Molina Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Molina Healthcare Reviews

Updated April 27, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Molina Healthcare Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Molina Healthcare of California J. Mario Molina
J. Mario Molina

Pros
  • Well established company and good benefits (in 44 reviews)

• Great pay, great work life balance, great environment (in 20 reviews)

Cons

1. "Hostile Work Environment/Control Issues with the Upper Management"

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I first came to Molina, the work/office environment was relaxed and pretty much easy going. We had flex time and for some time, we were able to work from home. We were trusted to be productive and we were.

Cons

Unfortunately, we have had to move several times to severe pest/vermin issues in our original building. It has become apparent that our upper management is concerned more with our method of dress, what we say and do because it will reflect poorly on them if we don't adhere to the current demands of what they think the dress code is (even though it is spelled out in the employee handbook), flex time/working remote has been stopped (because the AVP doesn't believe in it) and an office arrival/exit time has now been announced.

There was meeting held recently where our AVP made it clear that she didn't want to go back to our old building. She doesn't like her office there and really wants to be located in the World Trade Center. She told us that she wants to dress and act a way that will make her look good so she can "aspire" her way to a new office. So it has been made clear with the other changes/rules that obviously looks and actions are much more important that work productivity. These recent actions have created a hostile work environment for many of us.

Advice to Management

There is obviously a control issue with the AVP in our Group. The other Directors just go along because the AVP exhibits passive aggressive behavior. Many do not speak up because they fear retribution. The behavior of one of the managers borders on bullying of employees on the floor regarding work production. He can be heard belittling the employees on the floor where everyone can hear him. The AVP/Directors can all hear him and they think its amusing and joke about it. So in essence, his behavior is encouraged since no one in upper management will talk to him. Its a terrible environment to work in.

Its too bad that Molina and the Human Resources Department allows this type of situation to exist. Unfortunately, what many employees will learn is that Human Resources here at Molina is NOT and employee advocate. They are a Molina advocate.

2. "Corporate partners are great, it's the health plans that need to replace management."

Former Employee - Claims Supervisor in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Supervisor in Long Beach, CA

Pros

Great mission, good benefits, flexible hours, positive training, support from corporate

Cons

No accountability, many complacent employees, no management support to address issues.

Advice to Management

Do what you preach, lots of training but no follow through on dealing with employees that clearly don't belong at the company.

Apr 21, 2017 – Supervisor - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback and for the time that you spent with us. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed the many perks offered to employees and the mission here at Molina. While we make every ... More

"support position"

Former Employee - Administrative
    Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

nice co-workers and free parking. location is close to major highways.

Cons

management is mostly clinicians, not business professionals. constantly changing priorities. rampant nepotism. for all intensive purposes, H,R. for employees is non-existent.

Advice to Management

hire management that has real-world experience and training in the business world, not doctors and nurses who can't manage their way out of a paper bag.

"Paid The Bills"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned patience and how to find value within myself.

Cons

Horrible management, unorganized, no value in team work or employee engagement, no training, and a sweatshop environment.

Advice to Management

Be more selective with the leadership you decide to hire. They determine the plan's fate. Get organized and become more engaged with your employees.

Apr 7, 2017 – Supervisor - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review. Increasing engagement is a focus for us and within the past year we have significantly increased the number of avenues employees have to provide feedback and connect. If ... More

"Claim Examiner"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits package (PTO, VTO,Paid Maternity leave, Heath insurance)
    Decent Building
    Free Parking
    Free Coffee and Tea
    Hmmm...running out of good things to say

Cons

With all the great benefits that Molina offers, why would any employee be unsatisfied? Well, the management for starters could use a lot of work. Lackluster trainings, unrealistic production standards (can only be met if key steps are missed), managment worries about themselves instead of employees, supervisors micromanage (but not working themselves). There have been so much turnover, and I am sure the reasons are what I have listed, or more. Management expects you to do overtime on the weekends although you have a family at home,which was not stated during hire.

Advice to Management

Stop expecting UNREALISTIC production, while you continue to be inconsistent with rules. You are going to constantly loose employees, and waste money trying to hire new ones, you should fix the problems that are within the company first.

Apr 6, 2017 – Supervisor - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback and for the time that you spent with us. We're glad that you were so pleased with the benefits offered, and understand that you feel there are areas of opportunity. While ... More

"okay place"

Pros

room to grown within the company

Cons

shifts constantly keeps changing, unprofessional

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, work from home, some good employees that work there. Those are the only pros that I can think of

Cons

Favoritism from leadership, long work hours without being acknowledged. The good employees that are Salary work long hours and weekends while friends of leadership work their 40 hours a week and still get promoted

Advice to Management

Recognize employees that work hard and stop putting people in high level jobs because they are friends or friends with the owners. It's no surprise that the company is falling in stock prices around the time a large group of corporate upper management hired all of their friends that don't have the experience to be in those leadership roles.

Apr 24, 2017 – Supervisor - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. While we understand that you feel your hard work during your time with us went unnoticed, we hope you know just how much we appreciate your efforts ... More

"Experience 3 years supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor Case Management in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Supervisor Case Management in Columbus, OH

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture change they are trying to create is desperately needed in Ohio. Not all leadership is on board with the change but hopefully they will shake those folks lose. Not competitive, not challenging like other organizations. You keep your mouth shut agree with everything you can collect a check and do very little!

Cons

Busy work , but the organization doesn't look at focusing on the 20% that gives 80% return. 83% of the staff who took the last employee engagement survey had a tenure of <3 years. 18 % staff turnover and 24% leadership turnover in a year that 6 or 7 times other organizations!

Advice to Management

Stop the girls club and the gossiping. Mean girl behavior is rampant with folks who have survived > 3 years. Anyone doing these things should not be encouraged and supported by leaders. However, it's encouraged.

"Director Marketing and Government Advocacy"

Current Employee - Director, Marketing and Government Advocacy in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Director, Marketing and Government Advocacy in Troy, MI

I have been working at Molina Healthcare (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gives back to the community and to underserved populations. Strong employee volunteer program for statewide offices. Talent and recruitment department has a strong hiring strategy

Cons

Poor management, lack of resources, no work life balance, upper management leadership style not conducive to achieving corporate goals. Overall work environment is comfortable.

Advice to Management

Hire adequate staff and engage employees. Roll out management and leadership training educational training. Deploy senior leadership team engagement program to gain better outcomes and to achieve goals. Set reasonable corporate bonus goals.

Apr 21, 2017 – Supervisor - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We're so happy that you have noticed our talent acquisition team's efforts in a strong hiring strategy, and can tell you that increasing training programs for employees ... More

11. "Focus on members...at expense of employees"

Pros

Education reimbursement (with limits)
    Decent salary
    Great jobs for workaholics
    The focus is on the member, true to the origin of the company, however the focus on the employees lacks much to be desired.

Cons

Inefficient processes
    Benefits ok...for employees, but not their family
    Work life balance is a misnomer, unless work is your life
    Too much is being returned to corporate in California making the processes less efficient and more difficult to manage.

Advice to Management

Liking to members is great but take care of your employees and especially. It will promote longer tenure, more pride and more individual ownership in the stakes of the company.