MongoDB Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MongoDB CEO Dev Ittycheria
Dev Ittycheria

Pros
  • Great flexibility, honesty, lots of opportunity to grow and work life balance are the major theme of my daily work here (in 13 reviews)

• There are a lot of really smart people at MongoDB combined with a nurturing culture (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to set your own limits as far as work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Like any fast-growing company, some groups can occasionally get ahead of others (in 11 reviews)

1. "Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management team, solid commitment to diversity, brilliant and motivated co-workers, and an exciting company that's growing fast

Cons

Sometimes people focus on putting in long hours at their own expense; you'll feel pressure to do the same, but not from management (that I can tell).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Best Choice of my Career"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ You are always learning
    + Surround myself with smart and amazing people
    + Recognized when doing well
    + bullish on the future of MongoDB
    + Strong management team
    + Company invests in my future

Cons

- The snack choice is lacking compared to companies I have worked for in the past. I would suggest changing this up every few weeks.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees. Keep the town halls consistent & leave more time for answering anonymous Q&As.

Mar 31, 2017 – CEO

It's quite an honor to be considered the best choice of your career—we hope to continue living up to that standard. Investing in the growth of our employees is one of our top priorities, which is why ... More

3. "Great culture, great balance (intern)"

Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB (Less than a year)

Pros

-Incredible work/life balance
    -Opportunity for personal growth within the company, flexibility of projects/topics. You are made to feel that your contributions are important.

Cons

-You definitely need to set your own boundaries for work/life. Management will not tell you to do so.
    -You need to be an instigator/initiator. Talk to management often, or you will fall behind.

"Sound Management Makes the Difference"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have not encountered a better-managed company in more decades than most of you have been out of diapers. Almost very time I find something crazy, it turns out there is already a schedule to fix it. When there isn't, I find a ready ear, and encouragement to action. Everywhere something is expected to happen more than once, time is taken to evaluate to how it can be handled better next time, and it is. The roadmap for development goes out years, and is driven by the entire technical staff. Every development project connects to roadmap goals. There's plenty of turnover, but I have not seen anybody leave in disgust.

A yoga instructor comes in twice a week at 5. All technical work can be done from anywhere on the internet. Employees are expected to act like adults, and are treated like adults. There are frequent seminars by authors of important work, and reading groups for important papers. Software development practices are modern, including continuous integration, git, code review, stand-ups. New C++ code is C++14 plus Boost. Equipment is modern. Solaris is a third-class platform. The intern program is well-run and serious.

Cons

Lunch is only catered in on Tuesdays and Fridays. Like everywhere else, way too much of the code is awful, although unlike most other places, serious time is devoted to making it better. Employees are issued Macbooks, by default, and IT officially supports only Macs, which stinks if you detest Apple; although they do try their best, cheerfully, for the rest. Developers seem to mostly run Ubuntu on the desktop, which is icky, but nobody forces it; I have seen Fedora, Debian, even BSD and Windows. There are no offices; rooms with a door are parceled out by the hour. Bathroom stalls at the New York office are becoming oversubscribed. Much of the support code is in Go. They frequently hire CS instead of engineering graduates, who then need to be taught to be engineers.

Insurance is Cigna. Almost everything that can be outsourced is, so you will spend the first week making accounts on outside web sites for everything from paycheck deposits to the org chart. Development mostly goes on only at the New York office; remote development spots are unlikely, although there are sales support and customer engineering openings all over the world. Although the software is Free on github (with tests), it's nobody's job to look at pull requests. Stock option offerings are nothing to retire on. Free snacks include the usual, plus cheese, hummus, and yogurt, but not organic.

"Working at MongoDB"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work at MongoDB is both challenging and extremely enjoyable.

Cons

There is always something to do (not a bad thing), but because of the growth of the business time management and priority become important skills.

Feb 22, 2017 – Social Recruiting and Employer Brand Specialist

We're glad to hear you are enjoying your time at MongoDB. If you ever feel as though time management and prioritizing become an issue, please do not hesitate to reach out to your manager or HR ... More

"Fast-paced, balanced culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

This company is heavily devoted to uncovering, gaining, & retaining top talent in the industry to propel it's fast-paced expansion goals! The fact that they have been able to maintain such a fun, tight-knit "start-up culture" through the massive growth is amazing. The executive team is inspiring, agile, and personable... but even aside from the top level, it is an overall extremely friendly and intelligent team of individuals.

Cons

If you don't do well with rapid change, this would not be the place for you. The NYC HQ office location is also not totally ideal in Times Square.

Advice to Management

Continue to devote time and energy into maintaining the familial culture you've created here at MongoDB as we continue to grow and evolve - in my opinion, it's what makes us stand apart from the crowd in this industry!

Feb 22, 2017 – Social Recruiting and Employer Brand Specialist

Thanks so much for your review! It's great to know our dedication to building an unparalleled team across the globe is not going unnoticed. We truly believe our people are our biggest asset, and we ... More

"Great place, some misdirection"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Very intelligent people
    * Food in the office
    * Relaxed culture where you get done stuff on your own time

Cons

* There are lots of features the database needs that have not been prioritized

Advice to Management

Keep promoting internally

9. "A rocket ship"

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product, world-class management team, and a collegiate culture.

Cons

The usual "problems of prosperity" when a company is growing this quickly. Overall, not a major issue.

Advice to Management

Maintain the great culture!

10. "Great company, great internship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The internship program is great, and the they really try to make it the best experience possible.

Cons

As a growing company, the management structure is rather confusing, but none otherwise

"Software Engineer of 2 years"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MongoDB has a great culture and is full of incredibly smart and talented people. There are a ton of very interesting problems to work on, and a great working environment. The hours are reasonable, my manager makes sure I'm happy and on track, and there is a great level of transparency across the company.

Cons

Many development processes are seen as constant works in progress, so you need to be ready for some imperfections and constant tweaking. The office is expanding, but the current setup makes it harder to have regular contact with people on the other side of the office.

Advice to Management

Keep up the levels of transparency with your Objectives and Key Results (OKRs), and the all-hands meetings to check in about the company overall.