Moderna Therapeutics Reviews | Glassdoor

Moderna Therapeutics CEO Stéphane Bancel
Stéphane Bancel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Research and Production"

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food and location.

Cons

Back stabbing, politics, and overworked staff.

"Mixed experience"

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location, seminars, lots of investment/capital

Cons

They overwork the employees and there's too much politics. Really a waste of time, no learning or growth for some folks. No balance at all

"Are those balloons popping?"

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great salary and benefits
    -Free lunch
    -Apple products
    -Bawhston
    -Dranks

Cons

With the recent department of the top scientist at Moderna, I am unsure what the future holds for me.

Advice to Management

-Stop being so messy and get it together.

"The Company is a Mess"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

The only Pro this company has is the vacation time away from the company. 2 weeks off for winter, on top of your vacation time already. They celebrate almost every holiday.

Cons

Believe all of the negative reviews you see about this company because they are absolutely true. I highly advise that people stay away from this company (especially scientists).
    There is no such thing as team work and upper management is a mess. Executives are highly focused on themselves. They call Moderna a "family" but its fake. They work their employees 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and their turnover rate is extremely high. You see about 25+ employees start at the beginning of the month and by the end, half have been fired and/or quit. Its not even worth getting to know some of the new hires because you know they will be gone sooner rather than later.
    The company seems exciting to work for in the beginning until you realize how much you do for the company and how little they appreciate it. Employees work all of the time, and there is no reward for your efforts. There is hardly any growth within the company and there are no boundaries. Employee's are greedy, rude, and focus on themselves. There is no real teamwork which is sad to see.
    Don't ever think that HR is there to support you, they don't enforce any rules...for anyone. They are just there to pretend like they know what they are doing.
    Its a rat race over there and you will not get far. You will end up leaving wondering why you even wanted to work there in the first place. There is no morale, no protocols and no respect for anyoone.

Advice to Management

Set boundaries for your executive and learn when someone from management is not a great fit for the company. People would be happy to stay and work for the company if you actually enforced rules that does not allow people get away with disrespectfully treating others.

"Software engineers...run! Stay away from this place!"

Former Contractor - Senior Software Developer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Developer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics as a contractor

Pros

Can't help but notice how obviously fake the positive reviews are. They all sound the same kind of marketing statements, "this place is for great people" or something along the lines that if you don't like it you're not talented. These reviews just smell like BS from a mile away!

The only pros is that they have free food.

Cons

I worked there for a little less than a year and could tell you from first hand experience that it's not a place you want to be at. Boston is loaded with tons of opportunities for software developers. Do yourself a favor and pass on this company.

"Hero complex"

Current Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time

Pros

none just viscous know all complexes

Cons

Hero complex. Me ME MEE. Its all about me. Insatiable megalomaniacs.

Advice to Management

Grow a brain

"After Reading Last Two Reviews, I decided to write"

Former Employee - Director of Chemistry in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Director of Chemistry in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After reading the last two reviews, I decided to write. I am highly skeptical of the last two current reviews, where current two employee praised the management and the company. The two review praise is contradictory to what others have written. I joined Moderna at it infancy when it was a 4 employees company and operating from a two room office-cum-laboratories. I was the first Director of Chemistry. I helped Moderna setup their chemistry department, negotiate to acquire lab assets from my previous employer. Hire staff and filed first two Chemistry Patents applications. Honestly speaking, I had never experienced such an abusive, manipulative and arrogant CEO and the-then-CSO at any company in my entire life. The behavior from management was to blame every thing on others. Change projects on a fly, then fire some associates for failure if results to their like were not produced over night. Random firing of associates was a common practice. I am speaking facts here. I am not sure Glassdoor will publish it.

Cons

I had none for this company.

Advice to Management

Replace the management. However, I do have advice to candidates who are looking for job. If you want to experience frustration, and affect your career for getting fired for reasons you will never figure out, then do apply, otherwise please....

"No hope for Moderna"

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, nice location, nice benefits

Cons

There are no good upper level scientists. Small company but everything is not transparent (scientifically), no company meeting to show any scientific data, maybe nobody knows what they are doing or there is no good data to show?!. Moderna is just a business firm, not a Biotech company.Hope something can come out from $500 million dollars.

Advice to Management

Please hire some smart and intelligent scientists

"Is Moderna the next Genetech?"

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful access to Kendall Square and a great place to meet up with friends from MIT or who work for companies that are actually commercializing products for alfresco lunches. Senior management is generously compensated and tends to have a taste for the finer French things in life.

Cons

Moderna is not the next Genetech, but their checks don't bounce if you get my drift. Moderna is more like a poor man's Sirtris Pharmaceuticals. Their science is indeed mysterious...ie dark arts.

Advice to Management

Instead of diverting resources on expensive public relations campaigns, focus on supporting your scientists and staff so the company may someday move forward. Be upfront with new employees about the company's past and where we are headed now. Engage with former employees who left the company (for various reasons) who might still have much to offer.

"Soul-destroying sweat shop where employees are disposable assets"

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time

Pros

Good benefits, health plan, 401k etc.

Cons

Stressful, toxic atmosphere that brings out the worst in everyone. Goddamn awful management team whose plans change daily, who talk all the time about the Moderna "family" in our employee meetings but then fire people on a whim (the rate of employee turnover here has to be seen to be believed). No rational vision for the company beyond maybe convincing somebody who believes all the media hype to buy it so that management can bail with fat checks in their hands.

Advice to Management

Employees need to be respected and valued for their contributions. You can't build a successful company on the backs of indentured servants. If you put half as much thought and energy into the actual science that goes on in the lab as you do into business deals and exit strategies you might eventually have something real to sell people that isn't just self-aggrandizing hype.