MoneyGram International Reviews | Glassdoor

MoneyGram International Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance - opportunity to work from home, as appropriate (in 15 reviews)

• A lot of great people works there, even the upper management (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management didn't care about employees once the move of HQ happened (in 17 reviews)

• Long hours, lack of communication, temps are paid better than full time perm employees (in 8 reviews)

1. "Global Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Global exposure is excellent and great learning.

Cons

The "people".
    Many are great but some questionable ones.

2. "Excellent company to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Excellent benefits, work environment, excellent technologies, best HR,

Cons

Could have been better in terms of space.

"Project Coordinator/Jr. Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator/Junior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator/Junior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

I liked the people I was working with at the time and enjoyed the relaxed dress code.....that is about it.

Cons

Management was awful! Constant changes. I didn't ever receive any formal training on the SDLC (software development life cycle) that I was operating in. There was very little mentorship and opportunity for growth. Although I was in a contract for hire position, I never felt that my manager treated me as a full time employee and had no intention of bringing me full time. He told me on multiple occasions, "If I have to do more work on your behalf, you will come to find that isn't a good thing." None of the Project Managers enjoyed any of their managers from what I knew. It also made a lot of people uneasy that there were constant layoffs. Very little transition documentation as well, which made it difficult to pick on projects mid life cycle.

There were ares of the company that didn't have the issues that the PMO had, but for the most part if you are going into the PMO as a Project Coordinator/Project Manager be ready to be frustrated at things you take heat for that are out of your control.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with/improving your Project Managers and not trying to fix a process that isn't broken.

"Torturous Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

Still some great people - though getting to be fewer and fewer

Cons

Company is run by a bunch of money grubbing bullies with no actual respect for or interest in the company or its employees.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Hire people who actually have a vision for the line of business and can muster at least a modicum of respect for the employees.

"POOR - HR & Senior Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

The offer average salaries, nothing special.

Cons

Poor senior leadership - they lack vision and have no "true leaders". They promote "Yes-man" mentality people in middle management positions. They fire or force out talented individuals because the week leaders are threatened by them.

HR is biased and plays favorites.

Advice to Management

1) Investors should demand a replacement of the entire board of directors. 2) All VP should be replaced. 3) Pamela Patsley should return her salary and stock options for the past 5 years.

This is why they stock has remained in the toilet.

"Compliance organization: a seedy underworld"

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Frisco, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to everything
    Cowboys stadium Go cowboys!

Cons

Leadership has no idea or clue - most can't even write a proper email or speak properly
    Inner circle mentality
    Racist against anyone who is not one of them
    Favoritism based on ethnicity Spanish decent and relationship
    Favors to management will get you promoted

Advice to Management

leadership is toxic and get by with unjust activities that is never investigated
    HR is a joke and are not neutral
    Many great individuals have either left or let go because of the "inner circle" happens almost every month - targets on people's back
    Say Promote culture of compliance but it's more culture of compliant
    Especially a couple individuals who are all talk but no action
    You can't complain or you will get fired, I have seen it with my own eyes.
    Individual who have many complaints and supposedly an open investigation don't get reprimanded because protected by the inner circle.
    This is a sad place to work and 80% of the people are looking for a new job
    Fines galore.
    New Chief CO needs to get rid of half the management and clean this place up

"....what about jon in your Minn office? And gar, and mel...."

Current Employee - Director, Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director, Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Positive changes are always a possibility.....lets just keep praying for dumber customers, ignorant agents and gullible bankers worldwide!

Cons

Too much to sum up, including the management team's incompetence, starting with failed marketing campaigns worldwide, compliance gaps, finance mis-reportings....

Advice to Management

Get rid of CMO cleanwater, CPO acordeon, CFO angels, etc., and with a clean house of the spectres of an ineffective CEO the company can shake off all the negative karma sorounding it

9. "MoneyGram - Technical Support"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Brooklyn Center, MN
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Brooklyn Center, MN

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of overtime and ample opportunity to make extra money when needed.

Cons

Very few opportunities to advance career. Poor communication from senior level management.

Advice to Management

Communicate the company plans, goals, and direction of the company to all levels of staff.

"Outstanding company and people"

Current Employee - Product Management Leader in Saint Louis Park, MN
    Current Employee - Product Management Leader in Saint Louis Park, MN

Pros

I've worked at MoneyGram for 5 years. I work in the Global Product group. I have a great team and great leader -- the culture is high-trust and solution focused. It's a very interesting business with a global reach. Every day I get to work with colleagues around the globe on their specific challenge or opportunity. I cannot say enough good things about the people at MoneyGram.

Cons

Although working for such a global company is awesome, it can translate to some interesting working hours/conference call times. It's a very flexible work environment that requires flexibility in employees.

Advice to Management

I really enjoy the tone set by Product leadership as well as by Alex Holmes, the CEO. It's a culture of trust and transparency and I am very happy to work at MoneyGram.

11. "Global Experience Guaranteed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small company with truly global reach. Great place to get global experience.

Cons

If you like change and the challenges that come with it, this is a great place.