Moderna Therapeutics Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Moderna Therapeutics CEO Stéphane Bancel
Stéphane Bancel

"Moderna Therapeutics"

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lunch is free and parking is free

Cons

Disappointed at the management and their decision process is disorganized.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics (More than a year)

Pros

Although Moderna is over-hyped, there is some exciting science taking place there. There are also a lot of good people who work there

Cons

The arrogance of certain members of management is hard to swallow when you consider the fact that all but one has NEVER developed a drug or have been part of a team that has. The oppressive culture is generally true although some groups experience it worse than others. A lot of good talent left while I was there.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't really know where to begin. I guess what's happening at Moderna is true of a lot of biotechs, it just seems more exaggerated. There seem to be a lot of overpaid people who do very little and lean heavily on lesser paid people who have too much to do, solving this issue would be a good start.

"good place to learn and work for 6 months, then get a better job at a company that actually cares about its employees"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

smart people working on some cool tech
    fair amount of autonomy... learned a lot in a very short amount of time
    free lunch

Cons

moderna cares very little for their employees and cares even less for their contractors. for a startup where people work as hard as they do, there are no perks to working here: no stock options, no equity (and no, profit share does not count!) minimal vacation time, plus the pay is not that great. honestly it is deplorable for a "billion dollar startup" to have contractors with graduate degrees who are getting paid $20-25/hr to work on crucial production processes.

theres also a ton of corporate BS as moderna keeps adding more and more layers of management .. it is very hard to impress a boss that you get zero facetime with. on top of that, it is especially unfair to contractors because they make about as much money as the full time employees (they dont get benefits of course) but are made into permanent moderna employees if they put in too many overtime hours... otherwise are stuck waiting for the headcount to be favorable to management before they can be made permanent and this is only if they are one of the lucky few teachers pets. this breeds a lot of resentment among the contractors and is the primary reason why the average term of employment at moderna is ~6 months.

Advice to Management

STOP HIRING CONTRACTORS - invest some money here and make everyone a permanent employee. pay people what they are worth (and I don't just mean the leads and senior scientists here..). actually care about your employees opinions instead of punishing people who complain as there is a reason for it.
    you guys are losing a ton of effective people and will keep having to train new workers every 6 months if you dont change something.

5. "Good"

Pros

I enjoyed working there and learned a lot.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

"Fast-paced, interesting, but room for improvement"

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time

Pros

Location, benefits, capital, free lunch, hyper growth means lots of job opportunities. Cool science. some very close-knit teams.

Cons

Employees are generally overworked. Very poor work/life balance for most. Toxic office politics. They have lost a lot of really great, effective people.

Advice to Management

Mind the trickle-down effect. Focus. Hiring top talent means nothing if you can't retain them.

"Excellent company home to great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Moderna is a fast evolving and exciting company. I was fortunate to spend 2+ great years there before deciding to leave as part of a change in careers. I enjoyed great support while there, which continued despite my decision to leave.

The collaborative environment at Moderna makes it a special place to not only do great science in your subject expertise area but to learn from truly cross-functional teams.

Despite a growing number of development targets, the senior management continues to invest heavily in research but more importantly in people too.

The senior management team is constantly adding benefits for the employees and uses a "Voice of the Employees" forum to prioritize these initiatives.

Free transport pass or parking, free phone, free lunch are just some of the nice perks.

It is not a company for people who want to do a 9-5 job; there is a constant drive to improve the technology through collaborative science. You will have accelerated learning and growth.

Employees at all levels get the opportunity to own their work and to interact with some of the best scientists in biotech, including some great external advisers.

Lots of happy hours, company outings and fun parties!

Cons

Negative reviews from early days are not reflective of the current company

I was there through much change at the company and this is a company that experienced hyper growth, with growing pains but these are largely solved now.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in people
    As you grow keep the "start-up mentality" that made it a fun, dynamic place to work

"Challenging/Rewarding"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Good salary.

I think your experience will vary depending on the team you join. If you have a good leader and your team is still in the early stages, which mine is, then you find yourself doing challenging/meaningful work in a good atmosphere with plenty of opportunity for career development.

As others have mentioned, the work is fast-paced, priorities/direction changes quickly, and you are expected to be great at your job. If you are agile, motivated, and welcome change and a little stress, you'll love it here.

Personally, this is the best job I've ever had.

Cons

Company is divide between multiple sites. Some people don't handle the environment well, and this leads to a higher turnover than is probably normal. I honestly don't have any other negatives to relay.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure I'm qualified to offer advice to management. Still, I'd like to see more transparency around the strategy and state of the company. Also, I think more of an effort should be made to engage the contractors for the sake of motivation and cohesion.

"Mixed experience"

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location, seminars, lots of investment/capital

Cons

They overwork the employees and there's too much politics. Really a waste of time, no learning or growth for some folks. No balance at all

"Great Experience"

Pros

Good fast paced atmosphere, everyone dedicated to science and platform. Many perks like free lunch and food, free parking, etc.

Cons

Not many. Employees are expected to work hours to get work done which can be a lot depending on which group you are in.

"A surprisingly great place to work"

Current Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA

Pros

I didn't know what to think when accepting this job. Many of the reviews here make it sound somewhat terrible. I don't know who those people are but they could not be more mistaken. Moderna is a great place to work. It's full (and I do mean full) of smart, energetic, and driven employees. The hierarchy is very flat and I've only witnessed mutual respect among the employees and management. The president, in particular, is the perfect fit for this company.

I strongly suspect that all of the negative reviews are coming from employees who either wanted to coast or who could not handle the fast paced and dynamic environment. Yes, things change VERY fast here but they need to. It's a small, responsible company. It's not Novartis.

Pay is great, perks are great, people are great. There is an excitement that is pervasive in this company and it's well deserved.

Cons

Walking between the sites for meetings is a tad annoying. Relocating somewhere warm would be nice. It would be great if we could migrate for iPhones to Android devices.

Advice to Management

You're going in the right direction. There's a lot of untapped talent within the company so be sure to look internally for promotions before going externally. Maybe make a special effort to make the contractors feel especially welcome. Other than that, keep up the free lunch and the other perks. They make a big difference.