Moderna Therapeutics Reviews | Glassdoor

Moderna Therapeutics CEO Stéphane Bancel
Stéphane Bancel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Moderna is doing well during a difficult hypergrowth phase"

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing talent in science, engineering, and bioinformatics
    Committment to innovation in "digital" infrastructure and custom automation
    Broad and deep pipeline, with vaccines leading the way
    Enough financial resources to solve the challenging scientific and engineering problems
    Engaged and very smart executive team

Cons

growing fast, but the amount of work is huge, and everyone is working really hard
    senior management is learning as they go when it comes to clinical development

Advice to Management

continue to invest in talent
    prioritize the pipeline to solve the most critical questions in time

"Not sure who wrote these negative reviews. I've had nothing but great experiences."

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The thing about Moderna is you have to be exceptional at your job. Plain and simple. The ethos of the company is to hire only the best, and it shows. The people from CEO, to finance, to scientists, to facility management are all fantastic, and they expect you to be fantastic, too. If you're not, you'll feel the pressure to excel. This is handled either by meeting the expectations of the organization or leaving. Welcome to biotech in the 2010's, things are competitive.

Cons

All the usual things you'd find at a company experiencing hyper growth. Since things move so fast, sometimes it's hard to see the bigger picture. It's a lot like building an airplane mid-flight.

Advice to Management

Mis-steps by upper management should be admitted to the company by email and include an explanation of why the wrong decision was made. Accountability must scale, or faith in the top will crumble.

"An extremely exciting place to work at"

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-exciting science
    -great people
    -great location
    -great benefits

Cons

-currently the company is split between two locations in Cambridge (5min walk from each other).

"Great people working hard to do great science"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people who want to collaborate and drive the science forward. Glad some of the early hire 'nay sayers' are gone. A meritocracy that rewards and recognizes good performance in a work hard, play hard environment. Solid benefits and lots of cool stuff to get involved in at and after work. Great employee family event yesterday. Not the same company as 2 years ago - getting all grown up.

Cons

Space is tight due to rapid growth but expansion plans have been shared with all employees at one of the regular all employee meetings.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in people. More individual development needed

"The most exciting place I've ever worked at !"

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An extremely Dynamic environment with empowered people delivering on an Exceptional Science !

Cons

if you are talented and and enjoy spending hours when your work is calling you, this is the place to be and you'll be rewarded!. If you're an OK person or don't want to try hard, just forget it.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the science forward !

"Amazingly fast pace"

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company does exciting science, and they really try to get it right. New ideas are always welcome, which is a great feature. The work is cutting-edge, exciting, and fast-paced. If you can handle it, it's an amazing place to work - the company is ambitious and serious about meeting its goals. it is definitely on the way up.

Compensation is good, not great. Benefits are good, not great as well.

Cons

Directions of projects can turn on a dime, so the job requires an amazing about of agility and adaptability. Upper management is not shy about offering criticism - they are genuinely trying to improve things, but being able to handle criticism is definitely a must.

Advice to Management

Company organization is fluid by design, but there is little communication about coming changes, so it's very easy to be caught off-guard in the current scenario. Better communication of present and future plans would go a long way.

"A surprisingly great place to work"

Current Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA

Pros

I didn't know what to think when accepting this job. Many of the reviews here make it sound somewhat terrible. I don't know who those people are but they could not be more mistaken. Moderna is a great place to work. It's full (and I do mean full) of smart, energetic, and driven employees. The hierarchy is very flat and I've only witnessed mutual respect among the employees and management. The president, in particular, is the perfect fit for this company.

I strongly suspect that all of the negative reviews are coming from employees who either wanted to coast or who could not handle the fast paced and dynamic environment. Yes, things change VERY fast here but they need to. It's a small, responsible company. It's not Novartis.

Pay is great, perks are great, people are great. There is an excitement that is pervasive in this company and it's well deserved.

Cons

Walking between the sites for meetings is a tad annoying. Relocating somewhere warm would be nice. It would be great if we could migrate for iPhones to Android devices.

Advice to Management

You're going in the right direction. There's a lot of untapped talent within the company so be sure to look internally for promotions before going externally. Maybe make a special effort to make the contractors feel especially welcome. Other than that, keep up the free lunch and the other perks. They make a big difference.

"Great Experience"

Pros

Good fast paced atmosphere, everyone dedicated to science and platform. Many perks like free lunch and food, free parking, etc.

Cons

Not many. Employees are expected to work hours to get work done which can be a lot depending on which group you are in.

"Challenging/Rewarding"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Good salary.

I think your experience will vary depending on the team you join. If you have a good leader and your team is still in the early stages, which mine is, then you find yourself doing challenging/meaningful work in a good atmosphere with plenty of opportunity for career development.

As others have mentioned, the work is fast-paced, priorities/direction changes quickly, and you are expected to be great at your job. If you are agile, motivated, and welcome change and a little stress, you'll love it here.

Personally, this is the best job I've ever had.

Cons

Company is divide between multiple sites. Some people don't handle the environment well, and this leads to a higher turnover than is probably normal. I honestly don't have any other negatives to relay.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure I'm qualified to offer advice to management. Still, I'd like to see more transparency around the strategy and state of the company. Also, I think more of an effort should be made to engage the contractors for the sake of motivation and cohesion.

"Excellent company home to great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Moderna is a fast evolving and exciting company. I was fortunate to spend 2+ great years there before deciding to leave as part of a change in careers. I enjoyed great support while there, which continued despite my decision to leave.

The collaborative environment at Moderna makes it a special place to not only do great science in your subject expertise area but to learn from truly cross-functional teams.

Despite a growing number of development targets, the senior management continues to invest heavily in research but more importantly in people too.

The senior management team is constantly adding benefits for the employees and uses a "Voice of the Employees" forum to prioritize these initiatives.

Free transport pass or parking, free phone, free lunch are just some of the nice perks.

It is not a company for people who want to do a 9-5 job; there is a constant drive to improve the technology through collaborative science. You will have accelerated learning and growth.

Employees at all levels get the opportunity to own their work and to interact with some of the best scientists in biotech, including some great external advisers.

Lots of happy hours, company outings and fun parties!

Cons

Negative reviews from early days are not reflective of the current company

I was there through much change at the company and this is a company that experienced hyper growth, with growing pains but these are largely solved now.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in people
    As you grow keep the "start-up mentality" that made it a fun, dynamic place to work