Momentive Performance Materials Reviews in Albany, NY | Glassdoor

Albany, NY Area

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jack Boss

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance; good exposure across regions; great team work (in 6 reviews)

• Lots of great people working here, real community feel (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I often times had the same workload as full-time employees and a larger workload that (in 3 reviews)

• Commercial team is lazy and wont do their job of finding new and potential markets and gets upset when innovative ideas are brought up (in 2 reviews)

1. "Currently on strike"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Waterford, NY
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Waterford, NY

I have been working at Momentive Performance Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've had a very rewarding 30+ year career at GE/ Momentive, it enabled me to live a lifestyle I wouldn't of otherwise had. I have always been treated with respect and have always been supported in my job. The engineers and leaders are supportive and friendly and they have always valued my opines and advice. Many of them have been turned into friends. They do take safety very seriously and in all my years have never been asked to do anything unsafe or questioned my opinion on the safety of any issue. I have worked with many of the people in management from when they started in the plant and have always had great relationships with them.

Cons

The shift work is tough, but it is my choice to work it and never really minded it. Working around hazardous chemicals is also my choice to do, I knew it from when I started. I guess the downside is the strike, I have always taken pride in what I do and just pray for this strike to get settled so I can go back to what I have enjoyed doing for so many years. I would recommend working here to anyone.

Advice to Management

Please find some way for this strike to be resolved, there are a lot of dedicated employees who want to have this settled and return to work. There has to be common ground somewhere.

"MRO warehouse Lead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mechanicville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mechanicville, NY

I worked at Momentive Performance Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Structure, standards and good teams. Most internal plant customers were great to work with. Safety is huge.

Cons

The unfortunate inability to predict downsizing. Unable to modify your office space independently and the time it took for work orders to be accomplished at times.

3. "Lead Control Operator"

Current Employee - Lead Control Operator in Waterford, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Control Operator in Waterford, NY

Pros

good pay
    management is safety conscious

Cons

top heavy management...
    leaders don't really understand how all their systems are suppose to progress through the day

Advice to Management

be a leader, not a friend to the operators you worked with as operators

5. "Awful Company- can care less about employees"

Former Employee - Chemical Process Operator in Waterford, NY
    Former Employee - Chemical Process Operator in Waterford, NY

I worked at Momentive Performance Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can get benefits and decent pay, but that is only if you are willing to work a swing rotating shift (1st, 2nd, 3rd) that changes every 5-7 days that absolutely kills your body and family life. But f you are single, have at it.

Cons

The company can care less about you, your family, your health (most get some form of cancer before or right after they retire), your safety and like to take from your earned benefits year after year. You will work with hazardous chemicals day in and day out and the company doesn't care, when you simply ask for a vent for formaldehyde vapors they say it will cost too much or ignore you (just one of many examples).

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter, you never listen to peoples concerns, nor do you care. You always spin everything to where it is the employees fault. That is why there are 700 employees on strike currently.

6. "Excellent Experience"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Waterford, NY
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Waterford, NY

I worked at Momentive Performance Materials as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Momentive allowed me to experience what everyday life would be like for a production engineer.

Cons

The summer is a very busy time for this plant and the area I was working in was undergoing several staffing changes which would have been troubling had I not had previous experience with the company.

Advice to Management

I believe management did an excellent job filling my specific needs.

"In turmoil"

Current Employee - Senior Technology Manager in Waterford, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Manager in Waterford, NY

Pros

Great coworkers! hardworking, team players... intelligent and open to new ideas and ways of doing things.

Business willing to invest it plant and equipment resources.

Business is keenly focused on employee safety.

Cons

Suffering from years of chronic underinvestment by previous owners. Much talk from current leadership of investing in profitable business segments but little action to properly staff marketing and technology functions to achieve robust long term growth in profitable business units.

Advice to Management

The stated strategy is not coherent with the recent actions to reduce cost. Take a hard look at current staffing/resourcing in your key growth businesses... Recent workforce reductions have significantly harmed the ability to grow highly profitable business units. The chronic under staffing will lead to further loss of talent and an inability to attract new talent, limiting the ability to achieve long term growth.

8. "Summer Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Waterford, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in Waterford, NY

I worked at Momentive Performance Materials as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of great people working here, real community feel.

Cons

Most of the infrastructure is old, but still functional.

9. "Holding the hand of a dying loved one!"

Current Employee - Chemical Operator in Waterford, NY
    Current Employee - Chemical Operator in Waterford, NY

I have been working at Momentive Performance Materials full-time

Pros

Great Business...makes more money by accident than on purpose. Huge investment dollars dumped into polishing the aging infrastructural. Could certainly be a thriving Business if a major restructuring of management was done.

Cons

GE didn't leave their best and brightest in charge then pull the plug on this Business. The new owners used the management left behind by GE and like a swarm of locust they ate the farmers field all the while blaming the crop failure on the people that grew it. It has become more of a Monarchy than a Business with nepotism insuring that nothing changes. Barely out of Bankruptcy and our debt is again over a billion. Skill sets are ignored with the new management friends and family plan.

Advice to Management

My advice is to the creditors who took this place over...Eradicate the locust and take this plant back. I 'll remind you that we had double digit growth we supervision was lean and self directed skilled production ran the show!

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I worked at Momentive Performance Materials full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Relatively good compensation and Benefits in capital region.

Cons

The company struggled financially for years after it was sold out by GE. There were couple of reorganization during last 5 years, but seems not helpful.

"Excellent Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Data Analysis in Waterford, NY
    Former Intern - Data Analysis in Waterford, NY

I worked at Momentive Performance Materials as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Really good exposure to actual global projects. Very experienced and highly qualified scientists to learn from. Pay for internship higher than regional average. Work was enjoyable and never burdensome. Vast line of products which means lesser risk in the market with more customers.

Cons

Location was not the best and the building was really really old. Need renovation badly. Certain teams were too late to begin working on high priority project. Realized only when the deadline was weeks away!