Momentum Digital Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Michael J. Aniballi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great people. Loads of talent. Lot's of politics."

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Momentum Digital Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People. Good collaboration. Loads of Talent.

Cons

Poor project management and internal politics.

Advice to Management

Invest in the people.

"It appears the upswing is here!"

Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Momentum Digital Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Through the fumbling of the last leadership transition, our team on the floor and sales group has done a great job to maintain strong relationships with some great partners, marquee clients and it is paying off - we continue to grow with some new and interesting clients. There really are some good people on the floor to work with - smart and motivated.

The parent company, OnX, is a piece that is starting to shake-out as well with more involvement, direction and a new leader to oversee all the digital business. It appears the transformation we have been hearing about on the OnX side for while, is coming our way big way. Bring it!

We feel the upswing. Opportunities are already coming to work with new technologies, more North American clients and lot's of great ecommerce work if you are into that.

Cons

We are still transforming, so the path isn't completely clear and I expect more change to come which is always a bit of a challenge.

I get the feeling a number of us may be "outsourced" soon, but who knows.

There has been an inability or caring to staff properly for projects (number of resources and right skills). The executive seems to think that they can expect Herculean / miraculous efforts from the floor to compensate, but that is just wrong and results in poor deliverables and an overworked, frustrated team. This hasn't been as bad lately...

It doesn't go unnoticed the size of the "Executive VP layer" which doesn't bring much value or relevant experience.

Advice to Management

Read the cons and decide what you want this to be when we grow up.

3. "Getting there! Great project opps!"

I have been working at Momentum Digital Solutions full-time

Pros

Organization with great exposure to large enterprise clients across North American and Europe. Spent the last year re-prioritizing the business and better aligning with appropriate technology partners so that Momentum can operate and deliver smoothly. Great sales team. Great development team.

Cons

Reorganization has caused a few delivery challenges, but looks like we're on our way again.

4. "Too many contracts, No overlap of full-time employees yr to yr"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Located downtown Toronto, can work from home if less than 4yrs of work per day.

Cons

Big projects run by junior people, no weekly check-in with senior people.
    Schedule when there was no work or cancelled a booked week with no notice.

Advice to Management

Don't let junior people run large projects without overseeing them.

"Losing Momentum"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Momentum Digital Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people - although with the overhaul of staff gone, this is becoming less of a Pro. The office is quiet, scarce and the leftovers have lost their energy.

The place is chill, not very serious, you can wear nice threads or show up in sandals. It's almost like agency life, and they try to portray that, but it doesn't work.

If you're starting or in the middle of your career, it's not so bad to get some experience here - just know what you're getting yourself into. Many people have used Momentum as a stepping stone to furthering their careers and salaries.

The work is decent, but Momentum doesn't do anything cutting edge.

Cons

Easily the biggest con is the management at all levels. Management bleeds ego. These new kids on the block exude little to no confidence that they are good leaders and can inspire a reversal of fortune for the company.

There is ZERO room for advancement. There is ZERO communication, except for the bi-weekly lies of how amazing the company is. It doesn't help that Momentum is extremely top-heavy with well over 10+ directors and VPs yet only 40+ employees.

Advice to Management

Don't patronize us by telling us things you think we want to hear. Start talking with your staff - like actual communication. Don't just be a ghost that comes out of their meeting room-turned-office to make an appearance once in a while.

Hire smart, experienced people with leadership skills who actually know and understand technology and its current landscapes and trends.

We get it, you inherited a company that lost its biggest client and it sucks. And you had to lay off a whole bunch of people, and that's just business.

But your biggest failure was the inability to keep the good people that would/could have stayed around. Now you're running on fumes, and the health of the company hinges on the key people left - the real hard workers of the company keeping you afloat. And if you're not careful, and you take those employees for granted too, soon there will be nothing left.

Momentum Digital Solutions Response

Aug 3, 2016 – Office Manager

Dear “Losing Momentum” as always thanks for sharing your thoughts, your feedback is important to us and your review was well formulated and well written. As a current employee this is a critical... More

6. "Not as terrible as most of the reviews state"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Momentum Digital Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who become your team generally have your back. You can develop real friendships there. Some of the executive management (not all) are extremely friendly and genuine and show real interest in their colleagues. Health benefits are better than others (really ask for details before signing), location is great, flexible work hours (can work from home if you need to). In the same building as a Women's only GoodLife and tasty sushi place! 3 weeks vacation is standard here, paid cell phone expenses depending on role. The new management made a few mistakes in the beginning but I can't imagine they'd join a sinking ship - so you have to trust that they are trying to steer the company in the right direction. The biggest error in my opinion was to make decisions without fully understanding the repercussions and the procedural responsibility to Onx and ignoring the advice of staff who did. This resulted in back pedaling decisions and the loss of trust from staff in the know and loss of credibility to the staff not in the know but who saw the effects. I left the company of my own volition for a better opportunity elsewhere after the massive layoffs. I am still on good terms with my former clients and colleagues.

