MoneyGram International Reviews | Glassdoor

MoneyGram International CEO Alex Holmes
Alex Holmes
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance - opportunity to work from home, as appropriate (in 17 reviews)

• Flexible hours, great work environment, awesome structure (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management didn't care about employees once the move of HQ happened (in 17 reviews)

• Long hours, lack of communication, temps are paid better than full time perm employees (in 8 reviews)

"Human Resource Specialist"

Current Employee - Human Resource Specialist II in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resource Specialist II in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities to grow and learn different aspects within HR. Being a part of project teams allow you to collaborate globally.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement may be slim, depending on the business needs.

"Great Values but broken process"

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

MoneyGram in general is a good company that tries its best to make a good working environment for its employees.

Cons

The process behind the way the company works in all aspects is outdated and broken. They need to update the infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Focus on R & D before attacking new business.

3. "MoneyGram"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at MoneyGram International (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, lots of knowledge.

Cons

Poor senior leadership, very knee jerk

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, encourage them to talk!

"Sr. Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good work Balance. The have great PTO. Great people

Cons

compensation is not that great

Advice to Management

need to focus on diversification. focus more on revenue potentials of channels rather than channel expansion

Jan 29, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your honesty in the concerns you raise. We are also open to hear what you view as pros to working at MoneyGram. We are striving to create new solutions for... More

"Company Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a company that is trying to find their lost momentum and leadership is trying to gain market share. I think they are on the right track with the wrong resources but the High turnover provides the opportunity to move up very fast.

Cons

By trying to cut cost MGI moved operations overseas to a country with very hard and strict labor laws. I am not sure they will meet the projected cost saving because you cannot improvise experience. They talent retention program needs to be adjusted to meet the current needs.
    We may see the operations coming back to the US in 5 years or sooner.

Advice to Management

Too many new people in such a short period of time create many issues including compromise of the continuity of the programs and the quality of service.
    I belief call center management should concentrate on being on the same page to avoid unnecessary cost associated with errors due to lack of communication.

Jan 29, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We are sorry to hear about your experience. At MoneyGram , we encourage open communication and are constantly looking to improve on overall transparency. Your opinion matters to us and we will take... More

"Some good business leaders who are being undermined by poor IT leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some strong leaders (Pete Ohser and Alex Hoffmann for two) who are working to steer the business in the right direction

Cons

Leadership, especially within IT, is top-down directive but without the knowledge of the impact - the worst of all worlds. Ideally, you want leaders that empower their teams (who are the ones closest to the customer and technology) to make and drive decisions. Less ideal but workable are well-informed detail oriented leaders (read micro manager). However, not understanding the business and then also making detail level decisions is just bad. It leads to unmotivated workers and poor decisions.

Advice to Management

Lead, don't manage

Aug 3, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Hi and thank you for your honest review. We are wondering if you would be interested in providing us more information related to your concern about MoneyGram's leadership. We strive to provide our... More

"Global complaints specialist"

Pros

Company provides 401k plans, health, dental and vision coverage. Multicultural environment.

Cons

Due to outsourcing, majority of the US based positions are being sent overseas. The focus on the bottom line overpowers the quality of work and employees.

"Umm...."

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life balance, peer group, location

Cons

Upward mobility, career trajectory is non existence, lack of support from upper management, morale

Advice to Management

Stop talking so much and just listen .......

9. "Learning how the company works and how interesting it is to talk to different nationalities."

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When you are trying to help people out there are so many people who are just great at misleading other people, and when we could help solve peoples problems and save them money it felt great.

Cons

Listening to people, and finding out what a business is up to if they are legitimate with there clients and the people that work for them. Time off could be negative and this happens at so many call centers. For example you have time off called ( PTO )paid time off but you come to work you are lucky if you have PTO because you can use it. But if you don't and you are sick if you don't call in 24 hours ahead of time to let them know you are sick, and you happen to show up at work and you become ill, throwing up for example and you tell them you need to go home you can occur an occurrence and they may give you a warning other times they will write you up for being ill. Because you didn't give them a 24 hour notice. How are you supposed to know that you are going to be ill. Sometimes you have know idea what your body is going to do. The company is closing and we are all getting laid off.

Advice to Management

When you are training someone. And you have them training side by side with someone, for the duration of the training let them sit with that one person always. You confuse people when you have them sit with different people and you get them all mixed up everyone trains differently. If they learn from just one person they learn their techniques and their skills, but when you try to train with different people everyday they each have a different way of doing their job and you loose the person that you are training it becomes difficult learning from one person to the next. For time off policies I understand we get sick but if someone is trying to come to work even though they are ill and you can see that they are ill. Management should recognize that. They were there sometimes the illness can carry to other employees as well. Send those people home.

"Good work environment and benefits"

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A nice place to work for a few years, adds decent experience to add to your resume with a well known international company.

Cons

Disorganized. Not much opportunity to advance in your career, especially the last few years. Government regulations and fuzzy guidance from upper management hurting the company.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the steps being taken to try to improve the company. Compliance shouldn't be used as an excuse to make the customer experience worse.