Money Management International Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 7, 2018

2.4
Ivan L.Hand, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Helping people, we do have good management and coworkers, everyone does the best they can with all we are expected to do" (in 15 reviews)

• "Opportunities to work from home" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being a non-profit, it's overseen by several other entities and receives funding and grants from even more" (in 12 reviews)

• "no room for advancement, low salary and disappointing raises" (in 6 reviews)

"Housing Counselor"

Former Employee - Housing Counselor in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Housing Counselor in Sugar Land, TX

Pros

Good atmosphere, management good, very fair

Cons

lengthy training, late hours, more space

Advice to Management

Good

2. "A sinking ship with poor management."

I worked at Money Management International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Several friendly co workers. Fair work / life balance. Flexible hours at times.

Cons

No annual raises, little to no employee appreciation. No opportunities for advancement in the last 5 years. The higher income and wages all goes to upper management. The company in the last 5 years has gone from roughly 1500 to 400 employees.

Advice to Management

This is easy. Be financially responsible. Drop your do nothing CEO that has a history of cashing in a 7 figure income and let your Sr VP take over with an income 25% of that. Invest into your employees and put some funds into advertising, You are losing business to other agencies ,you can’t brag and rely on word of mouth for your referrals anymore.

"The Only Option We Recommend is the One That Pays Us!"

Former Employee - Debt and Budget Counselor
    Former Employee - Debt and Budget Counselor

I worked at Money Management International (More than a year)

Pros

Direct interaction with clients in need; chance to create hope for people in bad situations.

Cons

Company only wants to sell Debt Management Plans, and get the fees from them. No reward for excellent service or satisfied clients.
    Managers are not interested in developing subordinates, outside of improving their sales numbers.

Advice to Management

Get out from under the nonprofit umbrella -- admit you're in it for the income! Put your counselors on commission. Also, spend a couple of dollars on marketing; spring for business cards and pay for in-person outreach. Or, maybe consider building enough grant income so you can let counselors counsel, instead of selling profit-generating products to broke people.

4. "Credit Counselor"

I worked at Money Management International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bonus, flexible schedule, breaks, possible work from home

Cons

raise takes years to get, minimal advancement, I to III only. Management pushes sales goals, no team building, ridiculous high call volumn. Dont expect to make more than $15 an hour...ever. Lot to learn to adequately help clients (many highly eduated clients). Expect to work weekends/weeknights

Advice to Management

Give annual raises. Stop promoting based on workers meeting sales goals, make bonus fair for all workers, amazon pays more to process mail

"It's an okay job"

Former Employee - Housing Counselor in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Housing Counselor in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Money Management International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits were decent; especially since it did not require a degree. Opportunities to work from home.

Cons

The problem that aggravated me the most was that there were too many "chefs in the kitchen". Being a non-profit, it's overseen by several other entities and receives funding and grants from even more. It affects counselors as updates and changes to the process of call intakes. One month, you have to do the job this way. The next month, you have to do the job that way.

There's a Quality Assurance team that monitors and evaluates calls. Your TPS scores all depend on their mood.

Restructuring of upper management occurred, seemingly, every quarter. From the time I started in 2009 and resigned in 2016, I had a total of 8 different supervisors that I reported to immediately.

The economy and federal policy changes can affect funding, which in turn, can affect hiring/employment. Basically, since they offer counseling for bankruptcy, foreclosure, and credit card debt, the worse the economy is the better the company is doing. And vice versa; the more the economy improves, the fewer consumers need their services.

Advice to Management

Do better.

"Consumer Credit Counselor"

I worked at Money Management International full-time

Pros

Coworkers are very nice and always willing to help. Very rewarding when you are able to ease someone's mind and help them out with their finances.

Cons

Overworked. You are expected to do everything and even one bad month can put you in jeopardy of your job.

Advice to Management

Be honest and upfront that this job is really a sales position and that getting ppl signed up for DMP's is your main goal.

7. "Housing Counselor"

I worked at Money Management International full-time

Pros

Work/life balance and ability to train in other departments.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement and outside training/seminars not available to all employees.

"Salaries are very top heavy"

I worked at Money Management International full-time

Pros

Monday - Friday
    Paid holidays
    No micro managing

Cons

CEO makes well over $1M (this is a non profit)
    Multiple lay offs (because upper mngmnts high salaries throw off the budget)

Advice to Management

None

"not non-profit"

Former Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Money Management International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You're helping people keep their homes, buy homes, get out of debt, get educated, in general if you're committed to your job you are truly helping people.

Cons

There are more chiefs than indians, with each merger the company became more unstable and financially in trouble. Managements concern with the budget became paramount over concerns with staff or our clients. We were doing the job of two to three people to "cut the budget" of lower end management instead of getting rid of redundant upper management.

"Horrible place"

I have been working at Money Management International full-time

Pros

Can't think of any pros

Cons

Bad environment, no room to grow. Does not care about employees