MoneyGram International Reviews | Glassdoor

MoneyGram International Reviews

Updated June 20, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance - opportunity to work from home, as appropriate (in 17 reviews)

• Flexible hours, great work environment, awesome structure (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management didn't care about employees once the move of HQ happened (in 17 reviews)

• Long hours, lack of communication, temps are paid better than full time perm employees (in 8 reviews)

1. "More than meets the eye"

Current Employee - Global Operations in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Global Operations in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to learn. The company has been through a lot of changes with a reorganization that led to offshoring US positions to Warsaw Poland and has increased its brand into international markets.

Cons

The high deductible medical plan blows, overall benefits are below par except for the tuition reimbursement.

Advice to Management

stabalize

"Managment Sucks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at MoneyGram International (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is ok benefits are normal

Cons

There is no Knowledge pool. They were either laid off or quit

Advice to Management

get a clue

"Too Much Office Politics"

Former Employee - Senior Compliance Analyst in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Compliance Analyst in Frisco, TX

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, and flexibility to work remotely. Free coffee and occasional snacks available during festive periods

Cons

Career progression & promotion are not by proven ability, experience or qualifications but on personal relationships with direct reports and others

Advice to Management

Management need your create an environment of inclusiveness for all in terms of opportunities and to grow within the company

"Stressful Environment"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable in Frisco, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is competitive and benefits decent, especially their 401k plan which matches from date of contribution. You'll definitely not be bored and have down time. Meetings are key with this company.

Cons

Workload is heavy and stressful, always changing daily. Have seen multiple managers leave the company in a years time and no one new to take their place.

Advice to Management

Don't over work your employees and give them some breathing room. Also favoritism is noticed by other team members.

Feb 23, 2016 – Inbound Marketing Manager

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your honesty in the concerns you raise. We are striving to create new solutions for our employees - so thank you for your feedback.

"Don't do it!"

Pros

I have thought long and hard about something positive to say and the only thing I can say is, at least it was a job.

Cons

Extreme favoritism
    Certain team leads were thrown into their positions and these individuals lack principal managerial skills
    Possible racism
    Low morale
    Hiring of friends from the outside rather than promoting from within or hiring existing contractors
    Different expectations for MoneyGram employees and contractors

Advice to Management

They don't care to listen. Some of them do not even have to courtesy to respond to emails.

Jan 29, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your honest review. We are wondering if you would be interested in providing us more information related to your concern about MoneyGram's leadership. We strive to provide our employees... More

6. "It Ops specialist"

Former Contractor - IT Operations Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Contractor - IT Operations Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at MoneyGram International as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked from home was a pro

Cons

lots of outsourcing was a con

"Work Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn Center, MN

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on department, good work/life balance. People are awesome, they had a very dedicated staff. Many employees had been with the company for 30+ years. When I started I was so impressed by this - it says a lot about the company when you have employees willing to stick around for their entire working careers.

Cons

Very poor communication overall from Executives and sometimes Senior Management.

A decision was made in early 2013 to outsource the Settlement and Accounting positions to Poland. Management seemed very disorganized and uninformed and the execution of the transition was horrible. U.S. employees were a means to an end, not treated as valuable members of a team. A very sad way to many to end their careers with the company they had dedicated many years of their lives to.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to realize the value of the knowledge and experience you have with your current US employees and utilize their skills to provide a better experience for the agents and billers. Outsourcing doesn't necessarily mean more profits; ultimately your customers need to be happy or you will lose business.

"Very nice company stuck in the hands of wrong people"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice benefits
    Nice work to life balance
    easy growth ladder

Cons

Management stuck with vendors (may be because someone gets kickbacks somewhere)
    useless contracting companies minting millions every year jeopardizing employees' bonuses
    favoritism acts bad for people who are not in the good books
    most long timers just show up for work because they jjust need the paycheck

"Account Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn Center, MN

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked at MoneyGram with a great group of people that cared about working hard and keeping customers happy. PTO and paid holidays were above average.

Cons

Poor management and leadership- it is all about the bottom line, most of operations were offshored to save money - negative impact to domestic customers. Good luck in retaining your domestic customer base when they do not have the superior customer service support that they were used to by US employees.

Advice to Management

You are late to the party by moving operations overseas-most companies learned years ago that this does not work!

Jan 29, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your honest feedback. We strive to provide our employees with an environment that each person feels heard. Hearing the pros and cons of working at MoneyGram helps us make the company a... More

"Unfortunate Sacrifice"

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

Some great people working throughout the organization that truly care about the customer and safe transfers. Being able to work with people from around the world everyday creates an atmosphere that you cannot find in most other organizations.

Cons

Too many of the top leaders (not all) cut back the employees, budgets, and product/service quality for the sake of hitting their personal bonuses. The employees do notice this when the leadership finances are reported at the end of the year. Then the corporate line "do more with less" rings hollow.

Jan 29, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your honesty in the concerns you raise. We are also open to hear what your view as pros to working at MoneyGram. We are striving to create new solutions for... More