Molina Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Molina Healthcare Reviews

Updated April 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Well established company and good benefits (in 44 reviews)

• Great pay, great work life balance, great environment (in 20 reviews)

Cons

"Steer Clear - Not worth the hassle"

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Trenton, NJ

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people were nice, but other than that I really can't think of any Pros to working there

Cons

So Many Problems

I worked at Molina for only a short time, but during that time the bad outweighed the good.

I was deceived from the start. My position was misrepresented. It was posted on their website as an Instructional Designer position. When I interviewed, I was led to believe that I would have some instructional design with the role, but it was going to be more Classroom Facilitation - okay fine. After I start, I'm told that the role is 100% Classroom facilitation with little need for any kind of design work.

My supervisor was not effective at all. Prior to my start date, I didn't receive a phone call explaining the basics (what time to arrive, where to park, etc) until I sent an email the Friday before I was to start. Once I did start, my supervisor had no onboarding plan past week 2, and even the first two weeks was simply "complete training." I spent several weeks sitting at my desk, with no other instruction than "learn the system." During my 2nd 1:1 with my manager (which happened after 1 month of employment), I voiced my concerns. I also discussed how I had taken some initiative to review the existing eLearning content and how i had ideas to improve them. After spending 15 minutes going over this, my supervisor then takes control of the conversation by ignoring the previous 15 minutes and spends the remainder of the hour talking about how I am to focus on getting ready for classroom delivery.

I had no HR interaction. I had no idea who the HR person was until it came time to conduct my Exit Interview.

Quite frequently I would hear people complaining about the overall culture. How the company took it's "We're a company of nickels" concept literally and wouldn't invest in technology (evidenced by the fact that I had been given 8 year old eLearning software and you were not allowed to update to the newest version of Google Chrome on your computer).

The company also had a very outdated definition of "Business Casual" dress. In today's corporate world, "Business Casual" dress codes include jeans and sneakers. Molina operates with the old definition of "Business Casual" where you don't have to wear a tie or a jacket.

I should have realized this job wasn't what it was going to be when I had people coming up to me on a regular basis commenting that they were happy I hadn't quit... apparently, the position had been a revolving door, and I can understand why.

Advice to Management

Look at your job titles and hire them appropriately. Advertising a Classroom Facilitator role as an Instructional Designer is not going to get you what you want, because very rarely do Designer's want to take the step backwards with their careers.

Look at the people you have managing teams... In my short time there it was very obvious that the wrong people were in leadership roles.

Develop onboarding plans for your new employees.

Make sure the employees get facetime with the executive team as well as know who their HR people are.

Corporate actually needs to come out to the site and see how they are not living up to the corporate values.

2. "manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great teamwork, good leadership and direction

Cons

need more challenges, long term benefits

"Blah"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company benefits wish i coulf just transfer

Cons

To much micromanage not enough focusing on thebwork it self

Advice to Management

Dont micromanage

"IT Supervisor"

Current Employee - Telephony Convergence Engineer in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Telephony Convergence Engineer in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Molina Healthcare (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries
    Good mission
    Cutting edge technology
    The number of women in IT management roles

Cons

Salaries are very good. Some nice people. I like there mission.

Advice to Management

Fire the small minded people that can't Molina to the next level.

6. "Resistant to Change"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An OK place to work if you are happy in a highly structured environment, where your job is defined by established processes and procedures.

Cons

If you are responsible for establishing change in the organization, you will likely find the culture to be challenging and non-supportive.

Advice to Management

New ideas with which you are unfamiliar can be difficult. Trust your Subject Matter Experts to lend their expertise and guidance, and the right decisions will reveal themselves. Listen without prejudice to get the best from your people. Give respect to employees, and you will receive it in return -- handing out cookies to employees is not an indication of management respect.

7. "Managed Care Analyst"

Former Employee - Managed Care Analyst in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Managed Care Analyst in Trenton, NJ

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quality Work Good Directions by Employer

Cons

no comment on down size of company

Advice to Management

Care about employees

"Can be difficult to advance"

Current Employee - Supervisor Case Management in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Supervisor Case Management in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Molina has lots of opportunities to expand and grow. Molina is always growing and expanding nationally. The company was founded on the principals of helping those in need.

Cons

Unfortunately, it is usually about who you know and senior leadership makes plans for employees that do not always correlate with the employees career goals. Senior leadership will stop promotions or transfers to other departments if you are really needed where you are, however, if you become a "problem" they will help you get promoted out of a team. Very counter intuitive.
    Sometimes management that is hired from another company will begin filing ALL of their positions with former employees of the company they came from, regardless of qualified Molina applicants.

Advice to Management

Personal feelings of favoritism or prejudice need to be left at home. Build a management staff that has shown they can rise above this, it starts with the Plan President.
    Promoting from within should be a priority.

9. "Growth and advancement"

Current Employee - Senior HIPAA Program Analyst in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Senior HIPAA Program Analyst in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall Molina is a good company to work for. The CEO, Dr. Molina is an amazing example of a Leader, who is transparent and embodies the Company's values and mission.

Cons

Lack of opportunities for growth and advancement within existing departments. If you want to grow there is a lot of moving around to different departments. This can lead to always starting over for team building, team unity and developing subject matters. The constant movement also opens up departments for a loss of expertise to the previous team where the support is no longer there for continued alignment with policies and processes. Meaning, always re-training, risks, GAPS, etc...

Advice to Management

Lack of opportunities for growth and advancement.

10. "Great company"

Current Employee - Director in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time

Pros

Growth; Pay; lots of potential for company to innovate

Cons

Politics and lot of red tape ; behind innovation

Advice to Management

Cut down the PMO... too much fat that you are wasting

"Run away from this place asap"

Former Employee - Clinical Facilitator in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Facilitator in Long Beach, CA

Pros

Pay and benifits are good

Cons

Human Resources is a joke will terminate you without reason. Quality management team is horrendous a

Advice to Management

There is no management