Monash University Reviews | Glassdoor

Monash University President and Vice-Chancellor Margaret Gardner
Margaret Gardner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Little to no career progression available, or guaranteed job hours (in 8 reviews)

• Conflict between academic staff and senior management (in 5 reviews)

1. "Senior Research Fellow"

Current Employee - Senior Research Fellow in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Fellow in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Monash University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to Melbourne, convenient for life, weather is alright.

Cons

Too hard working, competitive research enviroment in AUS

Advice to Management

NA

2. "Needs improvements in culture"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Clayton (Australia)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Clayton (Australia)

I worked at Monash University as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Easy parking, great campus with lovely nature, can work with interesting people, plenty of opportunities, excellent work life balance, very female friendly

Cons

Culture of bullying, academics can be condesending to support staff, can be stifling, pay is often below market value,

Advice to Management

Need to seriously work on your culture. You say one thing but the reality is the opposite. You need to take bullying claims seriously particularly if they come from a male (in my case it was dismissed and turned around to make me out the bully)

3. "Monash University"

I have been working at Monash University part-time

Pros

Clayton is a nice campus

Cons

Favoritism/Nepotism, No loyalty, Toxic culture in some departments,

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Caulfield South (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Caulfield South (Australia)

Pros

The team environment - talented team members sharing knowledge
    Working in an environment where people are passionate about making a difference
    Access to maternity leave
    Relative Job Security

Cons

Acknowledgement of part-time staff
    The restrictive HEW level system
    Red-tape
    Inefficient management and structures

Advice to Management

Look at succession planning internally
    Address poor performance early
    Reward performing staff
    Trust and delegate to staff as per their experience (empower them)

"Nepotism at its finest"

Former Employee - Research & Teaching in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Research & Teaching in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Monash University full-time

Pros

Good research support. Some good students.

Cons

Promotion is not base on merit especially not for junior level staff. Internal resource allocation is not transparent. PhD scholarship allocation is not based on student merit but base on who the student select as supervisor. In fact, in some departments, PhD scholarships are always assign to the same staffs every year.

Advice to Management

De-power dean and head of school

"Former postdoc"

Former Employee - Researcher Fellow/Postdoctoral Fellow in Melbourne (Australia)

Pros

Melbourne is a nice city, though the Clayton campus is quite a long way from the city centre. I found some of the staff there quite friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

I received little meaningful mentorship. At best, I was left to my own devices and worked on my own projects. I could have achieved as much in any university.

I received little support from senior members of my school - they would not intervene on my behalf in any issues that arose.

When my contract finished, my access to all online services was cut that day. I couldn't even access my final paycheque online, or my email account, though I had been told these would remain accessible for a month.

Advice to Management

Better communication with temporary members of staff should be a priority, as should some semi-formal means of having complaints resolved. The culture in my school was so bad that people worked from home whenever possible, and I was not invited to a single school organised social event in the year that I was there. This should also be improved.

"WORK CULTURE NEEDS TO CHANGE"

Former Employee - Associate Professor in Clayton (Australia)
    Former Employee - Associate Professor in Clayton (Australia)

I worked at Monash University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The University is well resourced and has good, if somewhat faded, resources, including some of the ugliest buildings I have ever seen on a Uni campus. Library and IT are amongst the best in Australia and are well managed. The Uni grounds are good and provide a number of opportunities for walks and exercise.
    The academic culture of the Uni is variable, with some faculties being well managed and with a good work culture, whilst others do not have either.
    Library resources are amongst the best in Australia and IT seems, on the whole to be well managed.
    Students are academically good, but the University engagement with the students is unsatisfactory with poor attendance at lectures due to th difficulty of reaching the 'main' campus at Clayton and an over reliance on the recording of lectures rather than providing incentives for students to attend and thus create a collegiate environment.

