Monetate Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Lucinda Duncalfe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to work for those who enjoy fast paced, ever changing environments"

I have been working at Monetate full-time

Pros

Great leadership, growth opportunities, great product, great people

Cons

Things change at a rapid pace

Advice to Management

Make smart decisions based on information from all levels of the organization. You don't always think of all of the repercussions of your decisions if you don't get input form multiple levels.

"changing for the worst"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at Monetate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food at the office, but they are there because the company expect you to work after hours.

Cons

The expect you to work long hours, the requirement are never clear and are constantly changing. At this point of the company, it seems that you better off play the politic game than actually contribute if you want to move up. The are too much favoritism within the company that makes it hard for good talent to be discovered.

Advice to Management

Give reward to the people who actually contribute.

3. "Where will Monetate be in 2018?"

I worked at Monetate full-time

Pros

The perks here were nice such as free catered lunch, company outings and flexible working arrangements.
    They hired many great people and the bad ones that did slip through never lasted long.
    They seemed to have found their true calling working on large personalization programs with the biggest retailers.

Cons

No 401K match.
    Employee and client churn seemed high. Keeping the top 10% employees was a challenge.
    Like many tech companies, Monetate struggled with culture and spent a significant amount of time to address it. Development, support, services and sales employees all were kept too separate from each other in the office and with events.
    Determining if the company is a sales or technology driven company.
    Monetate was run like a startup with a regularly changing company message and company structure. In part, this was because of the marketing technology space but it was also largely self-inflicted.
    Monetate suffered from a problem of past perceptions, much of it stemming from the fact they'd changed messaging so often. Many still viewed them as for testing or an agile CMS, not the personalization hub they aspired to (and should) be.
    The sales team regions never seemed to have equal support. There were sometimes twice yearly sales leadership changes.
    The strategy team was always understaffed with a focus mainly on enabling clients. Clients wanted to know what to do rather than be asked what they want to do.
    The client success team was demoralized by role and title and team changes. They were a great team and undervalued and not given enough freedom to interact as they wanted to with their clients.
    Development was understaffed.
    The marketing technology space was massively crowded with many new and also old and established competitors after Monetate's market share.

Advice to Management

Keep the candor of company meetings and chats with the company board. Lucinda should keep briefing on the books she's reading. The clarity of your mission will determine whether you succeed in this industry. You have amazing employees who desperately want to make success happen.

4. "Great company, great people"

I have been working at Monetate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has high standards for employment which means you get to work with intelligent people who will only add to the great culture. People have each other's backs, feel empowered to share their opinions and feedback, and are active and engaged employees. I genuinely enjoy interacting with my colleagues across all departments, and consider many of them friends. Monetate also offers a flexible work environment and offers many remote positions as part of their initiative to attract the best employees regardless of location. You'll work hard, but you'll love the work and the people.

Cons

This definitely isn't an environment for people who fear change or those who aren't willing to get their hands dirty from time to time. Also not for people who are inclined to "phone it in" or not give 100%. We all work closely together, and it's easy to tell when someone isn't pulling their weight.

Advice to Management

I agree with the other comment about seeking feedback from employees at all levels (especially those in the trenches) before making decisions in order to better understand the pros and cons. Keep up the good work with rigorous hiring practices and the commitment to the company culture.

"Nice & talented people"

Pros

People here are very smart, and they are very nice too. Very flexible working style and environment.

Cons

nothing really bad so far

Monetate Response

Oct 12, 2016 – Sr. Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback, glad to hear things are going well so far!

"From Good To Great."

I have been working at Monetate (More than 3 years)

Pros

Monetate is growing up and playing to win. We still have the ambition and hunger of a young startup, but we also have a meaningful book of business, iconic clients who depend on us, and meaningful scale. We've continued growing, and that growth creates opportunity.

Growing up means many things. It means we're trying to make our successes more repeatable and scalable. It means we're being candid about our failures, so we can learn from them and fix them. It means we're trying to measure our results, so we can't fool ourselves into believing that everything we do is great, just because we want it to be.

Monetate is playing to win, in a way that it didn't used to. We used to pretend that hard work was good enough, simply because it was hard work. We've admitted that hard work is only valuable if the work goes someplace useful.

Management is incredibly transparent and honest. Very few companies are so clear and direct about all matters, whether they're joyous or painful.

Cons

Monetate is not for everyone, and that's FINE.

If you were happy when you got a B in college, Monetate might not be right for you.

If you're happiest when your job is essentially unchanged for years at a time, Monetate might not be right for you.

If you want to be super-specialized on one tiny thing, Monetate might not be right for you.

Advice to Management

Keep increasing the maturity level of the organization. Stay open, honest, and candid.

Pllease make sure that the product team spends time with the services team. We need to work together, and sometimes it seems like product doesn't know what we're seeing in services.

"On a great trajectory"

I have been working at Monetate (More than a year)

Pros

The company has been through a transition from a start-up to a more mature, growing company. Making the transition was challenging for many, but it feels like we're there -- a clear strategy, compelling product roadmap and talented people in all functions working together to create great experiences for the world's leading brands.

Cons

Working through company and market transitions can be disconcerting for people seeking stability and comfort.

Advice to Management

Keep bringing in talent like the people who've joined this year.

"A once great atmosphere"

Former Employee - Client Success in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Client Success in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Monetate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with and learn from a great group of people.

Diverse client-base allows for experience in many different industries.

Flexible work arrangement.

Free lunch.

Cons

Only certain functional groups were held accountable for the quality of their work.

Product titles and sales packages changed frequently, creating confusing situations for sales, account management, client services, as well as clients.

Constant turnover (firing, mass layoffs, folks quitting) in 2014 and 2015 seemed to put a damper over the whole company.

Advice to Management

Allow Monetate, as a company, to stick to what it does best, and work on constantly improving that.

"Good"

Pros

Great culture, flexible hours, unlimited vacation, great catered lunches every day.

Cons

Leadership is scrambled, recently shed many talented engineers.

"Lost at sea..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Monetate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In it's prime, Monetate had some of the brightest and most dedicated employees I had ever worked with. In fact there are still some great people at Monetate who deserve more respect.

The software had been innovative too. Those days however seem long gone.

If you are just entering the job market, it's not a bad place to learn how not to run a company. Otherwise don't bother.

Cons

Leadership, plain and simple. The old guard was smart but indecisive, gambled and made the wrong bets. However, it's nothing like the new guard who are arrogant and disconnected to the people who keep the company afloat. It's a shame because they were *this* close to having a really good thing.

Advice to Management

People and customers are more important than bookings. Continuing to hire ex-Exact Target employees hasn't seemed to work either (how you've been able to con so many into joining is amazing!).