MongoDB Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
MongoDB CEO Dev Ittycheria
Dev Ittycheria

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • far ahead of the game in work-life balance - people are open to what helps you work best, and working in the office is motivating but also chill (in 14 reviews)

• There are a lot of really smart people at MongoDB combined with a nurturing culture (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to set your own limits as far as work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Open source technology can always dilute the messaging of the enterprise offering (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing product & market opportunity and all around solid company"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The awareness of NoSQL, demand for cloud, the product, and company talent are all at a great spot
    Company is really well run, transparent, respectful of employees
    They understand in order to grow so quickly, retaining talent is high priority

Cons

Aggressive growth goals put pressure but are achievable

Advice to Management

Make sure employee benefit from high growth even if they don't meet the most aggressive goals

2. "Best Sales team in the industry!"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

Surrounded by great people (not easy to get in)
    Training is 2nd to none
    Culture is direct, fair, meritocracy
    Management is demanding but everything they ask for is proven to work
    If you're talented, work hard and demonstrate success, you'll earn lots of money and can get promoted quickly (hasn't happened to me but there are lots of examples)
    I seriously believe this is the best sales team in the industry

Cons

There is a lot to learn so first few months are challenging- databases, app dev, open source (not to mention the sales stuff- MEDDPICC, PG Recipe
    Pace of work is intense so don't come if you want to coast

Advice to Management

Overall, you're doing great so keep it up
    More frequent, less formal Town Halls
    Ease up the churn policy

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management team, solid commitment to diversity, brilliant and motivated co-workers, and an exciting company that's growing fast

Cons

Sometimes people focus on putting in long hours at their own expense; you'll feel pressure to do the same, but not from management (that I can tell).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

4. "Great place to work"

Pros

The culture is great, morale is high, and the work is interesting and challenging.

Cons

Like any fast-growing company, some groups can occasionally get ahead of others.

"Best Choice of my Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ You are always learning
    + Surround myself with smart and amazing people
    + Recognized when doing well
    + bullish on the future of MongoDB
    + Strong management team
    + Company invests in my future

Cons

- The snack choice is lacking compared to companies I have worked for in the past. I would suggest changing this up every few weeks.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees. Keep the town halls consistent & leave more time for answering anonymous Q&As.

MongoDB Response

Mar 31, 2017 – CEO

It's quite an honor to be considered the best choice of your career—we hope to continue living up to that standard. Investing in the growth of our employees is one of our top priorities, which is why... More

"Great & Keeps Getting Better"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MongoDB offers a challenging job in a growing marketing. I am surrounded by super bright, ambitious people. It's very exciting to be working at a technology disrupter. People are fun and good humored. Office is gorgeous and we get all sorts of great benefits such as lunches 2x a week, unlimited snacks, a constant parade of treats "just because", department retreats, discounts to gyms, etc. The real benefit is the fun, interesting work. Management and senior execs are supportive and care about employees. No job is perfect but can't think of a better place.

Cons

You have to set your own limits as far as work/life balance. Managers will respect boundaries, but you have to know when to recharge. No one is going to tell you.

7. "Disruptive technology, huge market, massive opportunity"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

- Addressable market is massive
    - Proven executive leadership team
    - High expectations with great reward
    - Really strong teamwork across organization
    - Commitment to development & enablement

Cons

- Being successful takes a lot of focus and work so its not for everyone

"Sound Management Makes the Difference"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have not encountered a better-managed company in more decades than most of you have been out of diapers. Almost very time I find something crazy, it turns out there is already a schedule to fix it. When there isn't, I find a ready ear, and encouragement to action. Everywhere something is expected to happen more than once, time is taken to evaluate to how it can be handled better next time, and it is. The roadmap for development goes out years, and is driven by the entire technical staff. Every development project connects to roadmap goals. There's plenty of turnover, but I have not seen anybody leave in disgust.

A yoga instructor comes in twice a week at 5. All technical work can be done from anywhere on the internet. Employees are expected to act like adults, and are treated like adults. There are frequent seminars by authors of important work, and reading groups for important papers. Software development practices are modern, including continuous integration, git, code review, stand-ups. New C++ code is C++14 plus Boost. Equipment is modern. Solaris is a third-class platform. The intern program is well-run and serious.

Cons

Lunch is only catered in on Tuesdays and Fridays. Like everywhere else, way too much of the code is awful, although unlike most other places, serious time is devoted to making it better. Employees are issued Macbooks, by default, and IT officially supports only Macs, which stinks if you detest Apple; although they do try their best, cheerfully, for the rest. Developers seem to mostly run Ubuntu on the desktop, which is icky, but nobody forces it; I have seen Fedora, Debian, even BSD and Windows. There are no offices; rooms with a door are parceled out by the hour. Bathroom stalls at the New York office are becoming oversubscribed. Much of the support code is in Go. They frequently hire CS instead of engineering graduates, who then need to be taught to be engineers.

Insurance is Cigna. Almost everything that can be outsourced is, so you will spend the first week making accounts on outside web sites for everything from paycheck deposits to the org chart. Development mostly goes on only at the New York office; remote development spots are unlikely, although there are sales support and customer engineering openings all over the world. Although the software is Free on github (with tests), it's nobody's job to look at pull requests. Stock option offerings are nothing to retire on. Free snacks include the usual, plus cheese, hummus, and yogurt, but not organic.

9. "Amazing Place to work"

Pros

Great culture, great location, great people. Free lunch twice a week, fitness classes on site, unlimited time off. It's awesome!

Cons

The only suggestion for making the company better would be to implement a company match on employee 401k contributions. Not much else to ask for!

10. "NoSQL DB Leader"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Phenomenal Sales Team: Best in the industry sales team.
    - Investment in new hires: The amount of training to new hires is fantastic.
    - Culture: MongoDB did an excellent job of making every employee feel like part of the mission of making this company successful.
    - Market leadership: There are a lot of NoSQL DBs out there, but MongoDB is the clear leader, and it is positioning itself as the NoSQL standard in most large enterprises.

Cons

- Growth rate causes some chaos at times
    - There is a lot to do, prioritization can be challenging

Advice to Management

Keep up with the innovation, transparency, and continue to hire great people.