MoneyGram International Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MoneyGram International CEO Alex Holmes
Alex Holmes

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance - opportunity to work from home, as appropriate (in 15 reviews)

• A lot of great people works there, even the upper management (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management didn't care about employees once the move of HQ happened (in 17 reviews)

• Long hours, lack of communication, temps are paid better than full time perm employees (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The future is bright"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

The recruitment process was efficient, Moneygram was impressively quick to make decisions. Onboarding process was quick and easy.
    Culture is positive and forward looking. Of course, there are problems to be solved but the company is aware and pragmatic about solving them.

Cons

A little staid and old-school.

Advice to Management

Keep shaking things up

2. "Great"

Current Employee - Facilities in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Facilities in Denver, CO

Pros

Fair, good employee relationships. Before the resession much room for advancement..

Cons

With the recession no upward mobility available.

Advice to Management

Promote within

3. "Out of touch"

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people interesting work.

Cons

Bang zoom re-org....happens all of the time, 200 effected in CO. There's something up with this group.

Advice to Management

Think twice before acting in this fashion.

5. "Growing out of control"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, profitable company, work-life balance

Cons

lack of control, lower compensation, very lean

"great"

Pros

good company
    good environment
    Good employees
    Easily move up

Cons

good company
    good environment
    Good employees
    Easily move up

"Team-oriented, employee-oriented organization with an opportunity for work-life balance!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work-Life Balance - opportunity to work from home, as appropriate
    - Business Process Improvement focus - many global projects, with opportunity to work directly on change management initiatives
    - Personal Growth - opportunities for advancement, if you perform well
    - Benefits - Great improvement in total Benefits package this year (2015) - inexpensive medical premiums, with a lower deductible than last year; 4 weeks for vacation/sick/personal; 10 paid holidays; nice company 401k match - definitely stronger than 2014!
    - Communication - New employee intranet site - increased visibility into organization, more direct communication to employees

Cons

Multiple legacy systems for employee information. However, company is getting new global platform in 2nd quarter 2015, so that will be changing soon.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate with employees, and to listen to employee feedback. It is working!

"Lots of talented people"

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

I have been working at MoneyGram for around 2 years, and have to say that there are a lot of smart, friendly and dedicated people working there. It's fun working at a company this size - it gives me the opportunity to be an expert/point of contact in one subject, while also doing a variety of things day to day. In a previous role I worked for a much larger company, where I was responsible for doing a lot of the same thing 80% of the time, and felt far removed from org leaders or people of any real influence.

Cons

They have recently gone through a reorganization, which means there is some "storming and norming", but I really enjoy the new people they brought in. I'm ok with change - it keeps things fresh!

Advice to Management

Continue to hire more good people!

Jul 2, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We're glad to hear about your positive experience with your coworkers. We try to hire top notch talent, and it's nice to hear when we get it right!

"Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With just 2700 employees, this is not a huge company but it does have a massively global footprint. If you're a go-getter who thrives in a non-structured environment and can figure things out for yourself, this is a GREAT place to work. For those who need strict processes and structure, this may not be the place for you. I absolutely love it because I feel I can be part of the creation of structure and processes. It is definitely a start-up type company, but has been around a long time. They are looking for people to help them innovate. There are many great leaders who are here to help effect change and progress which makes it an exciting place to be.

Cons

The company is in an aggressive change mode which can be challenging at times. We are moving very fast and it can be hard to keep.

Advice to Management

Communication has improved - keep that up! We have great senior leaders across the globe who are striving to make the company the best it can be.

Jul 2, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We're so happy to hear and couldn't agree more! When you join MoneyGram, you join a truly global network of financial experts and we're glad to have you as part of the team.

"Great company"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are friendly, salary is good, great atmosphere

Cons

nothing really - maybe communication channels should be broaden

Advice to Management

Communicate your strategic plans, collaborate with employees

Jan 29, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for the positive feedback. When you choose MoneyGram, you choose to work with a global family of financial experts and we're happy you're on our team!

"Executives leaders built strong shareholder value"

Former Employee - Manager of Planning Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager of Planning Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

The Dallas Executives have wiped out only 70% of share holder value in the last 5 years while the overall market has been in a huge bubble. That takes a special type of skill.

The Board of Directors obviously are super talented as they support these executives and not a single one has been fired given the outstanding 5 -7 year performance record of minus 70%

Cons

Money has only dropped down to the 4th or 5th position in the industry, the current executive could wipe that company out much fast if they stopped flying around in the private jet and focused on hiring more

Advice to Management

Transfer your retention bonuses into BitCoins as fast as possible so the DOJ and SEC cannot get a hold of your hard earned and well deserved money

Jan 29, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your honest feedback. We strive to provide our employees with an environment that each person feels heard. Hearing the pros and cons of working at MoneyGram helps us make the company a ... More