Momentum Machines Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 9, 2017

4.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work!"

Former Contractor - Contract Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Contract Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Momentum Machines as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Momentum values their employees as people. They are supportive and willing to provide training to expand team members skill sets even for short time contract workers. Flexible hours, good company culture and a hardworking team. Great lunches and team meals. I enjoyed my time working for them immensely.

Cons

Occasional long hours, noisey shop atmosphere where design stations are located, access to delicious food dangerous to my waistline.

"Most of the Core Team Has Left"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Momentum Machines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hamburgers served at work during testing.

Cons

Management, Organization, Discrimination, Hubris Attitude (from the top)

Advice to Management

Too much to name. A start is getting rid of your ("high level") Tesla scum.

"An amazingly open work culture committed to employee growth"

I have been working at Momentum Machines full-time

Pros

1. Everyone here is incredibly committed to learning, growth and fundamentals (learning and working from first principles).
    2. The team is cross-disciplinary and you have the flexibility to work in and contribute to different areas of the company. Being a small firm makes cross-disciplinary work not only easy, but also critical to the organization's growth. If you like strong, supportive teams to work with, this is one of the best you will find.
    3. Work culture is very progressive and encourages healthy expression of thoughts and emotions. Simply put, everyone here cares about each other's emotional well-being, in addition to professional growth. It is very difficult to find this kind of culture in companies. People are dedicated to developing this kind of culture and proactively working towards sustaining it.
    4. Being small in size, you form close friendships with co-workers and radically trust your teammates.

Cons

1. No fancy perks: small office/workspace, no cafeteria (but you may get free ridiculously delicious burgers for life), not-so-gentrified part of Howard Street.
    2. We are a startup trying to make it big; salaries are not mind-blowing like everywhere else in the bay area; but the work makes it totally worth it (for me).
    3. There can be time-consuming, stressful sprints when you work a lot more than normal hours.

Advice to Management

Love this culture! Continue to sustain and enrich it. Keep doing what you are doing; you people are amazing!

"A little like a busy family"

Current Employee - Untitled in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Untitled in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Everyone here does a great job of supporting each other and driving each teammate to better themselves. Questions are highly encouraged and learning happens on a daily basis. Everyone is very dedicated to the cause and actually believes in their work. Lots of fun stuff going on too - not so much organized by the company - but people keep suggesting shows to see and places to check out together.

Final Pro: There is a lot of work

Cons

First Con: There is a lot of work. It's idealistic work and engineering driven from the soul, but there is still a lot to do, sometimes it feels like it.

Advice to Management

Never settle for what companies "should" be. Never settle for what everyone expects. Keep pushing on robotics and engineering, but also keep pushing to become better people and a better organization.

"A hungry team that's just getting started"

I have been working at Momentum Machines full-time

Pros

Small (~16-ish people) but very capable team of engineers with only a few non-technical members. Everyone here can make a huge difference to our future.

Amazing technology with many patents pending ... the tech is real and coming together nicely.

Strong esprit de corps -- everyone on the team is aligned and driving together towards launch and beyond.

Cons

None of the fancy stuff that larger companies have: swag, cafeterias, massage rooms, aeron chairs, etc. I think it's great that we keep our burn low, but people who want the fancy stuff should look elsewhere.

Immature systems and processes. We're a startup that hasn't had time to figure a lot of stuff out yet.

No revenue yet. More risk than an established company.

Advice to Management

You're doing the right stuff so far. Keep making good decisions.