MoneyGram International Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MoneyGram International CEO Alex Holmes
Alex Holmes

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance - opportunity to work from home, as appropriate (in 15 reviews)

• A lot of great people works there, even the upper management (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management didn't care about employees once the move of HQ happened (in 17 reviews)

• Long hours, lack of communication, temps are paid better than full time perm employees (in 8 reviews)

"They deserve less than 1 star"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Non-leadership staff primarily consists of great people. They are dedicated, hard working people that care about their clients/agents.

Cons

Terribly poor leadership at all levels. Management promotes and protects lazy, cancerous employees for two reasons: they stroke management's ego or because of "special favors".

Advice to Management

Ant Financial or Euronet - you need to clean house, replace all of the leadership and remove the cancerous employees.

2. "Contractor - Treat People Like Garbage"

Former Contractor - Contractor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at MoneyGram International as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful facility, interesting work, some good people

Cons

Most coworkers not friendly, not much in way of teamwork, or direction

Advice to Management

Management sucks amateur, passive agressive, useless leadership...told the guy before me was "set up for failure"...who does this?..little to no feedback on my work then after three months told to leave same day..no reason given..manager never even talked to me..their equally amateurish affiliated contracting company Keyot same..stay away from them both..mickey mouse operations both

"Project Coordinator/Jr. Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator/Junior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator/Junior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

I liked the people I was working with at the time and enjoyed the relaxed dress code.....that is about it.

Cons

Management was awful! Constant changes. I didn't ever receive any formal training on the SDLC (software development life cycle) that I was operating in. There was very little mentorship and opportunity for growth. Although I was in a contract for hire position, I never felt that my manager treated me as a full time employee and had no intention of bringing me full time. He told me on multiple occasions, "If I have to do more work on your behalf, you will come to find that isn't a good thing." None of the Project Managers enjoyed any of their managers from what I knew. It also made a lot of people uneasy that there were constant layoffs. Very little transition documentation as well, which made it difficult to pick on projects mid life cycle.

There were ares of the company that didn't have the issues that the PMO had, but for the most part if you are going into the PMO as a Project Coordinator/Project Manager be ready to be frustrated at things you take heat for that are out of your control.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with/improving your Project Managers and not trying to fix a process that isn't broken.

"Torturous Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

Still some great people - though getting to be fewer and fewer

Cons

Company is run by a bunch of money grubbing bullies with no actual respect for or interest in the company or its employees.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Hire people who actually have a vision for the line of business and can muster at least a modicum of respect for the employees.

"POOR - HR & Senior Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

The offer average salaries, nothing special.

Cons

Poor senior leadership - they lack vision and have no "true leaders". They promote "Yes-man" mentality people in middle management positions. They fire or force out talented individuals because the week leaders are threatened by them.

HR is biased and plays favorites.

Advice to Management

1) Investors should demand a replacement of the entire board of directors. 2) All VP should be replaced. 3) Pamela Patsley should return her salary and stock options for the past 5 years.

This is why they stock has remained in the toilet.

"Compliance organization: a seedy underworld"

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Frisco, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to everything
    Cowboys stadium Go cowboys!

Cons

Leadership has no idea or clue - most can't even write a proper email or speak properly
    Inner circle mentality
    Racist against anyone who is not one of them
    Favoritism based on ethnicity Spanish decent and relationship
    Favors to management will get you promoted

Advice to Management

leadership is toxic and get by with unjust activities that is never investigated
    HR is a joke and are not neutral
    Many great individuals have either left or let go because of the "inner circle" happens almost every month - targets on people's back
    Say Promote culture of compliance but it's more culture of compliant
    Especially a couple individuals who are all talk but no action
    You can't complain or you will get fired, I have seen it with my own eyes.
    Individual who have many complaints and supposedly an open investigation don't get reprimanded because protected by the inner circle.
    This is a sad place to work and 80% of the people are looking for a new job
    Fines galore.
    New Chief CO needs to get rid of half the management and clean this place up

"....what about jon in your Minn office? And gar, and mel...."

Current Employee - Director, Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director, Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Positive changes are always a possibility.....lets just keep praying for dumber customers, ignorant agents and gullible bankers worldwide!

Cons

Too much to sum up, including the management team's incompetence, starting with failed marketing campaigns worldwide, compliance gaps, finance mis-reportings....

Advice to Management

Get rid of CMO cleanwater, CPO acordeon, CFO angels, etc., and with a clean house of the spectres of an ineffective CEO the company can shake off all the negative karma sorounding it

"Trainer III (Instructional Design / Product Trainer"

Former Employee - Senior Trainer and Instructional Designer in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Trainer and Instructional Designer in Lakewood, CO

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules to achieve work/life balance. Supportive of continued education.

Cons

Restructured in 2015, closed Lakewood, CO facility moving jobs to Poland. Moved others to Texas. No job security.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the talent you have before you let them go. You preach about hiring the talent when you already have the talent.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some intelligent people actually work there.

Cons

To be successful at MoneyGram you should go to your nearest surgeon and have a lobotomy - make sure that every cell of creative brain matter is removed as well as any cells contributing to creativity or ethics. You will do great! be a drone, think like everyone else, looks at everything with a lust for money and power, and no caring whatsoever for individuals you will excel to upper management.

Advice to Management

Resign. Those of us with intelligence and morals are all leaving you behind.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers and front line employees

Cons

Management team lack vision. No understanding of amount of work needed to get things done. Very poor company culture.

MoneyGram International Response

Jan 29, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate your review. As we look to ensure successful careers for all employees. If you feel the work-life balance you are looking for is not being achieved, please feel free to discuss this ... More