Former Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, free lunch, great people (mostly)

Cons

Too much work for the staff they have. No plan to get the huge volume of work done, except to expect current staff to work 12+ hour days every day. If you leave work after 8-9 hours, expect a conversation with your manager about "leaving early". Don't complain about working conditions, or you'll be called to a meeting with management and and be threatened with termination. You'll also be called into a meeting with management if you turn off/don't answer your cell phone late at night.
    Quick shifts in priorities and employees are expected to put in extra hours to make the impossible happen. Some groups not staffed appropriately for the work they have.
    Forget about seeing your husband/wife/children during the week.
    Only way to get promoted is to go out drinking with your boss after work.

Advice to Management

Hire enough staff to do what needs to be done. Start treating employees like they're disposable.

Jan 3, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your concerns. This is certainly not the typical employee experience at Moderna. I'd love to learn a bit more so I can help get to some of these underlying issues. Could you email... More

"Loving it here...."

Current Employee - Management in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Management in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like somewhere that is fast paced, collaborative, implements change quickly and thinks strategically about how they do things than this is the place for you.

The benefits are great (who doesn't love free lunch every day) as well as great medical benefits.

I've worked at two other biotechs and Moderna is a really special place to be.

Cons

- I wish we were all at one site, but that's one of the challenges of growing fast

8. "Fantastic science and brilliant colleagues!"

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time

Pros

great place to work with potentially revolutionary technology

Cons

rigid promotion schedule, uninspiring office space

"Moderna is doing well during a difficult hypergrowth phase"

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing talent in science, engineering, and bioinformatics
    Committment to innovation in "digital" infrastructure and custom automation
    Broad and deep pipeline, with vaccines leading the way
    Enough financial resources to solve the challenging scientific and engineering problems
    Engaged and very smart executive team

Cons

senior management is learning as they go when it comes to clinical development

Advice to Management

continue to invest in talent
    prioritize the pipeline to solve the most critical questions in time

"Research and Production"

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food and location.

Cons

Back stabbing, politics, and overworked staff.