Moderna Therapeutics Reviews | Glassdoor

"Challenging/Rewarding"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Good salary.

I think your experience will vary depending on the team you join. If you have a good leader and your team is still in the early stages, which mine is, then you find yourself doing challenging/meaningful work in a good atmosphere with plenty of opportunity for career development.

As others have mentioned, the work is fast-paced, priorities/direction changes quickly, and you are expected to be great at your job. If you are agile, motivated, and welcome change and a little stress, you'll love it here.

Personally, this is the best job I've ever had.

Cons

Company is divide between multiple sites. Some people don't handle the environment well, and this leads to a higher turnover than is probably normal. I honestly don't have any other negatives to relay.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure I'm qualified to offer advice to management. Still, I'd like to see more transparency around the strategy and state of the company. Also, I think more of an effort should be made to engage the contractors for the sake of motivation and cohesion.

"A surprisingly great place to work"

Current Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA

Pros

I didn't know what to think when accepting this job. Many of the reviews here make it sound somewhat terrible. I don't know who those people are but they could not be more mistaken. Moderna is a great place to work. It's full (and I do mean full) of smart, energetic, and driven employees. The hierarchy is very flat and I've only witnessed mutual respect among the employees and management. The president, in particular, is the perfect fit for this company.

I strongly suspect that all of the negative reviews are coming from employees who either wanted to coast or who could not handle the fast paced and dynamic environment. Yes, things change VERY fast here but they need to. It's a small, responsible company. It's not Novartis.

Pay is great, perks are great, people are great. There is an excitement that is pervasive in this company and it's well deserved.

Cons

Walking between the sites for meetings is a tad annoying. Relocating somewhere warm would be nice. It would be great if we could migrate for iPhones to Android devices.

Advice to Management

You're going in the right direction. There's a lot of untapped talent within the company so be sure to look internally for promotions before going externally. Maybe make a special effort to make the contractors feel especially welcome. Other than that, keep up the free lunch and the other perks. They make a big difference.

"So happy here-- challenged every day"

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Really fast-paced, opportunity for advancement, high level of accountability and responsibility, respect for ideas, not job title

Cons

Priorities change REALLY fast, and there's some ego getting in the way of good science

Advice to Management

Really work on consolidating the company into one site.

"Amazingly fast pace"

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company does exciting science, and they really try to get it right. New ideas are always welcome, which is a great feature. The work is cutting-edge, exciting, and fast-paced. If you can handle it, it's an amazing place to work - the company is ambitious and serious about meeting its goals. it is definitely on the way up.

Compensation is good, not great. Benefits are good, not great as well.

Cons

Directions of projects can turn on a dime, so the job requires an amazing about of agility and adaptability. Upper management is not shy about offering criticism - they are genuinely trying to improve things, but being able to handle criticism is definitely a must.

Advice to Management

Company organization is fluid by design, but there is little communication about coming changes, so it's very easy to be caught off-guard in the current scenario. Better communication of present and future plans would go a long way.

"Are those balloons popping?"

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great salary and benefits
    -Free lunch
    -Apple products
    -Bawhston
    -Dranks

Cons

With the recent department of the top scientist at Moderna, I am unsure what the future holds for me.

Advice to Management

-Stop being so messy and get it together.

"The Company is a Mess"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

The only Pro this company has is the vacation time away from the company. 2 weeks off for winter, on top of your vacation time already. They celebrate almost every holiday.

Cons

Believe all of the negative reviews you see about this company because they are absolutely true. I highly advise that people stay away from this company (especially scientists).
    There is no such thing as team work and upper management is a mess. Executives are highly focused on themselves. They call Moderna a "family" but its fake. They work their employees 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and their turnover rate is extremely high. You see about 25+ employees start at the beginning of the month and by the end, half have been fired and/or quit. Its not even worth getting to know some of the new hires because you know they will be gone sooner rather than later.
    The company seems exciting to work for in the beginning until you realize how much you do for the company and how little they appreciate it. Employees work all of the time, and there is no reward for your efforts. There is hardly any growth within the company and there are no boundaries. Employee's are greedy, rude, and focus on themselves. There is no real teamwork which is sad to see.
    Don't ever think that HR is there to support you, they don't enforce any rules...for anyone. They are just there to pretend like they know what they are doing.
    Its a rat race over there and you will not get far. You will end up leaving wondering why you even wanted to work there in the first place. There is no morale, no protocols and no respect for anyoone.

Advice to Management

Set boundaries for your executive and learn when someone from management is not a great fit for the company. People would be happy to stay and work for the company if you actually enforced rules that does not allow people get away with disrespectfully treating others.

"The most exciting place I've ever worked at !"

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An extremely Dynamic environment with empowered people delivering on an Exceptional Science !

Cons

if you are talented and and enjoy spending hours when your work is calling you, this is the place to be and you'll be rewarded!. If you're an OK person or don't want to try hard, just forget it.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the science forward !

"Great people working hard to do great science"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people who want to collaborate and drive the science forward. Glad some of the early hire 'nay sayers' are gone. A meritocracy that rewards and recognizes good performance in a work hard, play hard environment. Solid benefits and lots of cool stuff to get involved in at and after work. Great employee family event yesterday. Not the same company as 2 years ago - getting all grown up.

Cons

Space is tight due to rapid growth but expansion plans have been shared with all employees at one of the regular all employee meetings.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in people. More individual development needed

"Hero complex"

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time

Pros

none just viscous know all complexes

Cons

Hero complex. Me ME MEE. Its all about me. Insatiable megalomaniacs.

Advice to Management

Grow a brain

"Not sure who wrote these negative reviews. I've had nothing but great experiences."

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The thing about Moderna is you have to be exceptional at your job. Plain and simple. The ethos of the company is to hire only the best, and it shows. The people from CEO, to finance, to scientists, to facility management are all fantastic, and they expect you to be fantastic, too. If you're not, you'll feel the pressure to excel. This is handled either by meeting the expectations of the organization or leaving. Welcome to biotech in the 2010's, things are competitive.

Cons

All the usual things you'd find at a company experiencing hyper growth. Since things move so fast, sometimes it's hard to see the bigger picture. It's a lot like building an airplane mid-flight.

Advice to Management

Mis-steps by upper management should be admitted to the company by email and include an explanation of why the wrong decision was made. Accountability must scale, or faith in the top will crumble.