MoneyGram International Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
MoneyGram International CEO Alex Holmes
Alex Holmes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Generally great corporate culture, clearly trying hard to be a top-quality company to work for, excellent recognition of work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Motivated Happy People Generally fun respectful work environment (in 19 reviews)

Cons

1. "Regional Compliance Officer"

Current Employee - Regional Compliance Officer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Compliance Officer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has diversity, work from home

Cons

poor organization ; poor Human resources management; long works hours between 10 and 13 per day; poor leadership; no work life balance; retaliation; terrible place to work

2. "Accounting"

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Horrible company run as fast as you can to nearest exit

Cons

High turnover. employees are constantly leaving. They can't keep full time employees. The contractors only stay a week and don't return which puts more work on the remaining employees. Management are like drill sergeants they monitor your work all day and criticize the way you handle the situation even though you're following procedure. Horrible company

Advice to Management

Hire new management or management training is definitely needed.

"Company on transformation mode and lays people off all the time."

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefit and freedom. Pay grade is normal with industry standards. IT is like a school. I can't really think of more pros about this company. It seems like unless you are in Dallas your chances are very low to grow.

Cons

Minneapolis location vulnerable. Data center will be moved to a cheaper real estate and as soon as that happens no need to have a location in MN. Recent acquisitions are also potential risk.

Advice to Management

Engage employees and gain their trust.

"They deserve less than 1 star"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Non-leadership staff primarily consists of great people. They are dedicated, hard working people that care about their clients/agents.

Cons

Terribly poor leadership at all levels. Management promotes and protects lazy, cancerous employees for two reasons: they stroke management's ego or because of "special favors".

Advice to Management

Ant Financial or Euronet - you need to clean house, replace all of the leadership and remove the cancerous employees.

5. "Contractor - Treat People Like Garbage"

Former Contractor - Contractor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at MoneyGram International as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful facility, interesting work, some good people

Cons

Most coworkers not friendly, not much in way of teamwork, or direction

Advice to Management

Management sucks amateur, passive agressive, useless leadership...told the guy before me was "set up for failure"...who does this?..little to no feedback on my work then after three months told to leave same day..no reason given..manager never even talked to me..their equally amateurish affiliated contracting company Keyot same..stay away from them both..mickey mouse operations both

"Poor Management"

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

Many wonderful people work at MoneyGram in entry-level positions.

Cons

Poor management at every level within the organization. They do not have morals and do not adhere to the "corporate values".

Advice to Management

Ant Financial execs need to replace all of the members of the Executive Committee and the Head/VP managers. Failing to replace these losers will cost you a large amount of money in the long run.

"Project Coordinator/Jr. Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator/Junior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator/Junior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

I liked the people I was working with at the time and enjoyed the relaxed dress code.....that is about it.

Cons

Management was awful! Constant changes. I didn't ever receive any formal training on the SDLC (software development life cycle) that I was operating in. There was very little mentorship and opportunity for growth. Although I was in a contract for hire position, I never felt that my manager treated me as a full time employee and had no intention of bringing me full time. He told me on multiple occasions, "If I have to do more work on your behalf, you will come to find that isn't a good thing." None of the Project Managers enjoyed any of their managers from what I knew. It also made a lot of people uneasy that there were constant layoffs. Very little transition documentation as well, which made it difficult to pick on projects mid life cycle.

There were ares of the company that didn't have the issues that the PMO had, but for the most part if you are going into the PMO as a Project Coordinator/Project Manager be ready to be frustrated at things you take heat for that are out of your control.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with/improving your Project Managers and not trying to fix a process that isn't broken.

8. "Unethical Sales organization"

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros at this time.

Cons

Management's talk not backed by actions.

"Torturous Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

Still some great people - though getting to be fewer and fewer

Cons

Company is run by a bunch of money grubbing bullies with no actual respect for or interest in the company or its employees.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Hire people who actually have a vision for the line of business and can muster at least a modicum of respect for the employees.

"Director"

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

Compensation structure is aimed at taking this out of the picture for job satisfaction.

Cons

All though compensation is good, the culture is a dismal failure. The new CEO has failed to drive a culture of unity within the communicated MoneyGram United strategy. The organization prefers to keep destructive and inexperienced leaders that have a longer tenure rather than focusing on the things that can make the organization better. MoneyGram loves to talk about change, but will continue to revert back to habits which have put it in the position its in...which is losing in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

If you can't separate your personal friends from your professional responsibilities, then you should reconsider your professional career path. You are doing a disservice to the company.