Momentive Performance Materials Reviews in Albany, NY | Glassdoor

Albany, NY Area

3.8
Jack Boss

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance; good exposure across regions; great team work (in 10 reviews)

• Lots of great people working here, real community feel (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I often times had the same workload as full-time employees and a larger workload that (in 3 reviews)

• Private Equity (Apollo) ownership (cash not profits b/c profits (in 3 reviews)

1. "Niche player in the chemicals industry"

Former Intern - Intern Marketing in Waterford, NY
    Former Intern - Intern Marketing in Waterford, NY

I worked at Momentive Performance Materials as an intern

Pros

Great Work Life Balance
    Supportive People
    People passionate about Momentive and its products
    Intelligent R&D staff

Cons

Salary not too high
    Not the best office locations

2. "Great Internship Experience"

Former Intern - R&D in Waterford, NY
    Former Intern - R&D in Waterford, NY

I worked at Momentive Performance Materials as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

MPM is continuing to grow their internship program. Really care about the intern's experience. Hold weekly lunch and learns for all interns to show the wider workings of the plant as a whole, not just an intern's area of research for the summer.

Cons

Hiring process was a little messy and there were discrepancies from intern to intern. Some had on sight while others only had phone. Minor complaint really.

Advice to Management

Continuing to grow the program! It would be very helpful to have more professional development seminars as well

3. "Good experienc working at Momentive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at Momentive Performance Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Global business with lots of potential for growth. Diverse customer base. Colleagues are very knowledgeable in their fields.

Cons

Private equity ownership makes it hard to understand what direction the company will take in the future.

Advice to Management

Continue the communication with your teams.. Celebrate the wins.

4. "For people seeking a bright career opportunity, MPM has tremendous promise!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterford, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterford, NY

I have been working at Momentive Performance Materials full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Momentive has a very bright future outlook. The company's leadership is committed to growing the company and supporting initiatives that will make MPM more globally competitive. More than anywhere I've seen, there is tremendous growth opportunity for employees who are ambitious and committed to this company's success.

Cons

As MPM transforms into a modern, 21st century, globally competitive business, much anxiety exists within the hourly and exempt labor force and necessary change creates a sometimes uncomfortable working environment.

Advice to Management

Stay on course with growth objectives and focus on the implementation of modern, 21st century manufacturing tenets, in order to position the company as a global competitor for years to come.

5. "Currently on strike"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Waterford, NY
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Waterford, NY

I have been working at Momentive Performance Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've had a very rewarding 30+ year career at GE/ Momentive, it enabled me to live a lifestyle I wouldn't of otherwise had. I have always been treated with respect and have always been supported in my job. The engineers and leaders are supportive and friendly and they have always valued my opines and advice. Many of them have been turned into friends. They do take safety very seriously and in all my years have never been asked to do anything unsafe or questioned my opinion on the safety of any issue. I have worked with many of the people in management from when they started in the plant and have always had great relationships with them.

Cons

The shift work is tough, but it is my choice to work it and never really minded it. Working around hazardous chemicals is also my choice to do, I knew it from when I started. I guess the downside is the strike, I have always taken pride in what I do and just pray for this strike to get settled so I can go back to what I have enjoyed doing for so many years. I would recommend working here to anyone.

Advice to Management

Please find some way for this strike to be resolved, there are a lot of dedicated employees who want to have this settled and return to work. There has to be common ground somewhere.

"MRO warehouse Lead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mechanicville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mechanicville, NY

I worked at Momentive Performance Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Structure, standards and good teams. Most internal plant customers were great to work with. Safety is huge.

Cons

The unfortunate inability to predict downsizing. Unable to modify your office space independently and the time it took for work orders to be accomplished at times.

7. "Lead Control Operator"

Current Employee - Lead Control Operator in Waterford, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Control Operator in Waterford, NY

Pros

good pay
    management is safety conscious

Cons

top heavy management...
    leaders don't really understand how all their systems are suppose to progress through the day

Advice to Management

be a leader, not a friend to the operators you worked with as operators

8. "Awful Company- can care less about employees"

Former Employee - Chemical Process Operator in Waterford, NY
    Former Employee - Chemical Process Operator in Waterford, NY

I worked at Momentive Performance Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can get benefits and decent pay, but that is only if you are willing to work a swing rotating shift (1st, 2nd, 3rd) that changes every 5-7 days that absolutely kills your body and family life. But f you are single, have at it.

Cons

The company can care less about you, your family, your health (most get some form of cancer before or right after they retire), your safety and like to take from your earned benefits year after year. You will work with hazardous chemicals day in and day out and the company doesn't care, when you simply ask for a vent for formaldehyde vapors they say it will cost too much or ignore you (just one of many examples).

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter, you never listen to peoples concerns, nor do you care. You always spin everything to where it is the employees fault. That is why there are 700 employees on strike currently.

9. "Excellent Experience"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Waterford, NY
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Waterford, NY

I worked at Momentive Performance Materials as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Momentive allowed me to experience what everyday life would be like for a production engineer.

Cons

The summer is a very busy time for this plant and the area I was working in was undergoing several staffing changes which would have been troubling had I not had previous experience with the company.

Advice to Management

I believe management did an excellent job filling my specific needs.

"In turmoil"

Current Employee - Senior Technology Manager in Waterford, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Manager in Waterford, NY

Pros

Great coworkers! hardworking, team players... intelligent and open to new ideas and ways of doing things.

Business willing to invest it plant and equipment resources.

Business is keenly focused on employee safety.

Cons

Suffering from years of chronic underinvestment by previous owners. Much talk from current leadership of investing in profitable business segments but little action to properly staff marketing and technology functions to achieve robust long term growth in profitable business units.

Advice to Management

The stated strategy is not coherent with the recent actions to reduce cost. Take a hard look at current staffing/resourcing in your key growth businesses... Recent workforce reductions have significantly harmed the ability to grow highly profitable business units. The chronic under staffing will lead to further loss of talent and an inability to attract new talent, limiting the ability to achieve long term growth.