Money Management International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Ivan L.Hand, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Helping people, we do have good management and coworkers, everyone does the best they can with all we are expected to do" (in 15 reviews)

• "decent work from home wage, M/D/V benefits with PTO" (in 6 reviews)

"Housing Counselor"

Former Employee - Housing Counselor in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Housing Counselor in Sugar Land, TX

Pros

Good atmosphere, management good, very fair

Cons

lengthy training, late hours, more space

Advice to Management

Good

2. "Consumer Credit Counselor"

I worked at Money Management International full-time

Pros

Coworkers are very nice and always willing to help. Very rewarding when you are able to ease someone's mind and help them out with their finances.

Cons

Overworked. You are expected to do everything and even one bad month can put you in jeopardy of your job.

Advice to Management

Be honest and upfront that this job is really a sales position and that getting ppl signed up for DMP's is your main goal.

3. "Housing Counselor"

I worked at Money Management International full-time

Pros

Work/life balance and ability to train in other departments.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement and outside training/seminars not available to all employees.

"Salaries are very top heavy"

I worked at Money Management International full-time

Pros

Monday - Friday
    Paid holidays
    No micro managing

Cons

CEO makes well over $1M (this is a non profit)
    Multiple lay offs (because upper mngmnts high salaries throw off the budget)

Advice to Management

None

"not non-profit"

Former Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Money Management International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You're helping people keep their homes, buy homes, get out of debt, get educated, in general if you're committed to your job you are truly helping people.

Cons

There are more chiefs than indians, with each merger the company became more unstable and financially in trouble. Managements concern with the budget became paramount over concerns with staff or our clients. We were doing the job of two to three people to "cut the budget" of lower end management instead of getting rid of redundant upper management.

"Horrible place"

I have been working at Money Management International full-time

Pros

Can't think of any pros

Cons

Bad environment, no room to grow. Does not care about employees

"Counseling"

Former Employee - Counselor in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Counselor in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Money Management International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The idea of helping people is good.

Cons

The idea of helping people has turned into a sales pitch! The downside are many: low pay for those that are not upper management, too many director levels and above making outrageous salaries! Lack of advancement and raises. Very poor management of doing the exact same thing for several years as the industry has changes without keeping up. Too much management without the credentials (degree) to be able to manage efficiently and effectively. This leads to less customers, leading to layoffs! Year after year people are let go only due to poor management. A sinking ship!!!!

"Happy Employee"

Pros

Great co-workers worked as a team

Cons

No complaints, will recommend friends and family

Advice to Management

No suggestions at this time

"Housing counselor"

Current Employee - Housing Counselor
    Current Employee - Housing Counselor

I have been working at Money Management International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work at home. Provides a valuable service.

Cons

Micromanage, micromanage, micromanage. Workload is extremely overwhelming because of massive layoffs. We are expected to work 3 peoples jobs and still meet goals that have not changed even though we have less than half of the employees we had in the past. Constantly being questioned by management even if you are a employee meeting goals and working as hard as anyone can. Clients are not the priority any longer even though management pretends they are. The most important thing is money no matter the cost. Counselors have to deal with clients being frustrated and irrate from being on hold so long and not being able to get in touch with anyone. Raises? What is that? Haven’t had one in at least 7 years.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. Even your managers who are offered the option to move down to a counseling position or be laid off would rather be unemployed than work as a counselor. It was truly the most rewarding position with the company in the past. We are now treated as robots, expecting to be available all the time without even taking a breath after being on the phone for hours. Your counselors left are tenured employees. we know what we are doing. We are only human working under impossible circumstances. We are being disrespected by being micromanaged and blamed for not answering enough calls when everyone knows it’s imposssible with the lack of employees. We are not slackers. Treat us like we aren’t. Take a walk in your counselors shoes and try to imagine working under such stress of being questioned by your boss daily, trying to help clients to the best of your ability but without even being able to tell them they can call us back if they need additional help. We are extremely burnt out. If all your managers do each day is monitor the ques and call down counselors for ridiculous things, then lay them all off and please keep counselors. You all could also take a pay cut if you really cared about MMI and it’s survival. Our president is the highest paid of all services as president. We’re talking high upper 6 digits. It’s embarrassing. Way too top heavy with ridiculous salaries for a non profit. Meanwhile the counselors who bring in the revenue are working under extreme stress (mostly from management micromanaging) and feeling exhausted and beat down.

10. "Support Counselor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Money Management International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Helping people, we do have good management and coworkers, everyone does the best they can with all we are expected to do.

Cons

You worry about layoffs and then more work.

Advice to Management

Keep staff updated on business and try to find time off phone to prevent errors.