Money Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 8, 2017

3.2
Dan Fink

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Mixed Bag for Reporters"

Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

I worked at Money Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New 401(k) is great and break from Pearson makes expense reporting and normal online administrative duties very intuitive. Much improved technologies in almost every area from the past.
    The new owner is taking a hands off policy to editorial and the FT is nurturing closer ties between editorial operations. (We also get a nice quarterly rev sharing check.) In my experiences raises weren't great, but my editors did come through each year I was at M-M. After several years, I felt my pay was better than what most of my competitors were getting.
    The new owners are also letting the FT pump new money into hiring a real personnel staff in the U.S. and greatly improving health and other benefits. Vacation and personal time policies are also pretty sweet.
    The editors in my experience always treated underlings with respect and didn't try to push too many strings. Not much in the way of politics. This is also a newsroom that is willing to give talented reporters who might be new to a beat time to grow and learn. The emphasis by editors continues to be on reporting for a B-to-B audience through strong journalism and thorough reporting. They like heavily researched articles.
    For reporters who want to dig into a beat, M-M can be a really good place to work. If you work hard, in my experience you will be rewarded. The company is also a nice revenue generator so job security is pretty good for established publications.

Cons

If you're working for a good editor, this can be a great place to work. Just realize that M-M uses a very streamlined management structure. Each publication has a managing editor. Not much above them, so I used to hear complaints in the newsroom about how editors weren't held very accountable. Might be grousing but some reporters were convinced that a few of their editors just were not working very hard at all. (None thought they working for mean or unreasonable bosses.)

Advice to Management

Put some money into hiring another editor or two to sit between top managers and managing editors of each publication. Besides helping to keep MEs on their toes, added management can help get your brands more recognition with possible recruits. You could do more to cultivate an even bigger pipeline of new talent.

2. "Certainly more pros than cons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Money Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial culture even within a much larger organization (Pearson, I worked there before the acquisition of the FT by Nikkei). Steady, profitable business and publications with a high degree of reader loyalty. High editorial standards. They promote from within. Accountability and transparency from senior management (within the Money-Media division, that is; parent co. is another story).

Cons

Shifting leadership structure has downside of having to report to multiple managers with different expectations, making it more difficult to articulate clear objectives and make everyone happy. (This may have stabilized since I left.) Raises capped by parent company.

Advice to Management

Streamline management structure so that each employee has one direct report.

3. "Not much room for growth"

Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

Pros

good work-life balance, friendly co-workers (with a few notable exceptions). nice office space near SoHo. learn in-and-outs of complicated beats.

Cons

lack of transparency on salary and possibilities for career progression. men possibly being paid more than women for same work. salary for reporters is below industry standard for financial trade publications. lacking good editors, which results in learning ceiling. awful 401K option (high fees, bad options, subpar matching). disorganized HR. outdated and illogical tech systems. few reporters go on to other journalism jobs afterwards. During interview process, management tells you about possibilities to write for the FT, but in reality, there are few opportunities to do so; the two companies are much more separate than appears in the branding.

Advice to Management

improve the benefits programs, notably 401K (needs a better employer match). health insurance should also be improved (too expensive, a lot isn't covered). raise editorial salaries for reporters and editors; current rates are not keeping in line with competitors. provide a cost of living raise every year (NYC rents go up every year; salaries should, too). give employees more options to move up and transparency on how to do so. pay women as much as men for same work. be transparent on why bonuses are given and how amounts are decided.

4. "meh"

Pros

Okay for an entry level media job, flexible hours, good benefits, overall good atmosphere in the office.

Cons

Poor mid-level management on some teams which is not addressed by upper management and leads to mediocre results across the board

Advice to Management

Stop letting mediocre managers slide on success of the reporters/editors who do the work and offer competitive pay so you can retain talent.

5. "Good Stuff"

I have been working at Money Media full-time

Pros

There isn't a lot of opportunity to move up, but the people are nice and supportive with clear expectations. It's really about stretching the experience as much as you can

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity to move up and general demoralization in writing for a B2B audience

Advice to Management

They're doing a good job, don't mess things up

6. "Just say no"

I worked at Money Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Note the reviews of core employees not interns or sales. Flexible schedule, decent benefits per larger parent company, ability to build personal brand, networking with industry exes

Cons

Core services are mediocre quality - rehash, quotes mash, not in depth or breaking and dated platform. Profitably touted but mostly occurs on expense management (low wages, no mobility, travel bans). Flat revenues relies on jacked renewals. Several newer product lines shut down or faltering with layoffs, desperate refreshes, low promoter scores. Hamster wheel of content without advance leads to burnt culture. There's heightened uncertainty per process of a sale to a Japanese company.

Advice to Management

customer relationships are not only about email awareness. Don't rehire fails to lead million $ investments. Bi weekly staff mtngs and annual loyalty test survey are not leadership. New ownership might soon ignite more change, for better or worse.

7. "Good title to have on a resume"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Money Media as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interning was a good experience and taught me a lot about SalesForce. It gave a good footing for future internships/jobs

Cons

There were not very many projects for me to do and everything was very basic and a bit repetitive. However, i knew that going into the position. The salary was also minimum wage for an intern - which I guess is better than nothing.

Advice to Management

Pay your interns a bit more or provide transportation benefits. While I worked there for experience my money went into getting to and from work which was a bit sad.

8. "Very nice company"

Current Contractor - Senior PHP Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Contractor - Senior PHP Developer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Money Media as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Timing , can work offline , can work from home . Love the challenging work . Always works on new technologies

Cons

Nothing much i can ask regarding cons , since i didnt found any

Advice to Management

Nothing much i can ask regarding management, since i didnt found any

9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY

I worked at Money Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked in the sales dept for over ten years. The company is comprised of solid excellent reporters who create essential financial publications for the industry. The company has a very friendly and open communication culture which makes the work day that much better. The management works closely with every dept and they're always willing to listen to your concerns to make your role better. I probably should have stayed there.

Cons

None, really unless you don't like working for a medium sized company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the open communication policy and make sure that you're able to retain current employees by offering career growth.

"thankless job"

Current Employee - Grunt in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Grunt in New York, NY

I have been working at Money Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

the people who work hard here are great. Unfortunately, that's not everybody, and for some reason management continues to promote some of the laziest employees.

Cons

low pay, no thanks for hard work done well, uneven workloads with unfair pay scale. many employees just look at facebook, walk around and gossip all day, take 2 hour lunches, do sloppy work, or don't show up at all. management never goes to bat for editorial staff. many people have left recently out of frustration.

Advice to Management

management doesn't ever listen to employees suggestions.