MongoDB Reviews | Glassdoor

MongoDB Reviews

Updated February 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great flexibility, honesty, lots of opportunity to grow and work life balance are the major theme of my daily work here (in 12 reviews)

• There are a lot of really smart people at MongoDB combined with a nurturing culture (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The usual "problems of prosperity" when a company is growing this quickly (in 10 reviews)

• Work/life balance is promoted here, it can just be tough to pull it off at times (in 10 reviews)

"An Awesome Fast Growing Compay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

- You're surrounded by a myriad of highly intelligent individuals.
    - The company is growing faster than ever.
    - We keep setting high goals and keep making them.
    - Experienced and driven leadership.

Cons

Nothing serious comes to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Software Engineering Intern"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY

Pros

You're a full member of your team and are given all the same responsibilities as full time engineers. People are super smart and also willing to help and explain if you're confused on anything. Fun intern events and awesome fellow interns.

Cons

Nothing really, especially as an intern.

"Strange culture"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

Fast growing company and the technology is solid. Seems we are widely respected in the marketplace and there are a growing number of uses cases and proof points, we seem to be gaining major traction

Cons

The culture is pretty bad, overall a negative place to work, maybe it is just my team, i don't know. Major pressure on short term results vs long term planning (at least on the sales side of things), hire and fire kind of culture.

Advice to Management

Make this a place to have a career as opposed to just a job on our resumes, it feels like management doesn't actually care about employees that much, just ACV

"Had a lot of work to do.."

I worked at MongoDB full-time

Pros

- Really loved how close knit my team was
    - Knew everyone in the office
    - Met some really great people and leaders in the industry
    - Picked up a lot of awesome skills that I still use to this day

Cons

- Met some really awful people
    - Engineers are so smart...they are also so not humble about
    - Some of the upper management were also incredibly intelligent..and most of them were not humble about. They created a culture of fear and not being able to ask questions or stumble without being made to feel stupid. Almost zero respect for the people that work below them.
    - Poor management/management training; I left because I was micro managed by an inexperienced manager who used me a guinea pig to learn. My manager did not have my back and pigeonholed me into a position and told that I would not be promoted or paid for work I was already doing just because there was no budget for it and and they needed someone to work two different roles for lesser pay.

Advice to Management

Be humble. Train managers well. Talk to people like they're human beings worthy of respect.

"Overall good experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were great people and I was fortunate to meet a lot of friends across the country, many of whom I am still in touch with today. I learned how to navigate complex technical sales cycles and speak to technical and business audiences.

Cons

There was an exodus at one point. I think a lot of that contributed the revolving management door and people concerned about their stability.

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen to employees. We really want to see the company improve and we could be loyal if the same was felt toward us.

"SWE here for the long run"

Current Employee - SWE in New York, NY
    Current Employee - SWE in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work along the sides of brilliant minds. competitive pay & stock options. Flexible working hours. Turnover is low for a reason. Great name to have on your resume! I had the ability to change team after finishing up my project - The Future looks bright!

Cons

I don't see too much down sides of working here. I've been given everything i've wanted. You don't get chefs or people who do your laundry but thats not something I need.

"Great company to work at"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

culture, leadership and pay are out standing

Cons

None that i can think of

"Definition of micro management"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB (More than a year)

Pros

As an enterprise account manager, they pay you a very high commission rate (15%) for your first 6 months. Thats the only pro I saw.

Cons

Extreme micro managing in the sales org. Upper layers of sales management do not respect the RSM role, as a rep your direct boss is a puppet who can't effect any change or make any decisions on their own. "Sales/pipeline generation process" is more rewarded than actual results, they keep and love people who follow their process to a T, but have poor numbers. The churn policy is the worst in SW sales right now. You get docked -11% on your commission for not bringing a renewal in, even if it is an account you are taking over from a previous rep. Problem is, Mongo waited to long to build an enterprise product that corporations would use, so there is significant churn. These companies that signed up for support a while ago are not renewing, because they have figured out how to do all the "cool things" that are in MongoDB Enterprise Advanced. Sales management are good from a sales perspective, but they are are poor in regular areas of life. You start to look at these guys and understand, they have nothing in their life but work, it's a pretty sad scenario. They assume all their reps have no life as well, but indeed they do.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking there is only one way to do things. Process is important I agree, but be open to different techniques and styles of selling. Or just keep finding spineless people to be your reps who will follow orders.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MongoDB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MongoDB is a company that is invested in the long term in both their customers and their employees. The company culture is welcoming to employees with diverse backgrounds and cultures. There are a lot of really smart people at MongoDB combined with a nurturing culture.

Cons

Company is stabilizing which causes a bit of stagnation.
    Engineering feels a bit removed from the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent and committed to your employees. Don't lose sight of the great culture you have.

"Sales Culture Needs to Change"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of smart people, lunch provided 2x per week, strong financial backing. Trying to position ourselves in the market as a disruptor.

Cons

Upper management does not care about their employees. Everyone is disposable, and there has been a rotating cast of characters over the last year+, especially as it relates to the sales team. The politics here trump everything else, and many do not see eye to eye with the long term vision. Unrealistic goals set for sales, hard to make numbers unless you have a "good patch". It is unfortunate that there seems to be the notion that you can make a great living here, as those days seem to be long gone.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, really listen. It is not difficult to be respectful and allow the underlings to have voices here. There needs to be a serious change in how people think and communicate with one another.