MoneyGram International Reviews | Glassdoor

MoneyGram International Reviews

Updated July 19, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Generally great corporate culture, clearly trying hard to be a top-quality company to work for, excellent recognition of work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• A lot of great people works there, even the upper management (in 19 reviews)

Cons

"Compliance organization: a seedy underworld"

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Frisco, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to everything
    Cowboys stadium Go cowboys!

Cons

Leadership has no idea or clue - most can't even write a proper email or speak properly
    Inner circle mentality
    Racist against anyone who is not one of them
    Favoritism based on ethnicity Spanish decent and relationship
    Favors to management will get you promoted

Advice to Management

leadership is toxic and get by with unjust activities that is never investigated
    HR is a joke and are not neutral
    Many great individuals have either left or let go because of the "inner circle" happens almost every month - targets on people's back
    Say Promote culture of compliance but it's more culture of compliant
    Especially a couple individuals who are all talk but no action
    You can't complain or you will get fired, I have seen it with my own eyes.
    Individual who have many complaints and supposedly an open investigation don't get reprimanded because protected by the inner circle.
    This is a sad place to work and 80% of the people are looking for a new job
    Fines galore.
    New Chief CO needs to get rid of half the management and clean this place up

"Trainer III (Instructional Design / Product Trainer"

Former Employee - Senior Trainer and Instructional Designer in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Trainer and Instructional Designer in Lakewood, CO

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules to achieve work/life balance. Supportive of continued education.

Cons

Restructured in 2015, closed Lakewood, CO facility moving jobs to Poland. Moved others to Texas. No job security.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the talent you have before you let them go. You preach about hiring the talent when you already have the talent.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some intelligent people actually work there.

Cons

To be successful at MoneyGram you should go to your nearest surgeon and have a lobotomy - make sure that every cell of creative brain matter is removed as well as any cells contributing to creativity or ethics. You will do great! be a drone, think like everyone else, looks at everything with a lust for money and power, and no caring whatsoever for individuals you will excel to upper management.

Advice to Management

Resign. Those of us with intelligence and morals are all leaving you behind.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers and front line employees

Cons

Management team lack vision. No understanding of amount of work needed to get things done. Very poor company culture.

MoneyGram International Response

Jan 29, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate your review. As we look to ensure successful careers for all employees. If you feel the work-life balance you are looking for is not being achieved, please feel free to discuss this... More

"Not good for customers or employees, not good for investors either"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Momma alway said if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Cons

Below average industry salaries, very poor work/life balance, high probability that you will be replaced by the lowest cost employee anywhere in the world, promotions based on guesses and whims, disregard for the rule of law, $18 million fine to the Federal Trade Commission, $100 million fine to the US Dept of Justice for the the DOJ called "egregious" criminal activity, recruited for the Poland call center by misrepresenting the nature of the job to candidates, customers regularly very angry at treatment and company policies

Advice to Management

Find something else to do with your time.

"Unstable Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flower Mound, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flower Mound, TX

I worked at MoneyGram International (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse culture, training opportunities, International

Cons

Management is not transparent. IT / Technology team is outsourced and under qualified. Products are not competitive in marketplace.

7. "No process followed in any department."

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at MoneyGram International as a contractor

Pros

New learning experience in a new domain. Lot of new process and changes being incorporated

Cons

Releases are never scheduled properly.

"Clumsy, reactionary company in its death throes thanks to its leadership's narcissism, gullibility, and sandbagging."

Former Employee - CIS in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - CIS in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company will probably be purchased by a better-run enterprise who will tear it apart, absorb anything worth keeping, and sell off and/or trash the rest. If that happens, everyone will be better off. Hopefully this happens in a hostile fashion so that the leadership gets a little taste of how they've treated their employees.

Cons

This is from their website "We understand the importance of career development, so we provide many opportunities for you to learn, grow and, best of all, succeed."

Lies. All lies. There's no career development. There's no training. There's no opportunities. There's no upward mobility at Moneygram. They are a reactionary company, so they have to cannibalize from companies that are more innovative.

Moneygram is a company full of traitors with no original ideas.

Anyone who "succeeds" at Moneygram is a sociopath, or a sycophant, because that's the culture.

Here's a fact: I worked at Moneygram for almost eight years, and I never once used any of their products or services. And that's not something I intended. I'm not bragging. But it is a fact just the same.

Moneygram is a retail, money-transfer company. Think about it: You can transfer money on your phone, so who really needs the services of this company anymore?

I'm not suggesting that Moneygram services aren't needed. Poor people need them. Desperate people need them. People with terrible credit who can't get a bank account or credit card need them. Technology-phobic individuals need them. Bail bondsman need them. Slumlords need them. Fraudsters need them. It's still a money-making enterprise if exploiting people and dredging cash from the bottom of society is the business you'd like to be in.

If appealing to the lowest common denominator is the career path you're taking, then Moneygram is the place for you.

Here's how misguided the leadership is: They decided to build--with their own technology, and with their own money and resources--a money transfer network for their largest client...Walmart. Immediately following the rollout, Walmart used that very network to offer their own domestic money-transfer product thereby becoming one of Moneygram's largest competitors. Walmart then undercut Moneygram's fees for the same service.

*Face palm* Doyeeee!

Moneygram is finally investing in upgrades and piloting new services, but they spent too much time sandbagging, so it's too late. Other companies have beat them to the punch. Moneygram has other ways of making money. However, retail fees, and the interest gleaned from storing the cash during transfer are the cows that gave the most milk, and those cows are dying (and now Walmart is also milking those cows).

Do your research. If you accept a job working for this company after knowing their history and reputation, you are either desperate, deluded, or pure evil.

Advice to Management

It's all smoke and mirrors at this point, isn't it? Show business. You've basically pared everything down to a building full of VP's in Dallas. You've hired a few people in Europe recently, but we both know you're going to lay them all off too when the soonest opportunity presents itself.

From your website: "respect, courage, passion, integrity and teamwork." Those are just words you hired an outside PR agency to look up in a dictionary for you, because you haver no clue what those words mean.

"Courage"? Maybe. It must take a lot of guts to tell people you have "respect" and "integrity" with a straight face.

"Teamwork"? That's just a joke, right? There is no "team". There's a CEO who poses for a lot of photo ops in exotic locations while a bunch of VP's in Dallas figure out how squeeze out the last drop of revenue before she finds a buyer more gullible than the people working for her.

Ya'll deserve each other.

"CEO and CFO must be fired!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Brooklyn Center, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Brooklyn Center, MN

I have been working at MoneyGram International (More than 8 years)

Pros

CEO had turned the place into a milk cow for personal benefit.

Cons

They use extreme tactics to get rid of all major US based employees with tenor so that they can collect benefits themselves.

Advice to Management

Be open and truthfull and isnt it enough that you have done. Leave and let this company live again!

MoneyGram International Response

Aug 3, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your honest review. We are wondering if you would be interested in providing us more information related to your concern about MoneyGram's leadership. We strive to provide our employees... More

"Exert some caution"

Former Employee - U S Compliance Officer in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - U S Compliance Officer in Frisco, TX

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not too much to say here, I guess the benefits were okay, and the people were nice enough.

Cons

Dont expect much in the way of work/family balance, the pay is just barely worth the amount of time, and frustrations caused by management. Most management or horribly under qualified for how important their roles are, expect more sanctions to come.

Advice to Management

Get the right qualified people in positions of importance.