Cons

In almost 20 years in the industry this was one of the most stressful places to work. My work-life balance was horrendous mainly due to simply not having qualified people who took accountability for their jobs. The end result was that a couple of cross-trained, dedicated people would end up doing the job of multiple people and worked 60-80 hour weeks with no lieu time to compensate. While I am no longer an employee there, I still have many friends who are still there and unfortunately still not great feedback. That being said it's not all horrible. If you choose to work here make sure you negotiate a good contract for you! I worked there for over 3 years and hold no hard feelings for the company.

Advice to Management

Talk with and heed the advice of staff who have been with the company for years. Do recognize where you have people on the floor who are being mismanaged and not utilized to their full potential (see Dev team). TRAIN your staff, especially people you promote from within or who have been at the company for a long time (as they are most likely a bit stale in their knowledge or have grown accustomed to their role and have not evolved). I wish the company lots of success! I truly do! Continue to think of the staff's needs - while not perfect, you do better than a lot of companies. Keep an eye on your receptionist.... I've heard embarrassing stories and she's the first person potential clients interact with.

7. "Happy that I chose Momentum"

I have been working at Momentum Digital Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Momentum has a long list of impressive clients including global brands that will challenge and grow the skill sets of every member of the team. The company is reinventing its culture in many ways, and offers the chance to make an impact on what that looks like to anyone motivated in doing so. From the top down, the employees that make up the company are amazing. Great at their jobs and all around good, friendly people to be around. Overall, I'm excited at what Momentum offers by way of career growth and the opportunity to work on amazing projects. Work-life balance is better than most in the industry. Location of the office is central to the downtown core which is great for public transit and nearby amenities.

Cons

At the time of writing this review, the company is coming out of a harsh time of transition. While trending in the right direction (faster than I expected), there are still some wounds to be mended. Understandable and something to be sensitive to.

Advice to Management

Love the company meetings that address real facts and figures. I have never worked in an environment with such transparency and open dialogue about the plans and direction of the company. Those kinds of efforts are motivating and inspire trust. I feel comfortable talking with any member of the management team, and confident I will be listened to and welcomed to the conversation.

"Poorly managed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Momentum Digital Solutions (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and colleagues were the only plus about the company

Cons

Poor senior management. No vision for what the company should/could be which leaves the bilk of employees to provide the bare minimum while motivated staff whither on the vine

Momentum Digital Solutions Response

Jul 8, 2016 – Office Manager

Dear Former Employee – thank you for your feedback it is greatly appreciated. We are glad to hear you liked your colleagues and we agree that our people are our most valuable asset. Momentum has a... More

"Momemtum is building MOMENTUM!!"

Pros

Management team has re-energized the office and its now exciting to come into the office and work on such great client work. Sure its challenging and demanding work but its worth the effort. Also starting to see the growth potential in the company with lots of new projects coming down the pipe. Woot woot!!!!

Cons

Still have some process issues to resolve but everyone is working hard to get on top of these and to move us forward.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Things are looking great.

"Right Time Right Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

This company has had a very volatile history in the past 5 years mostly due to mismanagement from senior level executives and an inability to understand the actual business they were in. In spite of this the company has grown consistently and recently posted their best revenue and earnings ever. The reason for the sudden turnaround, new management who actually understand the business and what the future of Momentum can look like...and the future is very bright.

A new President was hired in November 2016 and he quickly understood the potential of the company, and the extraordinary work being done by the employees, fortunately he was also a smart operations executive and he realized that the company was very overstaffed, and in the process of losing one of their biggest clients. Instead of delaying the inevitable, he took the dramatic steps to reduce workforce by 40% + and this included some very qualified people for whom there just wasn't enough work. As difficult as this decision was, it led to a successful finish to the year, and substantial support from the usually lacklustre parent company and board of directors. Either way, it worked and the company is on track to post a record setting year in 2017. Almost 80% of clients are in London England and the USA, with limited presence in Canada.

Cons

Transition will take another 3-6 months before it is complete, but if you are looking for a place that values it's employees and gives them free reign to work and you want an approachable management team....this is the place for you.....great clients, lots of fun.

Advice to Management

Stick to what you are doing, smart people will understand it, and smart people will want to work here. Win win for everyone.