Momentum for Mental Health Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Momentum for Mental Health CEO David K. Mineta
David K. Mineta
  1. Featured Review

"Great Opportunities at Momentum for Mental Health"

I have been working at Momentum for Mental Health full-time

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, important and meaningful work, great team atmosphere!

Cons

Funding is never enough to support the great work that Momentum does!

Momentum for Mental Health2018-12-06

January 16, 2019Human Resources Director

Thank you for the very positive review. We're constantly working on finding and expanding the funding for the vital work you and your colleagues do for our clients with severe and persistent mental illness.

2. "Great Non-profit Organization"

Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at Momentum for Mental Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoy working here. Working environment is very supportive and friendly which makes being at work and doing my job so much easier. The company offers great benefits as well, generous PTO and 401K match.

Cons

Too many reporting units at many different locations can be challenging and overwhelming for newcomers.

Momentum for Mental Health2019-05-30
  3. "Middle management like the Catholic Church"

Former Employee - Crisis Residential Specialist in San Jose, CA

I worked at Momentum for Mental Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers are great. Close knit teams. Client interactions are rewarding, and you learn an incredible amount. Almost unlimited county linked training if it's relevant to your role. Excellent benefits and the best pay for this field in this area. Unionized positions for direct care staff.

Cons

No formal qualifications for managers. Some of middle managers don't understand basic concepts like: don't micromanage, inspire enthusiasm in your employees, respect your employees intelligence/experience/qualifications, don't deliberately and obviously favor certain employees and hold others to unrealistic and contradictory standards. Don't create environments that feel so hostile employees choose to leave. ...

Advice to Management

Train your managers to be managers - not just somebody who you've groomed into a "yes man". Treat your employees with the same dignity & respect you expect your employees to treat the clients. MMH receives state & federal funding, and it's hypocritical for a behavioral health non profit to act this way. An employee shouldn't have to use their benefits to deal with the effects of the job because it's made...

Momentum for Mental Health2019-05-25

June 4, 2019Human Resources Director

This former employee did complain to management about her supervisor, and those concerns were promptly investigated and responded to. The claim that Momentum is "like the Catholic Church" in some way in terms of not listening to or responding to an employee's concerns is a strange ...

4. "Job title all that i apply"

Former Employee - Program Director/Physical Therapist in San Jose, CA

I worked at Momentum for Mental Health part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working as a doctor at momentum help me gain the skills i need to get by applying it everyday. I gain confidence now i enjoy my life more with the friends at momentum

Cons

Professionally i would like to go beyond case mangement as a mentor. I take my time, patients, and attention to work with our clients. i have to share cases with other doctors because i cant get to all of them.

Advice to Management

My advice is to listen to the people who are involved with momentum and talk to each other about not only ourselves but patients about our service we do at momentum and continue to with new people socially.

Momentum for Mental Health2019-03-25
  5. "Momentum is and employer of choice"

Current Employee - Residential Program Director in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Momentum for Mental Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Momentum has been a great place to learn and grow as both a clinician and a manager. The salaries are competitive and the culture is positive. There is much opportunity to promote with hard work and dedication.

Cons

I don't really have any cons to offer. Helping individuals is hard work and self care is essential.

Advice to Management

Continue to be the caretakers of culture.

Momentum for Mental Health2019-03-12
  6. "Excellent Agency to work for."

Current Employee - Associate Director & Administrator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Momentum for Mental Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Dedicated to improving the lives of people with Mental Health issues; supporting them to be productive members of society & ensuring they receive the treatment needed to achieve that.

Cons

Situated in Silicone Valley which makes it difficult for staff due to high cost of living.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - sharing the success stories so others know what they can achieve.

Momentum for Mental Health2019-01-16
  7. "Employer of Choice - always seeking to learn, improve and be better."

I have been working at Momentum for Mental Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At the heart of Momentum are passionate people that deeply care for the individuals served. Helping others reach their full potential in spite of challenges that life has handed them is rewarding on so many levels. Momentum offers the opportunity to expand skills in a diverse environment, step out of individual comfort zones, grow through leadership opportunities, all while making a real positive change.

Cons

Commute in the Bay area is grueling - but this is felt by any business in Silicon Valley.

Momentum for Mental Health2019-01-17
  8. "Crisis Residential Program Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Crisis Residential Program Assistant Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Momentum for Mental Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Supportive peers and supervisors. Room for growth with promotions. Put clients' care above cost. Great healthcare and vacation package. Great starting out pay.

Cons

Union sometimes cause division between line staff and management.

Advice to Management

Great job! Continue to support those who work underneath you! Continue to support the clients you serve! Continue to be there for one another!

Momentum for Mental Health2018-08-15

January 7, 2019Human Resources Director

Thank you for the thoughtful review, and for your advice. We are working hard to maintain our position as an Employer of Choice in our field. All the best in the next phase of your career!

9. "Fast paced/lots of experience/flexible!"

Current Employee - Community Services Specialist in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great team who truly care about their clients Benefits Big agency Very flexible You gain tons of experience in the mental health field Always something knew Team meetings Supervision every week

Cons

Not a lot of money (non-profit) You have to ask many people a question before getting an answer Working with extreme mental illness Training needs improvement

Advice to Management

Keep your employees happy. This work is a lot and can cause burnout.

Momentum for Mental Health2018-08-01

January 16, 2019Human Resources Director

Thank you for the important feedback. We are working on an Employer of Choice initiative that is aimed first and foremost at helping to counter burnout. We have also greatly beefed up the training opportunities and resources this year, thanks to feedback like yours. Remember we have ...

10. "Great Agency!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Momentum for Mental Health full-time

Pros

- Options for growth into a variety of career paths - Dedicated staff/team to providing effective services to clients/community - Agency provides multiple levels of care to clients of diverse backgrounds - Good benefits/compensation for employees for a non-profit company - Multiple program locations offer different candidates options to work at most convenient sites (to avoid commute, etc.) - Very diverse group of...

Cons

- Due to size of the agency, there are occasions when decisions can take a while before it is made/confirmed - Closed Shop (union) can be something that can potentially detract candidates, for those not interested in union shops

Momentum for Mental Health2018-04-12