Molbak's Reviews | Glassdoor

Jens Molbak

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Woodinville, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Woodinville, WA

I worked at Molbak's (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were amazing; great community.

Cons

Pay was low and pay increases were in small increments

Advice to Management

Management be mindful of what an exceptional community of people work for you and thus be quick to praise on how great their work is and less apt to catch people out. Consider pay more commensurate with the care and work ethic of employees.

"Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodinville, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodinville, WA

I have been working at Molbak's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful surroundings with daily exposure to blooming plants and gorgeous displays.
    Friendly co-workers and mostly happy customers.
    Small company where individuals can make a difference.
    Company has terrific reputation as a "best of class" Garden Center.

Cons

Seasonal sales spikes are extreme and can be challenging to operations, creating short periods of high stress.
    Labor levels kept tight, by design, which creates additional pressure on staff.
    Decision making process is sometimes slow as managers look for consensus on even minor changes.

"Limited support from managers. No opportunity for benefits or raises."

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Woodinville, WA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Woodinville, WA

I worked at Molbak's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like gardening and home décor you will LOVE the atmosphere. The employees and customers are very pleasant. Some minor perks for employees such as discounted price on damaged plants. I found the training to be helpful, but I had prior experience. The owner (Jens) seems very dedicated. They offer secure lockers for staff to keep their belongings safe.

Cons

VERY POOR COMPENSATION. Must have open availability or you will loose all your hours without notice (if you turn down a shift, expect to lose several shifts!) their is no consideration for employees home life. You can't park on site during peak holiday times so you will be driving several blocks to find a space and need to walk alone back to your car (in the cold and dark) after work. Employee sexual harassment issues are not handled properly.. after experiencing this issue personally I told my manager who never told anyone else.. several days later I went to the manager above them and the issue was swept under the rug, I even had to sign a paper saying I would not discuss any details of the manner or I would lose my job! Also managers don't let you leave if you are feeling sick or have a bad cold, I started feeling really bad and almost threw up and when I asked to leave early (it was not busy at the time) I was told "We will see, ask me in two hours when we have more staff coming in." The managers do not offer enough support to the employees, they don't listen to ideas or concerns, and they intentionally prevent employee growth. If an employee is struggling the managers are oblivious. If an employee is working hard and doing well it goes unnoticed. I believe their is a lot of favoritism among staff, so hard work is not rewarded. Lastly the establishment has rats and employees were asked to refer to them as 'beavers' so customers wouldn't know (you can see them scurry away when you turn on the lights in the lunch room) and the rats are HUGE because they get into the in-store café to eat at night.

Advice to Management

I would offer Jens (the owner) some advice, that he needs to find new managers. I would tell managers to offer better pay, better hours, and more employee support. Employees deserve to be paid based on performance, meaning their speed, accuracy, and customer service. Fulltime hours should be offered and benefits should be given to those who work them. Let sick employees go home. Address sexual harassment issues in a timely appropriate manner, do not dismiss concerns of this nature.

"Great learning opportunity"

Former Employee - Buyer in Woodinville, WA
    Former Employee - Buyer in Woodinville, WA

Pros

Beautiful place, very inspiring. Fun good natured associates.

Cons

Very low compensation. Worked a salared position, requiring 50 + hours a week to get work load accomplished.

Advice to Management

Some serious cut-backs happened to strengthen the company at great cost to selling team and staff. At least show some emotion, concern or appretiation for those who gave so much.

6. "Average"

I worked at Molbak's full-time

Pros

Benefits, paid time off acrues.

Cons

Doesn't give raises . Hard goods mgr picks favorites and no business degree.paid holidays make you take another day off to compensate.

Advice to Management

Share profits with employees and chances for advancement. Give authentic reviews.

"Great exercise!"

I worked at Molbak's full-time

Pros

Coworkers were very friendly and very willing to show a new employee the ropes. I almost always felt welcome. Some higher ups were on the snappish side, but you learn to let it roll off your back. I still go in and say hi to some of my friends that still work there! You also get a LOT of exercise walking/running around the store and back and forth to the warehouse. I regularly walked about 7 miles every day.

Cons

The employee discount isn't great for new employees, but had I stayed on past 6 months it would have gone up a little bit. Also, the hours were very hard for someone like me who isn't a morning person.

"Long time employee"

I have been working at Molbak's full-time

Pros

Molbak's is a genuine family-owned small business. Company decisions are made on-site by managers who all employees know. Everyone can contribute and make a difference.
    Molbak's is known for the high quality of its products and customer service. It is a beautiful place to work.

Cons

The seasonality of the business creates periods of stress. The retail schedule requires weekend and holiday work, which impacts employee family life. Working in old greenhouses, while having some charm, can be cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

Advice to Management

Encourage more extensive dialogue and engagement with front line staff. Remember to verbally appreciate the hard work everyone puts in.

"The customers see the best side"

Former Employee - Buyer
    Former Employee - Buyer

I worked at Molbak's full-time

Pros

Small family-run business that hunkers down in tough times and sticks to the row they have always hoed, for better or worse.

Cons

Poor compensation. A buyer hired in 2012 got $35K. This is far below any buyer standards in Woodinville or surrounding area.
    Very little respect for employees. A training program put in place in 2013 asks that employees memorize a series of "cards" and say them back to a manager. These cards are pretty basic, and many of the employees are far beyond what they offer. The skill sets that many of the existing employees have are ignored.
    Molbak's has a set way of doing things dictated by the very few, as in most companies. Reviews are a formality -- the best you will get might be a 4 out of 5 but I never saw higher than a 3. Seasoned personnel also only saw 3s. The reason for this is so they can say "You still need improvement. No raise for you." The salary you agree upon before stepping in the door will probably be same the salary as when you leave.
    Some of the key management players only have high school education, no business degrees. They came to Molbak's because their business had failed, and one is there because he was hand-picked by Jens Molbak, and therefore is untouchable.
    The HR department is run by the Chief Financial Officer. This came about because the last HR person who did her job and was an employee advocate was fired.

Advice to Management

There is no opportunity here to advance or have your ideas acknowledged. Even in the annual brainstorming meeting, people hang back, afraid to put themselves out there for fear of rocking the boat and losing their jobs.

"Small family run business. There is no dedicated HR dept.--instead the CFO runs HR. Management issues."

Pros

Molbak's is always looking for employees.

Cons

Molbak's is perceived as a poor place to work--low pay, limited hours, hard physical work.

"Positive Experience"

Pros

The customers, employees and beautiful environment.

Cons

The work schedule is such that there are no regular days off.

Advice to Management

To allow for employees to have at least two scheduled days off a week for personal and family time.