Moffatt & Nichol Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Eric Nichol

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Like anywhere, the job is as good as or as poor as you are willing to make it."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been here 10 years. I have always received the resources I need to do my work. I have always had support on initiatives I want to implement that are within the realm of the work we do as a company, including a few things that we did not do prior to me working here. I work hard and put in the hours needed to get the job done and as a result of being willing to treat this as a career instead of just a job, I am never questioned if I need time off or need to run an errand during business hours. I've seen all levels of staff permitted the same type of flexibility if needed. The company as a whole has worked with me when I have needed extended time off for medical or family needs. I've seen the company treat others very fairly in similar needs for time off.

Cons

Like any company, there are things I don't always agree with on direction or how some things are addressed, but considering my name is not on the building, I focus on how these things impact what I am trying to accomplish. The company supports what I do, so disagreement is all I have. It's no different here than 99 percent of work places where you have different folks from different backgrounds with different work ethics all working together.

Advice to Management

Abandon the collaborative short cubicle environment that is sweeping the country. It may work if everyone did the same type of work, but with different teams doing different things, it is more distracting than helpful. Have walls high enough so walks by's don't interrupt work and allow folks to put up some personal effects to make their cube environment more personal. Putting up a job board to keep track of project status is almost impossible in the short cubicle space.

2. "Engineer"

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol full-time

Pros

Good working environment in Long Beach office

Cons

Not quite sure yet for now

3. "Excellent Engineers"

Former Employee - Engineer in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Moffatt & Nichol full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best engineers I had worked with, learned more there than anywhere else.

Cons

The company has to win bids to keep people working. The uncertainty is a reflection of the trade.

Advice to Management

n/a

4. "Corporate America"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the first 3 years the hours were flexible. Now we need to be in the office by a certain time and remain for a certain time. If we take time off for any reason it has to be in 4 hour increments.

Cons

They provide zero training - you are handed assignments and expected to accomplish them in as short a time as veteran employees. The communication from the top down is lacking. Issues are ignored or are not dealt with proactively.

Advice to Management

Listen to your subordinates. At least consult them and consider what they have to say. Provide the tone on one pairing of a senior employee with a more junior one to allow the more junior employees to learn the necessary skills M&N needs to become a strong company.

5. "In For The Long Haul"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart firm, super interesting projects, high energy levels, travel, good benefits, management supportive but unburdensome

Cons

new office with open "collaborative" work space, firm slow to hire when warranted

Advice to Management

Make the cube dividers taller. Develop more effective means to manage workload and staffing. Establish employee stock purchase plan.

6. "good company to work with"

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol full-time

Pros

nice people and working environment

Cons

lack of mentorship for young people

"Times Have Changed"

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol full-time

Pros

This company consists of a diverse and unique set of practices within the civil engineering discipline, making the project opportunities different than a typical civil engineering firm.

Cons

When I first started working here 10+ years ago, this company was special. The turnover rate was very low because they were very selective about who they hired and employees were treated with respect, creating a work environment that lends itself towards having long-term employees. I remember feeling a sense of pride that I was able to get a job here while the remainder of my classmates went to 3 or 4 other large consulting firms in the area, knowing that most of them would only last a couple years at those firms before they moved on search of something better. I remained proud of this company and proud to work for it for several years until the former CEO stepped aside to let his son take over. Ever since then, this company has undergone a constant downhill slide. For this first time in the 10+ years I have worked here, we are not receiving raises and bonuses due to poor economic performance and poor management. Maybe they should reconsider the newer foreign offices that are consistently losing a lot of money year after year. They have taken away all of the little things that used to make this place special. Now it’s just like any other consulting firm and employees have no incentive to stay, especially those at the junior and mid-level positions. I have witnessed many talented junior and mid-level engineers run towards the exit. The turnover rate is astounding now. Corporate has put so much pressure on the engineers to make that ever elusive multiplier and have such unrealistic expectations for utilization that it’s just ridiculous. It’s very unfortunate that the management under the new CEO had completely ruined what used to be a great place to work. The corporate staff is pretty much incompetent. They can’t ever seem to follow through with any policies. For example, In the 10+ years I’ve been here, I think I’ve done an annual review maybe 5 or 6 times which is completely unacceptable. That should be a mandatory thing every year. As an outcome of this, mid-year raises never occur at the same time (since there is rarely any sort of review process) so people are constantly left wondering when and if they are getting one. Also, the CEO tried to go to a “practice” based system where each discipline in the company had a leader who tried to coordinate work across the company so that offices were working together by pooling resources. However, the CEO decided to take away the budget for the practice leaders who have now had to stop the monthly coordination meetings and we are back to the way it was before with little communication and support between offices. The company also offers very little as far as professional development. They had one set of PM training sessions but did not even allow all of the PMs to participate. Only a select few were chosen based on a criteria that nobody can figure out. In addition, the accounting department, also under new management, is a joke. I don’t think this company will ever be what it once was, which is very unfortunate.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to solicit feedback (anonymous) from their employees. I don’t know a single person that I work with on a daily basis who has anything positive to say about management. The dictatorship has to stop and they need to provide employees with incentive to work hard and the tools they need to advance in their careers.

8. "Good benefits, decent pay"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer II in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer II in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Insurance coverage is good; health, vision, and dental
    good backlog of work
    good balance of personalities, though very few women on staff

Cons

pay is decent, but seems to be lower than other firms
    making changes to pay and bonus structure that only benefits upper management
    lower level employees are only eligible for overtime - even though overtime not available on most projects

Advice to Management

make pay raises available at middle of year, not towards the end.
    make overtime available if bonus is not

9. "Great Place, Friendly People!"

I have been working at Moffatt & Nichol part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, let you do your job kind of place.

Cons

The company yacht. A fishing trip now and then wouldn't sink it or anything.

Advice to Management

See above as regards fishing trip.

10. "Great Work Environment"

Pros

Great work atmosphere. People are friendly and helpful. You get to interact with people of different skill levels.

Cons

Recent cut down in a few really good benefits.

Advice to Management

Find a good balance between keeping employees happy and profit making.