MongoDB Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MongoDB CEO Dev Ittycheria
Dev Ittycheria

Pros
  • Great flexibility, honesty, lots of opportunity to grow and work life balance are the major theme of my daily work here (in 13 reviews)

• There are a lot of really smart people at MongoDB combined with a nurturing culture (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to set your own limits as far as work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Like any fast-growing company, some groups can occasionally get ahead of others (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great & Keeps Getting Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MongoDB offers a challenging job in a growing marketing. I am surrounded by super bright, ambitious people. It's very exciting to be working at a technology disrupter. People are fun and good humored. Office is gorgeous and we get all sorts of great benefits such as lunches 2x a week, unlimited snacks, a constant parade of treats "just because", department retreats, discounts to gyms, etc. The real benefit is the fun, interesting work. Management and senior execs are supportive and care about employees. No job is perfect but can't think of a better place.

Cons

You have to set your own limits as far as work/life balance. Managers will respect boundaries, but you have to know when to recharge. No one is going to tell you.

"Best job I've ever had."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees get to work on whatever they want in the context of MongoDB and make it open source. Incredible engineering team that is based in New York City. The opportunity to make a dent in the universe by changing the way people think about building applications and working with data.

Cons

Company business model based on services rather than products.

Advice to Management

Continue to have the engineers be in charge.

3. "Great company, amazing experience"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

Amazing team. Amazing technology. A chance to change the industry. Lots of fun. Growing very fast; small now but has a real chance to grow into a great technology company.

Cons

Fast growth creates some chaos. Sometimes it feels like there is just too much work to do. Everything you'd expect in a company that's gone from 25 to 200 in two years I guess.

"Incredible talent, meteoric company."

Pros

– Top industry talent.
    – Good pay.
    – Lots of interesting projects.
    – The company is experiencing tremendous growth.

Cons

– Fast growth may lead to restructuring.
    – There's also a lot of less interesting work to be done.

Advice to Management

Really push the product to be everything it can be – I love using MongoDB, and it works well now, but everyone at the company knows there are many more improvements that need to be made.

Also, the higher executives should probably engage more with employees on an everyday level – execs can often be seen moving throughout the office without knowing many of their employees names or even saying hello. As the company grows, it becomes less feasible to know most people, but it didn't even seem like there was much effort to personally connect with employees. A nitpick, no doubt, but worth mentioning nonetheless.

6. "Great technology, smart people, moving really fast"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

Really cool technology that customers/users love.

Staff is smart, hard working, and fun.

Company is growing extremely fast so there are lots of opportunities for professional development.

Office space is awesome (adjustable height desks!!) and there are great perks (free bootcamp & yoga classes, free lunch 2x/week, annual all company meeting, social events like trivia night).

Cons

Fast growth so be prepared for constant change.

There are definitely opportunities for advancement but there isn't a clear path - you have to seek it out yourself.

There is so much to do - it can be hard to know when to stop!

7. "Challenging and fun place to work"

Pros

Everyday is a different challenge

Cons

Hard to think of any cons to working here

"MongoDB THE place to be... hehe that rhymes."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Where to begin... This is the culture for people who want to experience the upside of being in a start up without the concern for its future. Everyone here is technical, and I can have enthused discussions about technology with every level of this company. When the product you are building has engineers in mind, so too does the management.

Saw a recent post about the CTO. In his defense I don't feel anything "cult like" here whatsoever. I challenge anyone to find a guy who is more approachable and involved in the company on so many levels. His vision of what should be done is an informed one, and more importantly it is one that shows real passion, he is at a desk coding with everyone else, not in a corner office glad handing. Personally, I appreciate that.

I've never experienced a work environment that dealt with assimilation of new hires as seamlessly as MongoDB. I felt welcomed right away.

Biggest Pro: The people here. "Word Class" just doesn't quite cover it.

Cons

Like every company, MongoDB has some growing pains. It is a company growing extremely quickly and this sometimes means directional changes that can feel jarring or frustrating to employees. I experienced a bit of this myself. However, these changes are typically very transparent and seem to gravitate around a general theme of what is best for the employees and the future of this company. Having said that, I would not trade this occasional feeling for a larger environment with a less exciting trajectory.

Advice to Management

Some personal touches with the employees could go a long way. We are a company asking a lot of people, sometimes a light personal touch can mean the difference between a happy employee vs a disenfranchised one. Remember, that this accelerated growth is new to many of us. I believe in what we are accomplishing, and we are all working towards the same goal, lets stay in touch with the elements of our culture which made us this successful in the first place.

"Join MongoDB, You will love it!!!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding technology
    Extremely bright co-workers
    Fast growing company
    Customers love the product.
    The vast majority of your colleagues are fun

Cons

All senior leadership positions are filled with outsiders.
    Opportunities for advancement are null. One person is promoted to manager for every 20 senior VP positions with folks from MarkLogic.
    Some egos are a little bit "too" big.

Advice to Management

Your assumption that all "early" day employees do not know how to work in a "big" company is wrong.
    People were here early because they believed in the message, the company and the people, not because they could not get a job at IBM.

"Terrific Company"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic facilities, bright and fun atmosphere, really nice HR people, super-smart leaders, amazing salary/perks (even by Startup standards) - What I really like is the transparency, I've never worked anywhere where the CEO pretty much tells everyone everything that's happening. High trust environment.

Cons

Being a fast growing company means frequent changes and occasional left turns. Probably not ideal if you're slow to adapt.

Advice to Management

Don't you go changing.... ;)

"Not perfect, but pretty darn close"

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales/Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous, good people that work hard, expect much but are also kind.
    Leader in a market that is transforming how data is managed.
    Great story behind the company. Makes it easy to explain what we do, and why.
    Salary and benefits are solid, though not overwhelmingly so.
    Highly ambitious company vision.

Cons

Far enough along that the stock grants are not stratospheric. (Still, assuming the company matches its ambition, any amount of stock is worthwhile here.)
    Some areas of the company stronger than others in terms of personnel, though all areas are constantly upgrading.

Advice to Management

Geeky DNA sometimes diluted by salesy next generation. Needs to keep to its engineering roots/focus.
    Hiring from within has gotten better, and needs to keep getting better.