Cons

he work culture in some faculties is toxic, with bullying prevalent and a command structure better suited to the Army than a University. The work allocation process is flawed and the management of multi-campus teaching not up to scratch, with the time frames expected of staff traveliing between campuses unreasonable and with a general lack of parking and other facilities provided at the city campuses

Advice to Management

look at Mangement structurees witha mind of creaitng a more collegiate work environment rather than the current `command' structure. look at medium and long term revitalization of the Clayton campus (apparently already underway) and look at ways of improving on the current mechanisms of staff engagement rather than reinforcing failing command structures.

"Backward and policies driven"

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Monash University (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great organisational reputation. Plenty of opportunities to move within the organisation due to it's large workforce.

Offers staff development opportunities.

Fantastic benefits and flexible with work hours.

Cons

Backward approach to HR. Very compliance and process focused.

There is a huge gulf between academic and professional staff, where professional staff are often treated like second class corporate citizens, expected to simply do the work that academics don't want to do.

Extremely hierarchical. Managers have no respect for junior staff. Junior staff are treated like a number rather than a person.

Advice to Management

Give professional support staff more decision making power and show them the respect they deserve.

9. "It would be great - if it were not for the politics"

Current Employee - Administration in Caulfield (Australia)
    Current Employee - Administration in Caulfield (Australia)

Pros

Large University which is ambitious
    Fantastic new Vice-Chancellor (she seems very inspiring to listen to) with a clearly articulated vision.
    Opportunities across many different areas.
    Manageable workloads (compared to corporate).
    Very collegial atmosphere.

Cons

- The politics is incredibly hard to work in, the Faculties operate within isolation of one-another, and it feels like in some instances you are walking into a complete new organisation.
    - There is this battle between central v Faculty which is bourn from the Universities inability to move with change quickly.
    - Senior professional staff manager of Faculties are (in most instances) not entrepreneurial or forward thinking. Most of them have been with the institution for over 10 years and have not had exposure to corporate or other University operations. This is incredibly painful to work in, particularly when you work in a Faculty such as myself, and you can see great efficiency opportunities however its a 'play it the old way' attitude.

Advice to Management

Management needs to make a decision as to whether to move with full centralisation (and allocate authority) or go through fell de-centralisation again. I believe (from a Faculty perspective) it is in the best interest of the University to with full centralisation. The current battle or struggle between central v Faculty is very taxing, as well as the politics.

"Very low loyalty to staff"

Pros

There are many good points about working for Monash. They have a good reputation, they have great resources for researchers to access, IT support is great, the physical working environment is very good.

Cons

There is very little loyalty to staff members. Staff are put on relatively short fixed term contracts, offering no job stability, which is incredibly stressful and makes things like mortgage financing difficult. I was employed with Monash for about 12 years. For this whole duration it was 12 month contracts, and sometimes shorter. That is ridiculous. During my time there, Monash staffing conditions changed dramatically. There were several large rounds of job cuts, with remaining employees carrying a much larger workload as a result. Again, very stressful. They can have written policies about "worklife balance" and programs such as Monash Wellbeing, but it's pointless if staff do not feel safe, secure, valued and are carrying a workload beyond their reasonable capability. By the time I left, so many staff members were completely disillusioned, lacking motivation and enthusiasm to do good work, and in a state of uncertainty about whether to hang in there or look for other work. What a massive shame, because I used to absolutely love working for Monash, and felt so dedicated and committted to the university. By the end, I was seeking counselling from a Monash psychologist, just to help me cope, and she indicated that so many staff she saw were in the same boat and feeling the same as me. That is not a sign of a good, supportive workplace.

Advice to Management

Look after your staff members. Cutting jobs to save money puts massive pressure on remaining staff. Short term contracts offer no sense of loyalty and value to the employee, and put them in a chronically stressful position. Staff morale was at an all time low, by the time I left. I cannot believe the change in staff morale, from when I first started at Monash 12 years ago. Please, look after your staff. You may have policies written on your website to look after staff, you may pump money into "Monash wellbeing", but it means nothing when you show no loyalty to your staff.